• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More Information needed in Sub-Zero Insulation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMutt

More detailed information needed after watching "How to prep your video card"

How many layers of Armaflex was use on the GPU Pot????? I have a TEK-9 Fat with 1 layer already applied. Do I need to add a second layer???

In the video, he is prepping an HD-5870 for LN2 benching by using Eraser all over the board. I also plan later to bench an HD-5870 with Dice but first will be an Asus R9 290x P-Matrix. Both cards are already prepped with LET except in the VRM area. I have heard that you can use a fan over the VRM area???
Can I use a fan over the VRM section or go by the video and completely cover that area with Eraser?????

Since I have prepped both cards with LET, what do I use to close the gap between the GPU and POT. Do I use Eraser to fill it in or use window weather stripping insulation???

I know this is a double post but since hardly anyone looks at the very first sticky in here, I started a thread.

More detailed information needed after watching "How to prep your video card"

How many layers of Armaflex was use on the GPU Pot????? I have a TEK-9 Fat with 1 layer already applied. Do I need to add a second layer???

In the video, he is prepping an HD-5870 for LN2 benching by using Eraser all over the board. I also plan later to bench an HD-5870 with Dice but first will be an Asus R9 290x P-Matrix. Both cards are already prepped with LET except in the VRM area. I have heard that you can use a fan over the VRM area???
Can I use a fan over the VRM section or go by the video and completely cover that area with Eraser?????

Since I have prepped both cards with LET, what do I use to close the gap between the GPU and POT. Do I use Eraser to fill it in or use window weather stripping insulation???

I know this is a double post but since hardly anyone looks at the very first sticky in here, I started a thread.

Yes one layer of arma is enough. I also put a small bead of eraser around the core but inside the bolts/screws for the pot to help keep air away from the exposed copper. Then wrap the pot with a shop towel and hold it in place with masking tape or an elastic band. You don't need to worry about the VRM getting wet since they run hot. You will need a good strong fan blowing on them constantly. I also fold a shop towel in half and hold it to the back of the card with elastics. Helps keep the frost build up to a minimum.

Witchy even though you have "cough" RETIRED "cough" you are a HUGE FOUNTAIN OF KNOWLEDGE :thup:

Please enjoy your rest while guiding the NOOB Overclockers :)

Nice guide Witchy but I wonder if the insulation on the back is a bit heavy for some of these hot cards. I say that because, when benching the 980Ti I had some towels bunched up in there and had to remove them. I was having trouble keeping the temp down under load even at -80c but allowing more air back there improved the temp spikes.

I don't know, the insulation on the back prevents condensation that creates frost and can kill your GPU.
It also cuts down on frost melting down into the PCIe slot

The guide was done with a HD7970. However I have done every card I have benched in this manner.
good news is you can always pull it off if it becomes problematic. :)

I could list 3/4's of our Benching Team, that has assisted me with my DICE Benching. Here are just a few names and if I forget you I apologize : Janus67, Witchy, Mandrake4565, EarthDog, and Johan45. Last year was a fun time playing with DICE but I had a problem of loosing my cooling power after about 4 hours. This year I used a mouse pad to cover my CPU, from Blaylock's suggestion. This made it easier to verify that I had the pot in the correct position on each mount. I had E_D at a lose on why I was losing my cooling, well I skipped basics 102, where they tell you not to let the POT Runith over. I have included 2 pictures to help show. This could also be attributed to having a better OC chip. My highest CPU Freq LAST year was with a FX-8350 @ 6219.64 with 1.872v. My highest CPU Freq THIS year was with a FX-8370 @ 6321.08 with 1.752v. Hopeful this means that I still have 100~300MHz in the gas tank.
I attribute this to : Using pure Acetone as my cooling liquid and not letting the POT overflow.

1481362.jpg

1596949.jpg

I thank you guys for all the help that you have given :salute:
I see the special heart doc about the pacemaker this morning :(

Back