• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for new monitor and SSDs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dark_QTR

Registered
Hey all

So i'm thinking about getting rid of my old 2X WD raptor 10,000rpm at (RAID0) setup and replace them with SSD's. I have been running this setup for literally like 5 years and its reliable as hell. but I think its time to make a switch. I'm also thinking about getting a new gaming monitor.

For SSD's, I'm looking for something good for gaming, but im not sure If I should take one giant SSD (eg 500GB) or 2x250gb and RAID them.... around 140$
As for the gaming monitor, it would be 24" 1080p 120 1ms.. around 350-400$

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother to RAID SSDs... Just grab a large single one. Samsung 850 Evo/Pro or OCZ Vector 180/Trion 150 are solid as are a few others.

Gaming monitors are not my thing. I would look in the Displays section while you wait for help as people ask about monitors there. :)

I wouldn't bother to RAID SSDs... Just grab a large single one. Samsung 850 Evo/Pro or OCZ Vector 180/Trion 150 are solid as are a few others.

Gaming monitors are not my thing. I would look in the Displays section while you wait for help as people ask about monitors there. :)

I agree, most of the raided SSDs are out of convenience than speed, aka like the two Intel 520s I had. I had them in RAID0 not because it was faster but because it was cheaper than buying a single 250GB at the time. We're about to RAID my coworker's laptop because again it was cheaper to buy a OEM $45 m2 SSD @ 128GB than it was to buy a 256GB 850 EVO. As for SSD brands I don't like and have never liked Sandforce. Whenever people ask what's best I normally use the Apple rule which is if they use it then there's likely a reason for that either because of cost or reliability.

So my three in this order would be: Intel, Samsung, Toshiba. PCI-E being the preferred delivery method if you've got the dough as SATA 6gb tops off at 500MB/s R&W where as the PCI-E drives hover around 1-3gb/s per drive depending on it's configuration.

Same Apple rule applies to the LCD panel. LED > OLED not because its a better picture but because OLED is prone to burn-in and ghosting. The absolute best panel in LED you can buy is Sharp's IGZO (same panel used by the iPhone) which is a variant of the IPS design except that there is no gap of air between the panel and the glass so there is less reflection back at the user.

I know it sounds cheesy but Apple's purchasing agents are some of the best in the industry and their hardware picks tend to be ahead of the curve most of the time. I know the current R9 m370X that's in the MBP 15" isn't a barn burner but I don't think anyone on here would deny that as far as GPUs go AMD is on the ascendency not NVidia hence why they were dropped as OpenCL is going to gain in importance as time goes on.

Last edited:
For clarity, the latest OCZ drives, including the two I mentioned, use the Toshiba controller, not sandforce. Also, sandforce is a controller in (a few) SSDs, not a brand. :)

I agree, most of the raided SSDs are out of convenience than speed, aka like the two Intel 520s I had. I had them in RAID0 not because it was faster but because it was cheaper than buying a single 250GB at the time. We're about to RAID my coworker's laptop because again it was cheaper to buy a OEM $45 m2 SSD @ 128GB than it was to buy a 256GB 850 EVO. As for SSD brands I don't like and have never liked Sandforce. Whenever people ask what's best I normally use the Apple rule which is if they use it then there's likely a reason for that either because of cost or reliability.

So my three in this order would be: Intel, Samsung, Toshiba. PCI-E being the preferred delivery method if you've got the dough as SATA 6gb tops off at 500MB/s R&W where as the PCI-E drives hover around 1-3gb/s per drive depending on it's configuration.

Same Apple rule applies to the LCD panel. LED > OLED not because its a better picture but because OLED is prone to burn-in and ghosting. The absolute best panel in LED you can buy is Sharp's IGZO (same panel used by the iPhone) which is a variant of the IPS design except that there is no gap of air between the panel and the glass so there is less reflection back at the user.

I know it sounds cheesy but Apple's purchasing agents are some of the best in the industry and their hardware picks tend to be ahead of the curve most of the time. I know the current R9 m370X that's in the MBP 15" isn't a barn burner but I don't think anyone on here would deny that as far as GPUs go AMD is on the ascendency not NVidia hence why they were dropped as OpenCL is going to gain in importance as time goes on.

Thanks for the replies, and I get it.. rading might be out of my scope. I'll get the 500GB EVO from Amazon,

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-I...F8&qid=1457006418&sr=8-1&keywords=500+evo+ssd

160$ and free shipping seems to be a good deal

I wouldn't say it's out of your scope in the sense that it's too hard for you. It's really quite easy its just that it isn't cost effective unless you already have a drive and you need additional storage.

I wouldn't say its hard, but correct me if I'm wrong. I think rading 2 SSD's might bottleneck my current setup. I have seen some benchmarks and it seems like a raid will double the performance. But im not sure if im going to use the full potential from that

Last edited:
I wouldn't say its hard, but correct me if I'm wrong. I think rading 2 SSD's might bottleneck my current setup. I have seen some benchmarks and it seems like a raid will double the performance. But im not sure if im going to use the full potential from that

Well like I said, I had a RAID-ed SSD from back in the early days and the honest truth is that while they look good on benchmarks they don't do a whole lot in the real world. The choice should be more geared to either a PCI-E raid or a single SSD. The SATA controller can only do about 500mb/s per drive and the more you add the more latency goes with it and so it ends up being a net neutral. Raiding is only "good" if you're doing like a RAID1 or 5 setup for redundancy as the gain you get is offset by the controller's latency not your PC per say.

Now PCI-E changes that but I really doubt you are looking to drop $500-3000 on a HDD.

How would SSD's bottleneck your PC?

And yes, you do get double the bandwidth. But do you transfer large files to something as fast? It will help with loading some things a bit quicker. It will slow down boot times (have to load the RAID ROM now) in most cases. It also adds another layer of complexity that is pointless since it doesn't yield much in return. I wouldn't bother.

Now PCI-E changes that but I really doubt you are looking to drop $500-3000 on a HDD.
Say what?! Samsung 950 Pro is $327 for a 512GB (not including PCIe adapter). Though on his system it will be neutered I believe (PCIe 2.0).

Back