• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

psu fan problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tobpr13

hello,

just got a new psu. the Corsair VS550.
when im overclocking my g3258 above 4.x ghz the psu fan gets very loud.
so what is the problem? :confused:
should i replace my psu fan?

specs:

intel pentium g3258
asrock H81M-DGS mainboard
g.skill 8gb ddr3 ram
msi gtx 960 2gddr5
corsair vs550
cooler master hyper tx3 evo

Just found this using google:

"The VS series is based on CWT's GPA design, which is a very low end design and uses JunFu caps, which aren't very good. Low efficiency is another disadvantage.
The GPA series only goes up to 500W, so Corsair is again inflating the wattage number on the label.
It is in fact worse than the CX series."

Tho I'm sure that unit should be enough for your system as it's not power hungry, however the fan spinning up is normal as it's keeping itself cool. You might want to replace the psu itself with something a bit beefier. Replacing the fan is not advisable as you will void it's warranty. Another thing to note is messing around inside a psu is dangerous.

Good info neb about the poor PSU quality...

...that said, his system system won't pull more than 200W overclocked. PSU should be fine as you said. That fan ramping up so fast though.... no idea. It shouldn't ramp up that loud with such a little load.

Very true E_D. I'm thinking maybe dust build up and/or not enough airflow into the case towards the psu? That psu should be enough for that system.

It would be my guess that the VS series have really crappy fans. I haven't Googled around, but I did put one VS450(got it real cheap) in a system built around a G4400. Since it will be used to browse the web, there was no point spending more money on PSU. One thing I did notice was the obnoxious fan noise. Even when idle, the fan noise was irritating, while the case was on the table and the side panel was off.
My solution to the problem was forgetting about it. PC is for an elderly guy who will keep it under table and doesn't care about the extra noise (in his case, there actually will be less noise compared to his old PC).

the VS series in general is just really bad
just think of CS series and make it alot cheaper, poor quality components, bad qc, poor life span and you have VS series
the VS PSU's is not even sold in the US, mostly in europe from what I can tell

JunFu is garbage. Complete and utter garbage. Anybody remember Fuhjyyu capacitors? The ones with a massive failure rate that liked to destroy things? JunFu is what Fuhjyyu changed their capacitor naming to. Same caps.

Corsair has done something new: build a garbage, dangerous, PSU. Thanks corsair, way to try to cash in your name by producing a Logisys styll junkbox.

Return the VS550 and buy something better.
Now.

Back