• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MaddMutt's 775 thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMutt

I do not wish to hijack this thread but I have a Question.

I have a QX6850 (65nm) a Asus P5E (X38 chipset) and on the memory side I have Corsair Dominators @ 800 4-4-4-12 & 1066 5-5-5-15. I also have a set of Patriot Extreme @ 1200 5-5-5-15.

I have already read the sticky on OCing the C2Q but this is my second Intel board, my first was a 486.
Do I go for a higher multi or lower the multi and shoot for a higher FSB????

The choice is yours Maddmutt. That is a 6 of one, half dozen of the other situation... You MAY be limited with the 800 FSB ram though depending on your goals with FSB overclocking. It also depends on your purpose of that overclock.

The choice is yours Maddmutt. That is a 6 of one, half dozen of the other situation... You MAY be limited with the 800 FSB ram though depending on your goals with FSB overclocking. It also depends on your purpose of that overclock.
This.

If it was my setup I could go as far as I could with FSB OC then up the multi.
X38 chipset will preform better with a higher fsb.

I'm prepping it for water right now, to get a feel of the CPU/FSB/Memory thing. Later I will move it to Dice to see how far she will go :)

The purpose of the overclock is knowledge and Boints :thup:

- - - Updated - - -

This.

If it was my setup I could go as far as I could with FSB OC then up the multi.
X38 chipset will preform better with a higher fsb.

Higher FSB = Corsair Dominators @ 1066 5-5-5-15 or the Patriot Extreme's @ 1200 5-5-5-15 (< not an official JDEC standard)

Higher FSB = Corsair Dominators @ 1066 5-5-5-15 or the Patriot Extreme's @ 1200 5-5-5-15 (< not an official JDEC standard)
Lower the ram speed in the bios to keep in line or loosen up the timings or over volt the ram. Also I would look into flashing that board to a x48, that might help you push it abit farther. If I recall it adds a vdrop option too.
I had a setup with a q9650 and a P5E and was able to reach something like 4.6ghz and 4.4ghz stable. I ran into a heat barrier and had to stop there.

Run the 1200mhz sticks. Set fsb:dram 1:1. To find fsb limit, lower multi a couple notches and push on it. This way it takes out the country as being a limit. Then back down and push up the multi..go get em!

I can't check my e-mail as I currently running the P5E.
I keep getting an error CPU ratio is not set with FSB. Please run setup and change???? All I can modify is the multi, the other options give that error :(
I know my temps look BAD.... I don't have the water block completely flat on the CPU. I can boot to windows @ 3.66 but 4.0 is a no go :(

C2Q QX6850 OC.jpg

I got it to boot a 4.0GHz .. 10x400. It still does not like the fsb pushed over ~ 1600.

I played with the P5E some more. I know don't use Auto in the BIOS but it did help. The Patriot Ram (DDR2-1200) is flaky but the Corsair (DDR2-1066) is rock solid. The MAX FSB that the board wants to run is only 375. I loosened my make shift NB back plate and the board refused to POST. I tightened it back down and she will post but not sure on max fsb. Will try again later. :)

I currently have my ECS IC780M-A AM2 board running :) I have a A64 x2 4850e running at 2.5, as it's multi locked I'll have to use the FSB to OC :thup:

*****UPDATE******
It looks like I messed up the cooling power of the NB when I had to make mods to it to get it back working. I either have a non OCing QX6850 or the motherboard. I'm thinking board as I could hit 4.0 before the NB Broke, now I'm lucky to hit 3.6:(
I found this DFI LANParty DK X38-T2R as a possible replacement but I don't know DFI Boards at all. Are they some good boards??????

Keep the ram out of the equation for now so loose and slow.

First thing I do is find the max multi (with my setup) on the chip. Once that's figured out, next is to drop the multi as low as possible and determine the highest fsb your rig can do. For fsb testing....set a reasonable/easy fsb and add some voltage to your NB in bios then boot and use setfsb to adjust the fsb within windows. You'll need to find which chipset your board uses (there are setfsb tables around with this info). You can get much higher end fsb's using setfsb than any other way so it's pretty much essential for getting the most out of 775 (imho, of course).

Once you have the multi/fsb limits identified, you'll know the boundaries. Then you can start testing to determine the optimal multi/fsb.

Once you have your cpu overclock set, then start getting the ram dialed in.

Hope this helps! Good luck!!!

+1 to funsoul... the basics. :)

I strongly suggest they are followed (every time) otherwise you sort through a bowl of spaghetti to find out what went wrong.

I can't find the thread that had MR.Scott's recommendation on a different BIOS for the Asus P5E. While looking around the net, I found an AI Suit program for the 775:thup: Softfsb and AI Suit both don't have voltage options for the memory or cpu. What do I set the Voltage to on the CPU/Memory/NB in the BIOS???????

Here's my temp reading, it looks like I have ran out-of cooling power (AIR) to really try and push the QX6850.

775 Temp Readings.jpg

I have 2 other CPU's that I can try in the place of the QX6850. I have an E5700 and a E7400

I'd also start with a fresh windows install. That one looks like it's stuffed with all kinds of crap. That has to be a recycled OS. Never a good idea when testing anything!

This is my everything will boot windows 7. I have 3 SSDs with stripped versions of windows 7. I was using one of them during my testing. I could get to 360-365 (3.7-3.8 with the memory @ 1300) before the computer would BSOD :(

Drop the memory when going for full speed and try different straps some work better than others. I make new installs for every platform

P5E won't run at high FSB. DDR3 P5E is totally different board and if you see results somewhere then can't compare these 2 boards.

You can count on something like ~550MHz max FSB. For that you have to use FSB:DRAM ratio 1:1. Quad core chips won't run as high as dual core. Count something like 450-500MHz max on quads ( maybe more, depends from CPU ) and 550+ on dual cores. To make it you have to bump NB/FSB voltage.
Also memory won't run high on P5E. I remember I didn't like this board because of low max clocks on everything.

Back