• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OptyTrooper

I am am deeply disappointed in Intels policy of restricting overclocking Skylake to higher end chipsets. Is this the future of overclocking? I sure hope not!

Nothing has changed since 2nd gen of Core so like 4 years+ now. I doubt it will be different in the future as most series will be changed to full integrated SoC and BGA chips.

I don't get what your saying I'm overclocking a G3258 in a 50 dollar Biostar B85MG. Excuse my ignorance.

Well, yes I forgot about that ... G3258 is "special edition" CPU so Intel unlocked it but everything else is locked. What more Xeons have locked bclk ratios too. I was thinking to get 8 core 2011-3 chip but later I found out it works only at 100bclk +/- ~5MHz.
What is really annoying is that laptop chips are also limited. I have HM170 chipset in my laptop, gaming series on skylake i5 and memory is working only at 2133. I got 2400 kit which has SPD and XMP profiles programmed as 2400 ( don't have to change anything in bios or even enable XMP ) and it's working at 2133. 2133 is really slow already.

About that BGA and SoC, I mean that roadmap for next years is saying that Intel will focus on these chips more and will release less enthusuast grade CPUs in sockets. Most CPUs will be soldered and more things will be integrated in one chip with CPU.

Last edited:
Wasn't the G3258 a one-off special overclocking chip to celebrate the Pentium name? It is the exception, not the rule. Also, what overclocking are you doing with that mobo? Can it overclock ram as well as CPU?

Wasn't the G3258 a one-off special overclocking chip to celebrate the Pentium name? It is the exception, not the rule. Also, what overclocking are you doing with that mobo? Can it overclock ram as well as CPU?

Nope can't overclock RAM. I bought it just to see how cheap I could go and still break 5.0GHz. It will also overclock a 4690K just fine.

I see what your saying now.

Last edited:
You Americans are lucky, the cheapest G3258 in israel is 94$ :/ If i'll buy a Mobo for it will probably cost less than the CPU :C

I don't get what your saying I'm overclocking a G3258 in a 50 dollar Biostar B85MG. Excuse my ignorance.

If your first post is referencing this chip, the G5328 isn't a Skylake chip. It's Haswell. I don't think Intel continued the Pentium Anniversary edition with Skylake.

Last edited:
If your first post is referencing this chip, the G5328 isn't a Skylake chip. It's Haswell. I don't think Intel continued the Pentium Anniversary edition with Skylake.

They did'nt as far as i have seen

Back