• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Storing passwords

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

How are you guys storing your passwords these days? I pretty much pay all of our bills online and most places require you to change passwords on a regular basis and it's getting really tough remembering all of these passwords. I would like to store them in an encrypted file of some sort and store it on an external drive or something. Free program would be best but if it costs a little money to get something safe I'm good with that.

+1 on KeePass, I use the same, but store it in Google Drive for the same purpose as I have Linux and Windows machines that I use and have access to my passwords on both OSes.

This post probably belongs in Internet, Networking, and Security.. but nonetheless.. I started using LastPass recently, will probably try KeePass next.

What institutions require you to change your password frequently? Literally none of the places I pay my bills require this.

This post probably belongs in Internet, Networking, and Security.. but nonetheless.. I started using LastPass recently, will probably try KeePass next.

What institutions require you to change your password frequently? Literally none of the places I pay my bills require this.

Yes I realized that after posting the thread but it really doesn't matter, It's not like this will turn into a multi-page complex thread. I got some great replies and I will try that program and this thread will be on page 20 in no time. I don't have many that require a PW change but my wife does. And my current health situation will require me to have my passwords saved in a safe place for my wife in the event that I don't make it through my ordeal. We have a lot of passwords that vary ever so slightly so it gets confusing at times. My short term memory isn't the greatest anymore from the treatments so I spend a lot of time just staring at the password field....

Thank you for the help guys, I will try KeePass, I appreciate it very much! :thup:

Yes I realized that after posting the thread but it really doesn't matter, It's not like this will turn into a multi-page complex thread. I got some great replies and I will try that program and this thread will be on page 20 in no time. I don't have many that require a PW change but my wife does. And my current health situation will require me to have my passwords saved in a safe place for my wife in the event that I don't make it through my ordeal. We have a lot of passwords that vary ever so slightly so it gets confusing at times. My short term memory isn't the greatest anymore from the treatments so I spend a lot of time just staring at the password field....

Thank you for the help guys, I will try KeePass, I appreciate it very much! :thup:
What I like about KeePass is that it will generate passwords however you like and there are options to make it more secure it need be. Additionally, it's not web based and it is open sourced so it can be a bit more secure then web based programs. Feel better also!

What I like about KeePass is that it will generate passwords however you like and there are options to make it more secure it need be. Additionally, it's not web based and it is open sourced so it can be a bit more secure then web based programs. Feel better also!

I've been reading up on it and just downloaded it and that's great that it's more secure, and I love that it's open source! Thank you my friend, it's been a long rough road but I'm starting to feel better. Thanks again for the help, I really do appreciate it!

I have been using Lastpass for a good while now and like it. It has the occasional hiccup but it requires I only remember one good password and it remembers all the others. I can use it if I am on another computer as well. Just log in to Lastpass with my email/password and I can then log in to any site just as if I'm at my own computer. I've done that on my Brothers computer a few times. When I'm done, just log out and let my Brother use his login to get back to his stuff.

If my computer crashes, I don't lose all those passwords either.

https://lastpass.com/

My only issue with lastpass is it's not open sourced and is vulnerable to getting hacked, which has happened already. If one uses KeePass in Dropbox if the Rig dies Keepass is still stored in dropbox.

My only issue with lastpass is it's not open sourced and is vulnerable to getting hacked, which has happened already. If one uses KeePass in Dropbox if the Rig dies Keepass is still stored in dropbox.

They were hacked but they did not get passwords. The passwords are encrypted BEFORE they are sent to Lastpass for storage. Even Lastpass can not see your passwords. What they store is encrypted and until someone can break that, it doesn't really give a hacker anything even if they get what Lastpass stores.

https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/06/lastpass-security-notice.html/

http://www.businessinsider.com/password-security-app-lastpass-admits-it-was-hacked-2015-6

https://www.noxcivis.com/lastpass-hacked-the-facts-behind-the-panic/

I might add, short of not using the internet at all, nothing is perfect and going to be hacker proof. If it's on the internet, they will try to hack into whatever they can even if it is not usable. It's just what hackers do.

While I would prefer open source, I am a Linux user, some things work best when they are not. Given how I use Lastpass, I don't think anything else comes even close to suiting my needs.

Whatever solution you feel best for your needs is the right solution. I chose KeyPass a few years ago because: 1) It was Open; 2) I could find clients for Linux (me), OSX (my wife), Windows (me), and IOS (both of us). By putting the encrypted database of PWs in a cloud storage farm that also had clients for all of the OSes we use in the house, updates by either of us on any platform are replicated across all of the platforms. Drawbacks I found include handling conflicts (when we both update close to the same time) and having to manually set the IOS app to use the latest DB. I'm sure if I work at this 2nd issue, I could solve it, but it's not critical.

Bit late but a +1 to Keepass.
I love that piece of software man lemme tell you.
Best part are plugins for other software and integration and such.

Whatever solution you feel best for your needs is the right solution. I chose KeyPass a few years ago because: 1) It was Open; 2) I could find clients for Linux (me), OSX (my wife), Windows (me), and IOS (both of us). By putting the encrypted database of PWs in a cloud storage farm that also had clients for all of the OSes we use in the house, updates by either of us on any platform are replicated across all of the platforms. Drawbacks I found include handling conflicts (when we both update close to the same time) and having to manually set the IOS app to use the latest DB. I'm sure if I work at this 2nd issue, I could solve it, but it's not critical.
Thank you for your input, great review of the software, I have it up and running but still need to read up on this. :beer:

Bit late but a +1 to Keepass.
I love that piece of software man lemme tell you.
Best part are plugins for other software and integration and such.

Never too late to the conversation my friend! Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated. :thup:

I've used password safe for years now personally. I like it because it has an autotype feature I can't do without. Portable, has an apk as well, and even works in linux. It also has a sync apk from f-droid but I don't know how to actually use it. Bought a ubikey nano and plugged it into my keyboard usb port. Now my desktop safe login is 'login' and a fingerswipe on the ubikey.

I've used password safe for years now personally. I like it because it has an autotype feature I can't do without. Portable, has an apk as well, and even works in linux. It also has a sync apk from f-droid but I don't know how to actually use it. Bought a ubikey nano and plugged it into my keyboard usb port. Now my desktop safe login is 'login' and a fingerswipe on the ubikey.
Sounds like a great program and I'll look into it, thanks! I love the avatar!!!!! Stewart!!!!! Haahaha

I have a good trick that helped me when my computer fried and died.
I had put my passwords on a spreadsheet (you can use plain text too) and I had e-mailed it to myself.
My e-mail password was long and secure but written down on paper etc. so all I needed was to access it to open the e-mail with 'big list'.

Plus - due to unexpected computer die-offs in the past I keep a notebook with handwritten passwords that I auto generate. They are fairly long.
I make 10 or 12 and label them on a list alphabetically ... A - H or so.
Then in a notebook I just log the current password alphabet letter.
This works well with sites that demand you change your password every so often or if you see a headline about a big site you use being hacked.

Back