• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Build log] My dream machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From what I've read here and other forums ASUS is hit and miss with RMA's. Though you should be fine because they generally support their higher end products more that their budget stuff...and that Poseidon would certainly qualify as high end. :)

That's a drag, hope all goes well.
I have had many RMA' s with Asus and have found their tech support and RMA process excellent

Well the problem is that they had a sticker on the screw on the back plate that I broke to take the back plate off... will they void me now?! I never took it apart...
I'm tripping out lol this card is EXPENSIVE.
Someone tell me it's ok lol

20160229_080922-1-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are going to have too, hopefully they are ok with it ?

You have given them a reason to void it, hopefully they don't

I know this does not mean much now, but for heavens sake moving forward always check operational status prior to altering any hardware

Best of luck man :)

Well it was operational. It just blew up on full load.. really strange.
I'm hoping they will RMA it still.. because it is a $700 GPU..
But looking around on the net it looks like asus can be some real jerks about RMA'ing

Should I see if I can buy one of those little void stickers lol

Like I said, they have been stand up for me,
Just be up front with them and hope they hook you up.

Ok yeah I read somewhere that the screw stickers are mainly for the Asian market and doesn't include NA/EU markets.
Well wish me luck! I'm overnighting it today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Ok yeah I read somewhere that the screw stickers are mainly for the Asian market and doesn't include NA/EU markets.
That would be the first I heard of that... hopefully it is true.

Did you tell them up front that you painted the back plate? I would be sure you take pictures of the backplate to prove there wasn't contact and shorting that did it. Take some pictures of the damage as well (post it here) and keep it for your records.

That would be the first I heard of that... hopefully it is true.

Did you tell them up front that you painted the back plate? I would be sure you take pictures of the backplate to prove there wasn't contact and shorting that did it. Take some pictures of the damage as well (post it here) and keep it for your records.

It currently looks exactly like it did out of box now and I haven't said anything about painting it yet. And there is no psychical damage just the smell of burned plastic.

Edit.... link...

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18643771

You own an ASUS. That link mentions MSI cards and the sticker...

Earlier you said there was damage on the card, now there isn't physical damage and you smelled burned plastic? I am confused. What actually happened?

Back plate looks painted to me ?
Is any other part of the card painted ?

You could order a new one, put the un-pianted back plate on the fried card , RMA it and end up with SLI out of the deal

I was thinking that too, or sell the RMA replacement if/when it comes in to re-coup the cost.

No it never had damage on it. When I put the card under load. (Started up fallout 4) my computer was simultaneously turning on and off and the video card between the pcie slot and the fan port on gpu was sparking. Initially I thought it was the ram but it was the gpu.
It is now undetectable and my computer runs fine without it.
As far as the paint. I REMOVED THE WHITE PLASTI DIP so it now looks like it was never touched.
When I get home I can send pics...
I'm on mobile and don't know how to resize pics on my galaxy s4 besides cropping

Also the video card smells fried. Stunk up my room for the rest of the day.. I'm assuming there was an internal short as there are no traces of water leakage especially where it was sparking. There is a very slight black spot where the sparking was happening.

I live in indiana so they will have my package via ups by morning.

Sorry for the confusion guys. But Is everyone understanding now?

Last edited:
Ok so I'll have to redo some of my rigid tubing to go from the bottom rad straight to the monoblock and use the i7 6700ks on board gpu to get you guys some pics...

But I did have a thought... isn't it possible that I could of fried the pci slot instead of the gpu? I never even thought of trying the gpu in a different slot.. :/

Back