• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Gaming Plasma?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redwraith94

I am looking for a high framerate (120 hz, or better) large format monitor. I love the blacks of OLED, which iirc plasma was close to. Are there any decent gaming plasma tvs out there? Used is fine. 4k is awesome, but it would require upgrading graphics cards, which probably couldn't feed 120 hz anyway, so 1080p (or around there) would be fine.

As far as I know nobody is making Plasma TVs anymore, so the odds of finding a 4K one are slim to none. You could try looking around for used Plasmas (Panasonics were generally regarded as the gold-standard), but generally most reviews would argue that the latency on a plasma is less than ideal for gaming, despite having a higher refresh rate (a bit misleading as many say 600hz but that isn't the same thing as LCD screens) and because of the almost inevitability of screen burn-in.

Go for a monitor unless you can find a TV specifically with a "Game Mode" or other direct input.

I really like the blacks of OLED. Unless there is someone who does a good job of dimming (I've heard of 'full matrix', but don't know if it is any good). I figured a used plasma would be the best bang for the buck for good blacks, and fast refresh.

What size are you trying to get?
For gaming you're going to have the best experience with a monitor due to input lag on TV's.

On that subject , do you know where I would find response times for TVs? Budget restricted minds would like to know. LOL

You'd have to find a site reviewing TV's which also tests input lag and response time.
Most sites aren't going to test this as almost all TV's have terrible input lag and response time
Of course, this doesn't matter when you're just watching, which is why most sites won't bother.

That (unfortunately) is what I was suspecting. Why do gaming consoles seem to function with TVs? Or is that just another reason consoles aren't as good as PCs?

That (unfortunately) is what I was suspecting. Why do gaming consoles seem to function with TVs? Or is that just another reason consoles aren't as good as PCs?

They function just fine, but I personally notice the input lag on a console.

Yeah I don't think plasma 4k exists as plasma is being killed off. My guess is you can get a plasma with a decent response time, but I don't know of any offhand. I don't think there is any (real) 120 hz televisions period, just ones that do interpolation on a 60 hz signal (increasing response time). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

*Plasma (and oled) will also burn in to some (noticeable) degree. I watch a lot of hearthstone players and have the playspace burnt in on mine.

Yeah I don't think plasma 4k exists as plasma is being killed off. My guess is you can get a plasma with a decent response time, but I don't know of any offhand. I don't think there is any (real) 120 hz televisions period, just ones that do interpolation on a 60 hz signal (increasing response time). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

*Plasma (and oled) will also burn in to some (noticeable) degree. I watch a lot of hearthstone players and have the playspace burnt in on mine.

Plenty of true 120Hz televisions out there. Response time is still an issue though.

Back