• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need More Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCTouchup

I've got a custom system i just built and am trying to get more overall performance out of it. I do video editing, some gaming and mostly just work that requires me to have anywhere from 4 to 10 programs open at once. Multitasking is very important to me. Suggestion are welcome!

Here's my stats:

2 Processors - Intel Xeon E5620 2.4GHz - Hyperthead Enables - 16 Total cores
24GB RAM 6x4GB PC3-10700U DDR3-1332 - I believe its ECC
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
Crucial CT500BX100 Solid State

Windows Rating is at:
Proc - 7.8
Memory - 7.8
Graphics - 7.9
Gaming Graphics - 7.9
HD - 7.7

The only thing i can think of is going with a PCI SSD to increase my performance. My GPU is not in heavy use even with 3 monitors running off it.

Welcome!! A couple of things...

1. You have 8 cores and a total of 16 threads... big difference!
2. The windows rating is borderline useless... ;)

That said, your processor(s) is(are) 6 years old my friend. A modern hex core would likely crush those two CPUs you have. Clock for clock they are WAY faster, and their core speeds start almost 50% higher (thinking 5820K at 3.5GHz).

If you want to improve gaming, get a better GPU. The 650Ti isn't really a gaming GPU in the first place. You say its not in heavy use... what games do you play? You talking web based?

I would honestly sell that and build new. Are you able to overclock those CPUs? That would likely be your only saving grace but unless you have an SR-2 motherboard that isn't happening either and it isn't worth it to buy one with that old hardware.

So, where are you lacking? You say overall performance... but can you be more specific?

Regardless, I still say you are in need of a full system upgrade.

What ED said are my same thoughts. Your main bottleneck is the dated CPU. Next would be the slow memory. Move up to a Skylake hex with 32gb of DDR4 2400 mhz or better RAM, get a good motherboard and good cooling and overclock her a little. You would see a huge improvement.

If you're looking to upgrade I would suggest a X99 with a 5930K and two newer GeForce GTX cards like the 970 or 980. It should handle anything you throw at it for quite some time. :D

+1 X99 with a 5930K and a GTX 980Ti. You deserve a break today when you multitask 4 things at a time.

Last edited:
If you're looking to upgrade I would suggest a X99 with a 5930K and two newer GeForce GTX cards like the 970 or 980. It should handle anything you throw at it for quite some time. :D

+1 X99 with a 5930K and a GTX 980Ti. You deserve a break today when you multitask 4 things at a time.

Can either of you elaborate what a 5930K brings to the table for PCTouchup which a 5820K doesn't?

Can either of you elaborate what a 5930K brings to the table for PCTouchup which a 5820K doesn't?

For me it's the lanes.

The 5930K has 40 lanes. I feel like it is more future proof. Plus on top of that I don't feel that a cherry 5820K will ever be able to clock as high as my 5930K which reaches 4.7GHz on water. If he isn't overclocking the 5930K is faster out of the box.

32 lanes to the graphics cards.
1 lane to my Wireless N PCIe card.
4 lanes for the Samsung 500GB M.2 SSD I have on order from Amazon.

Don't get me wrong. The Core i7-5820K is a sweet processor but I feel if you are going to get that processor you might as buy a z170 and a 6700K. Use the money saved to buy a Titan X.

This is of course my opinion and suggestion. I'm by no means an expert. :D

I it looks like the OP is not overclocking so the 5930K brings better performance, it's just another option Intel has. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1316?vs=1320

That is a very informative article. Thanks for sharing it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
My 5820k will do 4.7ghz, no problem. I had two that did, actually. :)

If the guy has multi gpu asperations, a 5930k could be prudent. Outsode of that, I don't see the point of dropping another $200 bills.

Good link wingy... those processors are pretty darn close performance wise out of the box....I was going to say that those increases may not be worth that $200 either.

But we haven't heard back from him yet...so, all we are doing here is guessing. He said he games, has 3 monitors and we are talking pcie lanes... let's give it time before we rock out.

Last edited:
My 5820k will do 4.7ghz, no problem. I had two that did, actually. :)

If the guy has multi gpu asperations, a 5930k could be prudent. Outsode of that, I don't see the point of dropping another $200 bills.

Good link wingy... those processors are pretty darn close performance wise out of the box....I was going to say that those increases may not be worth that $200 either.

But we haven't heard back from him yet...so, all we are doing here is guessing. He said he games, has 3 monitors and we are talking pcie lanes... let's give it time before we rock out.

Really? So much for that theory. :D That is really quite amazing. For a single graphics card that is a amazing CPU. You're making me rethink my stance on going for the 6700k instead.

In light of not knowing how many graphics chips he intends to use so far we can all agree on the X99 chipset. :D

I personally like the MSI X99A SLI Plus board. ASUS has good boards too but cost a little more.

unless you are going tri-sli /cf there is no need for the extra $200
the extra 200mhz stock speed is not worth it, just oc the chip to make up the difference

Back