• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soundbar Recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mimart7

Okay, I'm looking to spend around $500-$600 US for a soundbar for the the tv. Let see what you guys recommend.

I recommend not buying one...
They're crap, all of them. and for 5-600$ you can get a much better setup.

The way I see it, sound bars are sold to convenient and a tick better then the speakers in your TV. But there not much better and not very convenient compared to the tv speakers.

At 5-600$ you could buy a 100$ amp/receiver and 5 75$ speakers and a sub with what ever is left over.
Or 2 250$ speakers and a 100amp

Or do the smart thing and go on Craigslist and find some nice set of speakers from the late 60s to 70s and buy a nice amp/sub with whats left over. You can find sets of speaker on Craigslist and at thrift stores for 50$ that smoke ever a new 200$ speaker.

The sound bars are just small speakers with a good AMP, like Saturn said look for a good AMP/Receiver.

Le sigh, my wife spent nearly $1k, on a Bose system, without telling me. Why, why...

Yes, it's on it's way back.

B - Buy
O - Other
S - Sound
E - Equipment

I live in a co-op, so I have to be somewhat cautious about the noise. Yeah, I can get a $300-$400 amp, and a $500 set of speakers.

That's true.

I love my home theater system and it was relatively cheap. Bought a Yamaha 7 series receiver, and a handful of Micca speakers for the fronts and rears and center channel with a 12" sub and it sounds wonderful and cost me about 500 total.

Also, while there are some solid speakers that are 40+ years old, you would be hardpressed to find a set that wasn't tired/muddy on the mids and lows due to use. I would get a more modern set of speakers before I went hunting for a needle in the haystack set of speakers that are 40 years old.

Also, while there are some solid speakers that are 40+ years old, you would be hardpressed to find a set that wasn't tired/muddy on the mids and lows due to use. I would get a more modern set of speakers before I went hunting for a needle in the haystack set of speakers that are 40 years old.
Not hard to fix that, cross overs go bad and so do the rings. I have a pair of pioneer cs-88's and after replacing the cross overs I had more lows and mids then I can handle.
And that was just a 10$ fix for both speakers.

And anyway, not like you can't get repop cones or a rebuild kit for anything good. If you have good drivers the speakers can be restored, for cheap even. My cs-88's ended up costing me 40$ to completely restore.

If fixing ancient speakers is his thing, then its viable. Most just want to take the things out of a box and plug them in, most of which sound better than 40 year old speakers anyway.

Speakers are analog magnets and cones, what is different now? I just bought new Z623 for $120 it came out in 2010 it sounds perfect.

Speakers are analog magnets and cones, what is different now? I just bought new Z623 for $120 it came out in 2010 it sounds perfect.
Materials used to make it... 40+ years of technology to improve sound. I mean a car has 4 wheels and an engine, what is different now?

2010 is NOT the 1960's and 1970's....

Back