• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Novice nimble #8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you can run winxp it makes a significant difference. There are a few other tweaks in the lbb that help as well.

- - - Updated - - -

You may want to check with Larry before wasting time on your 4790k. He may want to run his 4790k.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at your score on the 6700k versus others you are being pretty efficient as most other times in that range are at 50x versus your 49x

Any time I have had issues, the file was corrupted. Make sure it's being saved as an hwbot file as well. I think that's what it's labeled. I haven't done aquamark for a while. Yep just checked my stick and all their "own" benches end in .hwbot

NN8 subs and The Mexican Riviera

Johan45 said:
Any time I have had issues, the file was corrupted....

So yep, Aquamark has a convenient "Save to Desktop" option. Auto names/saves a [yourscore].hwbot.

Thankfully, HwBot staff came to my assistance:
http://forum.hwbot.org/showpost.php?p=440044&postcount=2

It would have been nice to know that, or have it stated in the rules...
If it was, I missed it anyway. The HwBot motto, "Learn the hard way" or "Do it Over"...

So, I am all in on the 5 stages. If I must knock myself out patting me on the back, so be-it...
But it seems I have laid the foundations for a solid run.

I don't know any fancy bb code to show this.

Stage 1 - SuperPi(Intel) 10M - 7.407
http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_8/showsubmission/3166925
I can probably do better but it was a struggle to get here. I have a shakey 49x profile I can run. Not sure about my DDR timing as well.
I had hoped the 6700k would do better than this, but I am just getting the hang of some of the nuances...
Not one I plan to re-run unless necesary.

Stage2 - PiFast(AMD) - 48.840
http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_8/showsubmission/3180165
So ran this at stock on The WhiteElephant with the Athlon 64 X2.
Will try to improve with some FSB magic. Also see how the Sempy does, see Stage3

Stage3 - Reference Clock-FSB -229 Mhz
http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_8/showsubmission/3175695
got up there with not too much effort, can probably squeeze a few more, but I know I can get ~240+ with the sempy.
Will re-run.

Stage4- 3DMark01 - 79441 marks
http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_8/showsubmission/3178392
Won't be rerunning this score with the 980ti hydrocopper.

Stage5 - Aquamark(AMD) - 391092 marks
http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_8/showsubmission/3180132
Want to shoot for 400000.

So there you have it. I have made this preemptive maneuver for a number of reasons.
First, I am dealing with a sort of hardware merry-go-round with these comps and it keeps me from finishing FatherTime.
Which is OK, cause all I have is time.
Second, showing an example of a "Good Novice Bencher", and getting my subs in and not leaving anyone hanging ball-sack in a cold wind.
Third, I will be departing the country shorty to take care of, ah, er some business. Yes, that's the ticket...
And will not be around for the last 10 days of the comp.
Check my WhiteElephant subs, the screen saver is what I will be looking at.
And yes, my place, shameless plug here. Discounts for any OCF members, PM me:
https://www.caribbfan.com/properties/detail.cfm?property=136#photosTop
My unit is LB7, el nido.

Salud!

Hey Swart I'm checking your subs for "room for improvement"
Stage 1 if you disable HT and drop to 2 cores you should be able to get maybe 200 MHz more from the CPU then set priority to to realtime and affinity to core 2.
Stage 2 XP is a must for Pifast. I'd say the same for stage 1 but z170 is a royal pain in the nuts to get XP installed and running. But same as above set realtime priority and affinity to core 2
Stage 3 FSB drop your multi and memory/NB/HT busses. You can probably go higher performance isn't the end goal. Same goes for the Sempy.
Stage 4 Drop HT for sure, CPU speed is #1 priority here, XP again but ...... Use Nvidia inspector to modify LOD for the benches Check LBB many tips/tweaks. On my 980 with 6700k Win10 scored 116k @ 5.0 check this months marathon. Metal posted a link for tips but we have most if not all already.
Stage 5 CPU speed. Try with/without HT see what difference it makes as well as LOD in bench. Realtime priority again.

Here's an example of 3D01 with a 7870 and e 8400 almost as good as yours. Just ran this tonight.

01 79326.JPG

Reference clock e 8400 on rampage http://valid.x86.fr/rgf47l Does anyone have socket 775 ?

620 ref.png

It takes a village...

