• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, nothing at all happens. PSU issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

capwn2626

Registered
Hi, I'm currently in the process of doing a major overhaul on the first PC build I did 5 years ago but can't get any response. No lights, fans, noise, anything! :bang head. I'm using the same XFX XTR 750w PSU I've had for about 3 years but replacing motherboard, cpu, ram, gfx and heatsink. I've tried rebuilding again inc taking off thermal paste and reapplying but still nothing.

So I've been trying to unplug as much as possible to trouble shoot, all that is plugged into the motherboard right now is 24pin PSU plug, 8pin PSU plug, CPUfan and those awkward little connectors (like power/reset switch etc). No ram or gfx card installed. Still doesn't give any sense of life at all.

Anyone please have any ideas?

WIExL4e.jpg

Have you tried the PSU on the old board again? If it works on one it should work on the other.
I would start by pulling the whole thing back out and set it up outside the case as well

Thanks for replying. What would be the easiest way to test the PSU on the old board? Can I do it without screwing the new one out and the old one in? What is the bare minimum with regards to plugs being plugged in to be able to tell if the PSU is working or not? Just the 24pin and the 8 pin?

I can't see it being the PSU, would be a crazy coincidence that the one time it stops working is the same day I replace the motherboard, cpu and heatsink.

Thanks for replying. What would be the easiest way to test the PSU on the old board? Can I do it without screwing the new one out and the old one in? What is the bare minimum with regards to plugs being plugged in to be able to tell if the PSU is working or not? Just the 24pin and the 8 pin?

I can't see it being the PSU, would be a crazy coincidence that the one time it stops working is the same day I replace the motherboard, cpu and heatsink.

This is why I suggested removing everything and testing it outside the case. This will rule out a short/grounding issue. You can test the PSU right where it is. I would disconnect it completely from the board and see if it'll start with a jumper. All you need is a paper clip to short two of the wires. The one marked green, fourth over from the right if you have the clip facing toward you, connect it to any ONE of the ones marked yellow right next to it. If the PSU is OK it should turn on.

24-pin.jpg

Ah thanks! I was just looking at videos regarding this trick, thanks for the suggestion and that image. Will try it tonight. I'm guessing it will work fine, if so I'm actually starting to get paranoid that my PSU isn't 750W. Just because I recall buying duds and replacing it a couple of times. If by any chance it IS a 550W do you think that could be the issue? Perhaps my motherboard needs 750+? I'm clueless with these type of things.

Oh another question, should I be plugging in both PSU 24pin plug AND the 8pin (2x4) plugs into the motherboard? or should it just be the 24pin? I guess it just depends on the board? Instructions just seem to mention both sockets but not specifically which ones to use.

Last edited:
Can't tell you how much wattage you need without knowing your full system component list.

Based on what I see in the picture, I'd run the whole system on a 300W PSU and not think twice about it.

Looks like just the mobo/CPU. No GFX card from what I see. 550 would still be enough. From what you describe and how I hilighted your last post. It's unusual for that to happen. If the PSU was over loaded it would at least start and then trip the OCP/OVP

My setup is this (I've just taken out GFX and RAM to troubleshoot)

CPU - IntelCore i7-6700K (Skylake) CPU
MOTHERBOARD - Gigabyte Z170 Motherboard
GFX card - GTX 980Ti Graphics card
HEATSINK - hyper12EVO coolmaster

Did you verify the power/reset etc.. wires are connected properly?

My setup is this (I've just taken out GFX and RAM to troubleshoot)

CPU - IntelCore i7-6700K (Skylake) CPU
MOTHERBOARD - Gigabyte Z170 Motherboard
GFX card - GTX 980Ti Graphics card
HEATSINK - hyper12EVO coolmaster

I'd run this off an EVGA 550W G2 all day long. Even overclocked and watercooled.

You said you took out the RAM to troubleshoot, did you leave ANY sticks in??

I have the fiddly cables (power switch/reset etc) in a little adapter that came with the motherboard, allowing you to plug them all in at once. Quite useful. The first attempt I had done it manually and then the second time I had used the adapter. I better double check them though, the power switch is particular is vital isn't it? As for paper clipping them I've not seen any tutorials on youtube so am not too confident about trying it.

As for the ram, I've tried with 2 (out of 4) plugged in and latest tests are with none in at all.

It does need some ram and the paper clip or I have used the tip of a screwdriver is just to short the two power ins in that little panel. That's all it needs to get it started. Just make sure they're the right two ins

Does NOT need ram just to test power up. It'll just give a beep or post code. It will not power down. All that's needed for power up check is Board, PSU, and CPU.

Ok, tried jump starting PSU with paper clip and it worked! So what next? Looking at power connections to be sure they are plugged in properly. Still wondering if I need BOTH 24 and 8 pin hooked up? Didn't work with either last time but it would be great to know.

Really made sure the correct cables were properly installed, no response. So it's either the new motherboard or the new cpu/heat sink?

CPU's are rarely bad. I'd check the pins in the board socket for damage.
I suspect the board.

Ok, this is getting closer to getting solved but also weirder!

So I took the motherboard out of the case with main connections intact, it worked! I noticed that there was 1 'raiser' bolt missing, it was still stuck in my old MB! So I thought perhaps a corner of the new MB is touching the case? I placed the 1 remaining raiser in there and put it back in. Screwed all 6 into the raised brackets but it didn't work :(

Next idea? To place MB on the raisers without screwing MB into them and test. If works, keep adding one screw, perhaps one is faulty?

My case with the missing raiser;

180PfD2.jpg

OK. You have a short to ground. Easy fix. I suspect it will be one or all of the points I circled. Insulate them with a piece of electrical tape and try it.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 39
Back