• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX R7 360 - No signal after install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Talontd

Hi,

I recently purchased an XFX R7 360 graphics card for my HTPC and am getting no signal out of any of the outputs. No splash screen, no anything. The fans turn on and the motherboard shows error code 97. The computer is running a fresh install of Windows 10, and works properly when my backup 5000 series card is inserted into the same PCI-E slot. I have tried another slot, wiping old drivers with the Guru3d DDU, reinstalling Windows, resetting CMOS, & updating BIOS to no avail. I've been searching forums all weekend, but no reported solutions are working.

Installed components are:
MOBO- ASRock 890FX Deluxe5
CPU- AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz
MEM- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1600 MHz
POWER- EVGA 750w
OS HDD - SAMSUNG 830 Series 256GB

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Edit: Added PSU

Last edited:
Does the card work in another PC? That 97 code is a VGA issue IIRC. If the card works in another PC and not yours, there is some kind of compatibility issue there.

Is there a BIOS update for the card at its website?

Does the card work in another PC? That 97 code is a VGA issue IIRC. If the card works in another PC and not yours, there is some kind of compatibility issue there.

Is there a BIOS update for the card at its website?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The motherboard BIOS is running the latest version. New drivers have been installed from AMD site. Unfortunately, I only have 1 desktop so I am unable to try in another PC.

Let me say it another way :)... Is there an updated BIOS available for the GPU at the XFX website?

Honestly, you really need to try this in another PC. That will tell you if its dead or not. Otherwise, I would reach out and contact wherever you bought the card from and start an RMA. It seems like you went through a lot of the basic troubleshooting steps sans testing in another PC.

Let me say it another way :)... Is there an updated BIOS available for the GPU at the XFX website?

Honestly, you really need to try this in another PC. That will tell you if its dead or not. Otherwise, I would reach out and contact wherever you bought the card from and start an RMA. It seems like you went through a lot of the basic troubleshooting steps sans testing in another PC.

No, unfortunately not. XFX doesn't seem to offer BIOS updates, at least not for this card. Any downloads immediately refer you to the AMD site...

Like was said at TPU in your other thread (oh, AND reddit, AND Tom's... sheesh, LOL!)... make sure the basics are taken care of (I assumed they were, LOL!). The card is properly seated, power plug installed, etc. :)

Otherwise, I would RMA if you can't find another PC to test this in.

Like was said at TPU in your other thread (oh, AND reddit, AND Tom's... sheesh, LOL!)... make sure the basics are taken care of (I assumed they were, LOL!). The card is properly seated, power plug installed, etc. :)

Otherwise, I would RMA if you can't find another PC to test this in.

Haha, thanks! And yea, i'm definitely thorough! I live 2miles from the Microcenter I purchased at. Will swap tonight and give it another go...

Unfortunately, new card is not working either...i'm completely stumped. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...

I would find another PC to try it in at this point. That will prove it is some curious compatibility thing.

I ran into a similar thing with my 390x. Plugged it in and no signals. My fix was to remove the CMOS battery, let set for 10 mins and then try again. If you did not reset the battery or the jumper then you didnt reset the BIOS completely. EVEN resetting the BIOS to default in the BIOS itself did NOT work. I had to use the jumper or pull the battery. My card did the same thing too. No matter what slot i put it in it would power up fans spin etc but NO signals at all. So again try pulling the CMOS battery and see if it works after that.

Z

I ran into a similar thing with my 390x. Plugged it in and no signals. My fix was to remove the CMOS battery, let set for 10 mins and then try again. If you did not reset the battery or the jumper then you didnt reset the BIOS completely. EVEN resetting the BIOS to default in the BIOS itself did NOT work. I had to use the jumper or pull the battery. My card did the same thing too. No matter what slot i put it in it would power up fans spin etc but NO signals at all. So again try pulling the CMOS battery and see if it works after that.

Z

Thanks Zuzz, but I resolved this last night. The "up-to-date" 2.0 BIOS isn't sufficient, for anyone else having an issue with the ASRock 890FX Deluxe5, install the 2.01F Beta BIOS available at ASRock's site below:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/890FX Deluxe5/?cat=Beta

Good luck.

Back