Hey Swart I'm checking your subs for "room for improvement"....
phwaf, snarf,gu-err, whaaa "Improvement"!?!?

I sure as hell hope so!!!
As I still fell like a monkey in a cage throwing turds at the gawking on-lookers....
Even so, every so often one gets through the bars and finds the mark!!!

Thanks so much for the feedback, Agredeciado!!!

So yeah, HT=HyperThreading, right?
I've had that on Auto.

So quick question, specifically for skylake procs...
I have read enough on-line to confuse me,
but if possible can a basic, but concise definition be given for the relationships/dependencies/interactions between/amoungst:
-CPU Flex Ratio Override/Setting
-Turbo Boost Technology
-HT

Does anyone have socket 775 ?
uh, not me. that duo seems pretty hot! Same stuff with G3258?

Stage 3 FSB drop your multi and memory/NB/HT busses.
uh, yeah. Kinda limited on that board with that chip. Speaking of which,
In the BIOS I do have two advanced CPU settings: Multi and voltage.
Then the rest is all CPUCool.
Whatever I set the the multi to in the BIOS it always comes up max (11.5) in cpu-z?!

anyway, will be revisiting a few stages before I depart.
I believe I am pretty much out of the running on stage 4 as far as improvements.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ench-Project?p=7920862&viewfull=1#post7920862

But can give the R9 3980X a few more passes in stage 5

More important than improvements for this round is getting 3 freaking subs for each stage!
@Lochekey and @LRG are in, I don't know about those one other guys, I forget their names....:shock:

Hasta la Proxima!

Yeah, HT= hyper threading. Disable that and even go to 2 cores if possible for 3D01. More speed=higher score.
CPU Flex Ratio Override/Setting
not sure what that is, must be unique to that brand mobo cause I haven't seen it. What mobo or what does the manual say.
That G3258 would likely do well for 3D01 if you can install XP SP3 x86 it'll do even better. This is an old benchmark and really works well on XP. There's a thread about install XP on that platform with links to needed drivers. You would need to slip the storage driver into the OS first though.
uh, yeah. Kinda limited on that board with that chip. Speaking of which,
In the BIOS I do have two advanced CPU settings: Multi and voltage.
Then the rest is all CPUCool.
Whatever I set the the multi to in the BIOS it always comes up max (11.5) in cpu-z?!

I see so you have some kind of proprietary board then like HP. The z170 would likely be your best bet. You can also try using the straps on you X99 or z97 and see how far you can get that way. I know I have used the 166 strap on my X99 before as a test. There is a higher one but iffy on it working.

Shoulda just stayed in Mexico

:eh?::eek::shock::cry::mad::bang head:confused::screwy::-/:shrug:

My stages of emotion as I checked our results.
Perpetually 4 place and one guy short.
@LRG-I gotta call you out, what happened man?

Thanks Lockeky again for keeping track of things,
I have about 8 weeks of Novice left.
shot me a PM to wake me up and I'll get my subs in before-hand.
Why not, as these are easy points and we should be taking first.

But, herding cats is one thing, nerds are even more challenging.

Salud

Hey Swart,

Sorry I did not do a better job of keeping this up. Between the onslaught of work and my home life I was just not able to keep up. I was hoping to do better than 4th myself but still with our limited hardware and lack of another guy we still put a beating on people. AS for LRG i'm not quite sure what happened. it looks like he has not been on the forums in over a month now and I cant get a hold of him through hangouts either so I don't know. I'll PM you when the next round gets started and I have a thread going, I am perpetually hopeful that these things will attract some new members but we will see. I saw we recently picked up a new rookie so maybe we can reach out to him and have him join us towards the end of the competition when he switches leagues.

So to recap, we have once again placed 4th:(, but we will continue to persist and if nothing else we are slowly gaining points for the team. Thanks again everyone for the help throughout this competition and we will be back at it again in a few weeks when the next round starts,

Salud,
Lochekey

Wahza Huh, Sorry?!

Please LK, NO Sorries! You rock!:rock:

Yeah man, nature of the beast. People come and go, get stoked then loose interest...
We all have our real lives to live, or at least other cyber-lives (gotta work on my GOW kingdom ya know)
No one is accountable and no one should be, but...

So yeah for a team of two, we kicked ***!!!

Hasta la Proxima

Back