• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Friend needs a pc that can run photoshop well

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

What kind of parts would be needed to run photoshop well on a pc? Friend has an old core 2 duo e4600 with 2gb ram. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't run it, but I have never used photoshop so I really don't know.
What would be a cheap parts list for a build?

It will run it, but not fast.

Depending on what he is doing in PS... but a decent quad with HT and a solid GPU would be good... again, depending on what he is doing in PS as some filters and affects use the GPU while others its CPU. So, a well rounded system would be good.

Could you ED or someone create a quick and cheap part list on partpicker and link it for me please?

Does HT help Photoshop?
I guess you don't believe me, LOL....

Yes, Photoshop uses hyperthreading when it would be faster.
But in many cases we can only use physical cores and not logical (hyperthreaded) cores because hyperthreading would make the process slower.

And we've been doing that since HyperThreading appeared in the Pentium 4.

From the same guy (FYI he is staff at Adobe forums)

There are hundreds of threaded functions in Photoshop - I'm not going to list them all.
Again, Photoshop will use threading and hyperthreading whenever it provides a performance increase.

And Lightroom is the same in that regard.

Hyperthreading's benefits vary with the operation. But in some cases it offers twice the performance compared to running without it.
Even with DRAM being the bottleneck, hyperthreading allows a few more calculations to proceed than without. And on the i7, you need hyperthreading to make the best use of the available system bandwidth.

Yes, I'd get the i7 chips and keep hyperthreading on.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/806048?tstart=0

or for the latest version - https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-625/
It affects performance in some things, mostly not. But in the end, there isn't a mention of a quad core WITHOUT hyperthreading as far as what they suggest to but for it. That said, it depends on the budget. Clearly it doesn't help too much, but it can use it. So.........

Could you ED or someone create a quick and cheap part list on partpicker and link it for me please?
Cheap? List a budget and required parts and we could....

I don't know the required parts for PS. You do. A whole build is needed. And anything under $500 would be best. Lower the better.

I didn't mean for you to list parts man................

I meant, GENERICALLY, parts are needed? We talking Case/keyboard + mouse/OS.monitor? Or just mobo/ram/cpu/psu/hdd? What parts will we need to suggest???????

$500 you should almost go Dell.

I think his point is at that budget for a full system it's hard to beat them. Do you need an operating system?

I think his point is at that budget for a full system it's hard to beat them.
Exactly!

I know you may WANT to custom build the thing for the guy, but, we need to make sure around that budget range that what we can build him will perform better than what he can get a Dell for. This build isn't about your wants, it is about your client's needs. ;)

Typically, especially if he needs monitor/kb + mouse, OS, etc (which he does not) Dell is a no brainer at the budget level on down.

Anyhoo.......

i3 6100 - $125
ASRock B150 Pro4/D3 - $73
2x4GB DDR4 2133 CL 13 - $44
Corsair CX430 - $40
1 TB WD HDD - $74
GTX 750Ti - $105
Case = your choice.

Total = $461

Id seriously hit up dell and compare for the same amount of money......

Last edited:
I guess you don't believe me, LOL....

From the same guy (FYI he is staff at Adobe forums)

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/806048?tstart=0

or for the latest version - https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-625/
It affects performance in some things, mostly not. But in the end, there isn't a mention of a quad core WITHOUT hyperthreading as far as what they suggest to but for it. That said, it depends on the budget. Clearly it doesn't help too much, but it can use it. So.........

Cheap? List a budget and required parts and we could....

Thanks for checking that out, I was thinking that Photoshop was mostly a parallel program, looks like his budget is small.

If you can't scale the hardware, scale the software. Photoshop from the cs3 suite runs great on my HP mini 110, and that thing won't even play 1080p video.....

Back