• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What NOT to do when cleaning...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
He could have been cleaning the hold down bracket with the chip removed or the socket cover removed and the towel snagged on the pins.

Original post in Facebook - ASUS RoG UK, 20 February 12:00. Reposted Tuesday 17:07.

Let's get back to the topic at hand please! :)

Trents, if you would like to dig deep, please create a different thread for your issue.

I don't see lint from the towel, I think he did it by using his hand then tacking a picture of his destruction.

Last edited:
I don't see lint from the towel, I think he did it by using his hand then tacking a picture of his destruction.

If he did do it with a towel you have to admire the man's patience to removing it ? maybe apply said patience to bend the pins back into place ?

If you do get a bit of paste on the pins, if its a small like string of paste, I have just left it alone with no problems at all. But I mean like a hair size string of paste from higher viscosity stuff. A thick glob ....... just.....use a....... towel! 😂

Dishwashers actually work very well for cleaning motherboards, FWIW.

You sure it was thermal paste and not something else? ;)

At least the bottom half of the socket is still OK, think it'll still boot? lol

Looks like he created a nice winter traction device to toss in his trunk. It probably digs into the ice rather well.

Dishwashers actually work very well for cleaning motherboards, FWIW.

Really? I guess if you rinsed it off with distilled water and dried it rather well there shouldn't be any issue I guess. Not something I would of thought of, granted I doubt I would of dropped thermal grease/paste on an emtpy socket either.

When I was still working in a board stuffing house, we used the equivalent of a dishwasher to clean the fused board assembly.

I found that just plain newspaper does a really good job of cleaning paste off the IHS, like as good as alcohol. It is magic. ** Not a joke

Back