• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sapphire 290x crossfire. need to confirm hdmi will do 4k 60htz with my 4k tv!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goto35

Registered
So i had this vision of using a super powerful htpc. Then `it turned into lets make a super powerful gaming pc and really enjoy that new 70 inch 4k Sharp that i just bought.

So ive spend a good amount of money bought all parts and will put together this weekend.

Question is will this 290x support 60htz or will i need to use somekind of displayport adapter?

pc will be i7-6700k samsung 950pro m.2 ssd with dual 290x crossfire.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=0E63775E-3F9E-40E1-A9F9-6AC2E5B21473&lang=eng

Here are specs:
GPU 2816 Stream Processors
28 nm
Graphics Core Next (GCN)
1000 MHz Engine Clock
Interface PCI-Express 3.0
Memory 512 bit Memory Bus
GDDR5 Memory Type
4096 MB Size
BIOS Support Legacy BIOS
UEFI BIOS
Displays Maximum 4 Outputs
Output 2 x DVI-D
1 x HDMI
1 x DisplayPort
Resolution 4096x2160 Pixel DisplayPort Resolution
2560x1600 Pixel Dual Link DVI Resolution
4096x3112 HDMI Resolution
API OpenGL® 4.3
OpenCL 2.0
DirectX® 12
Shader Model 5.0
Feature AMD CrossFire
AMD PowerTune
AMD ZeroCore Power Technology
AMD Eyefinity
Quad HD Display (4K*2K Support)
AMD HD3D Technology
AMD Tress FX technology
AMD TrueAudio technology
Universal Video Decoder (UVD)
Cooling Tri-X fans
Form Factor 2 Part Slot Occupied
277(L)X104(W)X35(H) Dimension /mm
Power Consumption <300W
OS Windows 10 Windows 8/8.1 Windows 7 Windows Vista Windows XP 
System Requirement 750 Watt Power Supply (Suggestion)
1 x 8-pin AUX Power Connector
1 x 6-pin AUX Power Connector
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive for installing software
PCI Express® 2.0 or higher version based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard in order for the card to be compatible with.
Accessory
Specifications provided here are for guidance only. Please check with your regional distributor or dealer for latest specifications.
Colors of PCB or other components may differ from those illustrated.
SAPPHIRE reserves the right to update or revise specifications without prior notice.
All trademarks and logos are acknowledged as the property of their respective holders.

If I am not mistaken AMD graphic cards are not HDMI 2.0 therefore can not do 4K 60Hz using HDMI. You will have to connect with the Displayport for 4K 60Hz.

What is the TV model?

The R9 290X will do 4K @ 60Hz, but it may be DisplayPort only. Can't find a solid source for the HDMI version.

So it looks like I'll need a DisplayPort to hdmi 2.0 cable to get 60hz. Things just keep getting more complicated with my ultimate htpc setup!

So it looks like I'll need a DisplayPort to hdmi 2.0 cable to get 60hz. Things just keep getting more complicated with my ultimate htpc setup!

You didn't answer my first question. Your TV might not run 60Hz on a PC input.

Well, I would try just a normal HDMI cable and see if it pushes 60Hz.
If it doesn't, try an active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, but make sure it supports 2.0 or higher.

It looks like all AMD graphics cards only support 60hz from displayport only FYI The HDMI is only 1.4.

Back