• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 480mm rad w/ low profile enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jaiel

Registered
Hi there,

Im wondering if a 480mm radiator low profile (XSPC EX480) will be enough to cool my system (i7-6700k + gtx980).

The case will be open (TT Core P5) and I will use SP fans in pull(sp because the air will hit against the window of the case).

Is this ok or should I go for a thicker radiator like the RX480 and push-pull?

If you can fit a thicker one in p/p, do that otherwise you should be ok.

Room is not such a big problem I guess.

Its more like: do I really need p/p with 60mm thick rad or can I get away with a 35mm thick one?

Its only 1xGPU + CPU

Also I dont want such a bulky thing because Im afraid it would look awefull compared to a thinner one. Especially with fans on both sides.

thx

Jaiel

TT_CORE_P5_01.png

Well its up to you. A thicker rad will give you a bit more heat surface and p/p will allow you to run at a slower and quieter speed while knocking off a few degrees.

Yeah you're right. But will the temp decrease significantly? Like maybe 10 degrees or somewhat in that region?!

You could always split the difference between the 2 rads and get something like the alphacool xt45. It should handle the load ok without be overly thick. What fans are you planning to use by the way.

Yeah you're right. But will the temp decrease significantly? Like maybe 10 degrees or somewhat in that region?!
Typically, going from a single push or pull fan to p+p, will yield a couple of C. You have plenty of radiator for your proposed setup. At stock speeds, you are looking at ~250W with both running at full tilt. Overclocked, around 300W (assuming you are not modding the BIOS of the 980). We generally say 1x120mm for every 100W and you have that beat.

Back