• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wine - can't get it to work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
title says it all. running linux mint 17.3. i've installed wine, wine-mono and wine-gecko (all from software manager). when i try to run an .exe file cursor just spins around for a minute then nothing. then i tried running wine from terminal. at least there i saw it trying to load some files. at the end it said i didnt have mono installed. so i went back and installed mono-complete in addition to the wine-mono i installed before. tried again from terminal and still same error.

is it always so hard to install wine or is just because this is my second week with Linux?

https://appdb.winehq.org/ might give you a little help. Some folks wont even touch wine because it doesnt have the greatest reputation. Not everything works out of the box, and some things require configuration

</what I know about wine> :D

thanks. seems more of a pain than it's worth. :shrug:

By reputation Wine hasnt always worked is about all I can say. It seems to depend on what you are trying to do. What specifically trying to do/ what program are you tryng to use? Perhaps someone can suggest a Linux equivalent. The only things that usually dont have an equivalent are games.

knoober - nothing really specific. just wanted to install and try it out. see if it was better or worse than running windows in a VM.

knoober - nothing really specific. just wanted to install and try it out. see if it was better or worse than running windows in a VM.

I see. Well to add quickly to the link from above.... those are just things that are known to work "out of the box" and need no configuration of wine or additional libraries or any other such stuff. It is not an exhaustive list by any means and I encourage you to try all the stuff you would like with wine - just dont get frustrated if it acts up. If you want something to work "right now" then VM is most likely the best way to go. Good Luck!

IIRC Wine will have issues if the .exe you are running needs a lot of .dll files, or needs to use system .dll files.
I recall reading something like that years ago....

IIRC Wine will have issues if the .exe you are running needs a lot of .dll files, or needs to use system .dll files.
I recall reading something like that years ago....

It makes sense. The Linux Masters probably grabbed a handfull of common libraries and rolled them into some sort of functioning program called Wine. I had never stopped to consider "how" it works, just "if" Thanks :)

Just don't wine! You want to use windows only stuff, either dual boot or setup a VM.

He's probably trying to kick the Windows habit :D I look forward to the day when Im not on Linux crutches like Wine and VM. Not that Wine and VM's dont have their place, but it does seem to be best to use them as little as possible.

PlayOnLinux is a valuable resource.it provides pre-built scripts for getting specific programs to work under WINE. It's definitely worth checking out

Back