• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop GPU amplifier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomic888

I am really interested in the new external GPU amplifiers that a few companies have released.
However by doing a Google Search I cannot find that much info.

The only laptops with an external GPU amplifier I found is the Alienware and MSI GS30 Shadow, however
the MSI GPU amplifier seems not to have been released yet.

Are there any other Laptops which support the new external GPU system and can you use for example the Alienware's
GPU amplifier with other branded laptops which will or already support such a system?

From what I understand, Msi and Alienware's external GPU enclosures use a proprietary connector meaning only their products or licensed products will be able to use them. While Asus and Razer have one that uses the new usb type C connector, so as long as the drivers are compatible and the laptop has that connector it may work. Not guaranteed.

From what I understand, Msi and Alienware's external GPU enclosures use a proprietary connector meaning only their products or licensed products will be able to use them. While Asus and Razer have one that uses the new usb type C connector, so as long as the drivers are compatible and the laptop has that connector it may work. Not guaranteed.

I guess I'll have to wait a bit for new releases.

I am looking to buy a new gaming laptop, however they are expensive and I may be much
better off with the external GPU system in terms of price and performance.

I guess I'll have to wait a bit for new releases.

I am looking to buy a new gaming laptop, however they are expensive and I may be much
better off with the external GPU system in terms of price and performance.
Maybe not due to the proprietary nature of the things. You will have to buy the enclosure and the GPU which could offset the cost of buying a laptop with a more appropriate gaming GPU already in it. You also lose portability so this is best for static use.

I don't recall how the ROG X2 connects, but that was neat at CES... http://www.overclockers.com/ces-2016-asus-displays-new-maximus-formula-amd-970-board-and-more/

I am not sold on these things.
The vast majority of people are better off buying a cheap laptop (300-400 dollar range) and then building a gaming desktop.
In my experience people way over buy on laptops based on their actual uses. For most it is word processing, some excel and surfing the internet.
To get anywhere near the performance of a desktop, gaming laptops come in at double the price.
I guess we would have to see how low end you could go on a laptop with the external GPU hooked up and still get a decent experience.

Back