• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High School Case Build (3D printed/laser cut acrylic)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
IMG_4701.JPG
Here is the build process up to date. We are about 90% done and just need to add the doors and laser engrave the logos of the companies that sponsored the build. My students have far exceeded my expectations and I hope you get as much enjoyment from this as I do. The secondary res. turned out amazing. We had a huge amount of space to the right of the mobo so we decided to cut down on the amount of bends needed by making the secondary res. We used the laser cutter to cut 40% of the way though the acrylic to make the lettering and my mind was blown when we put the lights against it.
IMG_4735.JPG

IMG_4734.JPG

IMG_4716.JPG

IMG_4720.JPG

IMG_4760.JPG

IMG_4759.JPG

IMG_4761.JPG

Wow, looks amazing!

Also, I love the FAIL sign on the wall, great inspiration for students.

Looks amazing!

Your lab is very clean and unclutter as well...that is also a very good lesson for the students!

:thup:

What's the cooling like? I'd imagine the 360 is a little light for everything in the loop, isn't it?

in the first pic there is also a 240 rad but I don't see it installed in any of the pics, maybe its hidden somewhere or just not installed

We have stress tested it with several high end software platforms designed to put it through its paces (3D mark and others) and with only the 360 in the loop we are holding steady at 45-50C. and the video cards didn't even get warm. According to Intel, the 5930K we are running is good up to 105C (Not that I will ever let it get that hot). The rad is really well built and I would recommend Hardware Labs to anyone. It is by far the nicest one we have ever used. Also, If it doesn't perform after a few days we will be adding the 240 to the loop as well.

The newer versions of 3D Mark do a pretty decent job of testing out the GPU's. If you really want to stress test the loop run Unigine Heaven benchmark (free) for the GPU's. You can place this benchmark in a loop to get a better idea of what hours of gaming will do to it. For CPU testing I like to use Prime95 Small FFT's for testing OC stability and blend for full system stability. I would not recommend running Heaven and P95 blend at the same time in your config. You will reach your max temp in a fairly short order. Great for testing the maximum ability of your system though.

Blaylock, Thank you for the advice. I'll run those programs and let you know the final result.

I ran the Heaven bench marking tool for 3 hours straight today during class on ultra settings and these are the averages:
GPU temp 1: 45C
GPU 2 Temp : 38C

Max FPS 160
Min 45
Average was around 70FPS on ultra settings.

Interested to see how those fans hold up. I had an issue with one of those after about 2 months. Build looks great though, i love that waterfall res.

The fans move a TON of air. So far (I know it's only been a week) they are holding up nicely. Very quiet and they are vibration free. As far as the bench mark testing. We have not overclocked the gpu's any at all. The processor has been overclocked to 4.5 from 3.5 with some voltage modifications and is running very stable. We have ran into some issues trying to overclock the RAM and had some stability issues when overclocking it by even a small amount. Temps were recorded from the heaven engine so that that for what they are worth. Motherboard has build in CPU temp on the troubleshooting LED panel after boot. It's staying around 32-33C during basic operation and 49C was max temp during the 3 hour bench marking loop. That was max temp taken by the software so they could be off but I don't have any other method to test temp. One thing to consider is the res is holding almost a quart of extra fluid, and my room stays somewhere around 67-70 all year round. That could be helping things out but either way, I'm pumped that the students made a dream of mine a reality. Taking 3D printing and laser cutting to a whole new level. Thanks for the support!

Back