• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Skylake locks up just browsing the web and watching videos.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So......did you ADD A bit of voltage as was suggested? We didn't aso if it was ok.. just to add some. :)

What about the other suggestions? This is proving to be difficult if you aren't responding to the suggestions wingy....:-/

I tried everything but adding voltage, how much v-core voltage do you recommend?

Someone suggested doing a proper memtest on that system as well as some other great ideas. Upping the vCore a bit etc. I'll only add 1 thing to this. Your PSU is a 330W supply. I would certainly check and see if that thing is compatible with the ultra low power states the Hawell and newer processors currently use. I personally think that a 330W supply even from SS is a bit small and chances of it being 'full featured' are slim imho. Please do test some of the great ideas offered and DO let us know what happens . peace out

Z

I did a overnight Prime 95 blend test, also did a memory test with windows and mem86. Thanks for the update on the PSU I'm checking if it is ultra low power state compliant.

The motherboard has C6/C7 and C8 I disabled them, what does C8 do?

Last edited:
From the short trip I took at Google it seems C8 power states are used by the ULT processors. i.e the laptop/tablet processors. But what i did read is that this is one of those ultra low power states that your PSU must be able to deal with. If this thing goes so low on power it may be the PSU is sensing the system is off and thus trying to turn off. Again Im not real sure on this. I do remember tho a big stink going on a while back referring to certain PSU units . . . even a few years old . . . just are not compatible with the newer ultra low power states. It cant hurt but if you havent yet, turn off the C-states and see if it hangs while 'idle'. And I hate to be a dog on it but again 330W is a bit on the low side as far as PSU. I know Corsair said that anything below their 550W units would be hit or miss with the new power states and would not guarantee they would work together. I would guess most other manufacturers are doing the same thing. Please keep us posted :)

Z

I have turned off the c-states for c6/c7 and c-8 I will tell you how it goes it takes a long time for the problem to show it self. The processor has only locked up 5 times in a month.

Well it locked up at 5/1/16 only, so it is getting better, so I raised the V core +0.050v we will see how this goes.

Well I finely gave up tweaking trying to achieve no PC freezing. So I proceeded with a RMA with Intel that was painless also overnight cross shipping and the new skylake CPU has been rock solid at stock settings for 2 months.:clap:

Back