• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a fan controller. What's good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Adding in my BlackIce GTS240 rad to my loop so that's 4 more fans.
I'm already tapped out on the sabertooth's fan headers!

I currently have 7 fans, 6 are in use though. So with the other rad that's 11 fans. ( :shock: )
I need to have control of 5 of those 11 fans.

I'm not aware of any fans controllers that can control 5 fans so I think a 4 fan controller will work, I just need to move a few around.
Space is actually of concern though, since I do not have any drive bays, I'll need to incorporate the controller into the new case's design soon.

I'd prefer not to spend a lot on this though since money is tight with the new car loan....
Thanks in advance!! :thup:

Should have added the fans so that way we all know the wattage they pull.
1x Corsair AF 120 -> These (Mine are 1st gen I guess. There are no coloured rings to swap on mine)
1x 92mm AMD heatsink fan. (I can't get the specs without tearing down the loop)
2x Coolermaster 80mm fans -> These here
3x Yate Loon D12SH-124W -> These
New rad:
2x NZXT FX-140RB -> These
2x Yate Loon D12SM (Red LED) -> These

I have one of these S/P Sunbeam Rheobus and it's been running 9 fans for at least 2 years without an issue. I have 3 of the channels with a splitter on them running 2 fans on each. A 30w a channel you wont have any issue running multiple fans off of it. Don't think they make them anymore hence the reason it's cheap.

dont know how much control you want, but this has lots of watts per channel, and is fairly cheap. only high/low/off though. should be able to put a bunch of fans per channel
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811997016
Wonder how the fans would respond to low... that might be too low :-/
It would certainly be able to power all my fans plus the aluminium in nice to have!
I have one of these S/P Sunbeam Rheobus and it's been running 9 fans for at least 2 years without an issue. I have 3 of the channels with a splitter on them running 2 fans on each. A 30w a channel you wont have any issue running multiple fans off of it. Don't think they make them anymore hence the reason it's cheap.
Sweet find but damn shipping kills it :bang head

Wonder how the fans would respond to low... that might be too low :-/
It would certainly be able to power all my fans plus the aluminium in nice to have!

From what I can see in the reviews, it looks like low=7v, high=12v. Afaik, most fans will run on 7v. You could always make a 7v adapter to test that yourself.

might be a bit expensive ? but just ordered one of these : http://www.reeven.com/fancontroller_six-eyes2/
from the reviews it looks to be very good and can handle 6 fans and 30w per channel
Looks like a sweet controller!
Only concern is the dimensions... looks like a larger controller....
I love Lamptron fan controllers. We reviewed a few on the front page...
Cool, I'll have to dig up some reviews then!
Damn.... I know you like projects, build one?
I wouldn't mind actually. But I lack a proper soldering iron and the knowledge to build such a controller. I'd need a buck regulator style since all my fans are 3pin...
From what I can see in the reviews, it looks like low=7v, high=12v. Afaik, most fans will run on 7v. You could always make a 7v adapter to test that yourself.
I guess I could also just use my DMM to measure the voltage too eh? Never thought of doing that until you mentioned it!!

Heck, you could just make a few 7v adaptors and run the fans all right from the psu

Heck, you could just make a few 7v adaptors and run the fans all right from the psu

I could, but the yate loons are currently getting 9.25v. I would rather just get a fan controller because with it i can set the fans just right instead of building an adapter to see if 7v is just right. My gut says 7v is not enough voltage for those fans.

Don't get me wrong i like the idea of building my own adapters, but for this, I'd rather have the ability to change voltage on demand. :)

I got a few of the classic 4 fan sunbeam controllers Linky , but they're all packed for my move. If you can wait about 2 weeks or so, I may be able to help you out ;)

I got a few of the classic 4 fan sunbeam controllers Linky , but they're all packed for my move. If you can wait about 2 weeks or so, I may be able to help you out ;)
I can wait, I'll put off the case build for a bit. I have an idea on how to install a controller this large in the system....
hehehe I did see your ad last night Witchy :)
One helluva fan controller! Only issues are shipping costs and I only have Paypal. :-/

dont know how much control you want, but this has lots of watts per channel, and is fairly cheap. only high/low/off though. should be able to put a bunch of fans per channel
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811997016

Ive got one of these as well, and it was going to be my suggestion :D It looks awesome and does its job. Its got no fine grain control (Hi speed, low speed, off -- that's it) but that doesn't bother me. The red LED does. its on my hit list to change it to white.

I love how it's compact and I love it's looks, but it's for 4pin PWM fans... Sadly, all I have are 3pin fans that need voltage control.
Maybe I should actually swap all fans for PWM versions real soon instead. Much easier to control vs 3pin fans.
Ive got one of these as well, and it was going to be my suggestion :D It looks awesome and does its job. Its got no fine grain control (Hi speed, low speed, off -- that's it) but that doesn't bother me. The red LED does. its on my hit list to change it to white.
How do you like it knoober?
Fans still push lots of air on low?

How do you like it knoober?
Fans still push lots of air on low?

I think dyckah was right that low=7v and high =12v. I just dont know why I think that :)

For reference: I had 2x these fans on the intake for a while - they have since been moved to the CPU - and I consider them to be lound on full RPMs . But if I put the switch in the "low" position I could only hear the HDD. I can also tell you that I had a YL D12SH-12 for the rear exhaust and it ran on "low". The fact is that I somtimes regreat that I dont have a little more control over my fans that "hi" and "low" but I never regreat how awesome it looks. Its got a detachable aluminum faceplate that I removed and painted the color of the case (blue) and I have read that there is an all black version available as well (seller confirmed but wanted more for it when I bought mine). Its got solid contriction, but I had to drill holes in the sides for it to line up in my cases properly (Ive had it in 2 different cases). I dont know what the issue with that was but it was 10 seconds work with the drill :shrug: And now that you have everything I refused to put in a review for Amazon my job is complete :) I recommend it for looks, but YMMV for fan control, as you may want more control (although I am happy with it)

Now that I have moved these Rosewill fans to the CPU and since they are not PWM they run at full speed all the time and make almost a whine. New fans ordered :)

Back