• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice/help requested w/ 8350 + Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + 32 GB 2400 MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That motherboard temp is about at it's limit assuming that's the socket temp you're referring to. You could try some fans on the VRM are and one on the back of the motherboard to help bring that down. Even so you're already hittig the high 50s and summer is right around the corner which typically means higher ambient temps.. Funny I would have thought that the swiftec would do a better job at cooling. Maybe post up a pic of HWMontitor while under load with P95 so we can have a look.

4.5 GHz at 1.428v (in CPU-Z) passed 3.5 hours of Prime95 blend. Max temp was 56 C, motherboard temp (not sure if socket or VRM) was 70 C.

Given this, how likely would it be for me to reach 4.6 or 4.7 GHz with <= 1.5v and what would be good ballpark voltages for trying at those speeds?

Since I'm watercooling, I'll look into 3D printing a duct to force my 140mm case exhaust fan to draw air from the VRM heatsink.

Based on the info given, I'd say you have no chance in achieving 4.7, let alone under 1.5v.
You're at the wall for both temp and a big vcore bump.

Rats!

Well it can't be helped. Thanks for the help, everyone. :)

Before Prime95

HWM before prime.png

During Prime95 (1 hour in)

HWM during prime.png

10 seconds after stopping Prime95

HWM 10 seconds after prime.png

Ambient temp is 72 F (22 C).

Last edited:
BTW I tried using a dryer vent and also card board to direct the rear fan but it really made no difference. A small fan on the back of the board and directly on the VRM did help a lot for socket temps.

Capturefan.PNG vrm fans.jpg bass.jpg back fan.jpeg

BTW I tried using a dryer vent and also card board to direct the rear fan but it really made no difference. A small fan on the back of the board and directly on the VRM did help a lot for socket temps.

Thanks for the advice and the pics! I have ordered some quiet 60x25mm fans. My board has a fairly decent heatsink, so I think the fans will cool it down nicely.

The way things are going I almost wonder if we don't see tiny backplate HSFs someday.

3.5 hours is stable in my book.

How likely all depends on the chip, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to though, it seems you have enough cooling, if you can get the socket temp down. Don't do ballpark with voltages, raise the multiplier and test if it fails add volts.

As far as the VRM getting as much air flowing on it is a very good idea, especially with water cooling. Also getting air flowing over the backside of the motherboard is helpful. As posted above.

Last edited:
Hmm...I might give it a try when the new fans are in place.

I'm thinking I can point a floor-sitting fan at the coolers only while stress-testing because temps will never get that high in normal loads (as long as voltage isn't crazy high).

Is that correct?

Also might add 2 more fans (of same type as the originals) to the radiator (in push-pull).

Getting more airflow around the board and also through the radiator definitely increases your chances.

I worked a bit on cooling this morning (as described above).

Passed 2.5 hr. Prime95 with 4.6 at 1.428v: 51 C CPU, 64 C Motherboard. Fans on the radiator went to 3k rpm. Max on them is actually 4k rpm. So it appears I have some headroom left.

I'll settle for that now - I want to confirm stability with normal use this week - and will probably try for 4.7 next weekend if all is well.

Sadly, I've been running (or trying to run) at stock the last 2 weeks. Some days it was perfectly stable; other days it was BSOD parade. I reset everything in the BIOS to defaults and double-checked every menu I could find many times over the last 2 weeks. No rhyme or reason to it...

Then I got lucky and caught the bug that was causing the trouble. I have the RAM manually set to 1.65v. Despite this, sometimes the board boots with it at 1.5v. #&^$*#&$ firmware!

What speed are you running it? If 2400 you might want to try a different BIOS

What speed are you running it? If 2400 you might want to try a different BIOS

1333, 1600, 1866. The board just randomly boots with RAM set to 1.5v instead of the 1.65v manually set.

Last night I left it locked and came back to find it had BSOD'd and RAM was set to 1.5v again. Not sure what's up with the computer, but it's really working on my nerves.

Yes it will. Take out two sticks to start and like I SUGGESTED TRY FLASHING A DIFFERENT bios ON THE BOARD. Sounds like something is a bit screwy. I have a bad habit of hitting caps lock too just fyi

Back