• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Card runs Windows but wont Game

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knoober

I should clarify that it isnt a "new" card, but simply new to me (bought used). The card in question is an MSI 7870 Hawk and is showing symptoms similar to this thread. And when I say similar I mean that is a good description of what is happening to me. The card boots fine (most of the time) and runs Windows, but when I try to run a game or a benchmark (Unigine Heaven) I get a crash with the sound stuttering at me.

I got the card to run in Crossfire with the 7850 in my sig rig. It does this in Crossfire and out. The 7850 runs through Heaven just fine, so I know the mobo, pci-e slot and psu arent the culprit (probably anyway). I also have had a problem running 3 monitors (that run fine on the 7850) with this card as well. Ive tried a driver rollback as well (3 different versions under 15.7 as well as the newest version of Crimson).

About the only other thing that I have done is apply new TIM (non-conductive). It wasnt broke but I fixed it anyway. I tested into Windows and then pulled the card to put on a fresh coat of TIM as preventative maintenance, not because I was having any issues (I know - kind of a no-no). As it is non-conductive (Arctic Ceramique 2) I really cant see as it would be a problem, but I still wish I would have run gaming benches beforehand so I (and you guys) could be sure.

Are there any other troubleshooting steps I can go through before calling it a day on this one guys? Thanks in advance.

Try older, pre-crimson drivers. I've been reading that some of the older cards aren't getting along with the newer drivers.

Try older, pre-crimson drivers. I've been reading that some of the older cards aren't getting along with the newer drivers.

Tried 3x versions of pre-Crimsons. 15.7; 14.12; and 13.? None had any better luck

Please PM if you would like to return the card.
I in no way want you to keep the card if you are unhappy with it or can not get it to work.

Thanks

Please PM if you would like to return the card.
I in no way want you to keep the card if you are unhappy with it or can not get it to work.

Thanks

Thats absolutely AWESOME to hear. I am very glad for that. We can sort that out in PM if it become necessary, but for now Im just asking the good folks here what they think to see if we can get this puppy running.

Does anyone have an opinion on perhaps flashing the stock BIOS? It was an option that I had considered but forgotten about. I would like to hear if anyone has any experience with issues of this sort being fixed with a fresh BIOS first though.

I really would have PM'ed Brian before you started this thread.
It makes it look like you only posted to put this in public.
None of my business, but it's my opinion, since you took it public.
I can guaranty you would have had no issue returning the card.

I really would have PM'ed Brian before you started this thread.
It makes it look like you only posted to put this in public.
None of my business, but it's my opinion, since you took it public.
I can guaranty you would have had no issue returning the card.

I know. I totally did send a pm his way, specifically because of what it may look like. Im looking for help to keep the card and get it working right, not confirmation to send it back. He and I have worked out the details between us, but for now, I still want to keep this puppy. It matches the color scheme of my rig and looks awesome all around. It crashed when I try to play games though and Ive troubleshot it to the end of my ability. Believe me, I cant state enough that I dont want to send this guy back. It was tough to part with the bucks, but I made a purchase that I intended to use.

Repeat: This IS NOT a complaint thread, Im trying to tap the knowledge of the forum to get the card running. :)

I agree. If you intend to send it back, do it now, or potentially be blamed for damage incurred. The seller does not know your skill level from a bag of beans. You could potentially be doing more damage......if you haven't already.

First I would have to find one. I havent come up with anything yet, but I havent exactly scoured the web or anything. Ive flashed mobo bios before and differnt smart phone stuff... but I havent done a GPU yet. I very likely wont. It is kind of my last ditch effort to keep the card though.

Another Repeat: I do not want to return the card. I want to keep it and use it and love it and hug it and call it George :)

DDU then try 14.9
Best AMD drivers I used. That and 13.12, but 14.9 had better preformance.

I have both installers saved on my HDD if you need em. I'm not sure if they are easy to find now. I think Guru3D has them???

please send the card back, I will troubleshoot the card and make sure it works. I did run several benchmarks prior to sending the card to you
That does not mean UPS did not throw this thing around like a basketball
If I can not get it running properly I will refund your money if I can I will ship it back to you
I think this si a driver issue as I have benched many AMD cards and it would certainly be believable that it comes across to a novice that it is not functioning properly

please send the card back, I will troubleshoot the card and make sure it works. I did run several benchmarks prior to sending the card to you
That does not mean UPS did not throw this thing around like a basketball
If I can not get it running properly I will refund your money if I can I will ship it back to you
I think this si a driver issue as I have benched many AMD cards and it would certainly be believable that it comes across to a novice that it is not functioning properly

Sounds good. And thank you for being helpfull like that. I would not fault you for saying "tough cookies" and washing your hands of the matter.

For clarity, the card was packaged correctly, but like you said, who knows what UPS did to it. I dontknow of any way to pack any better than it was , so you did everything that could be done to safeguard it.

I have used the latest Crimson, 15.6, 14.12, and 13.12 with no success. DDU in between each version as well. I will be very excited if it is simply my experience level that is keeping this card non-responsive.

That is not the way I roll , I will look out for it and am certain I can get it working for you

Brian is top notch brah. You have nothing to worry about. :thup:
Sorry for sounding like a ****, but it's just friends protecting friends. I'm sure you understand.

Back