• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG The In-Desk PC Build|In Progress

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmmerBo

Hey all,

I started a build a couple weeks back when I started to work on a custom built-in desk for the computer room. Around the same time I was planning to rebuild my PC as well. So I figured hey, why not kill two bird with one stone. So I started working on an inset computer desk.

I wanted 5 things:
  • Rigid Water Cooling
  • An open concept\layout
  • The ability to pull it out the computer (for maintenance and LAN Parties)
  • To be able to look down through the desk and see it.
  • Changeable color concepts

Build List (Current)
  • Intel i7-6700k (z170)
  • ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
  • CORSAIR Dominator Platinum (4x4) PC-3200 DD4
  • 2x EVGA NVIDIA GTX 780 SC (in SLI) - I'm holding on to these until the x80 Titan comes out. Hence the reason I didn't bother to add them to the water loop
  • CORSAIR AX1200
  • Thermaltake Core P5 (Base)
  • 4x Thermaltake Riing Fans
  • EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel
  • EK-RES X3 250
  • EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM - Plexi (incl. pump)
  • EK 420 Radiator
  • EK-HD Adapter 12/16mm - Black x9
  • EK-AF Ball Valve (10mm) G1/4 - Black
  • EK-CSQ Plug G1/4 (for EK-Badge) - Black
  • EK-AF T-Splitter 3F G1/4 - Black
  • EK-AF Extender Rotary M-M G1/4 - Black x2
  • Thermaltake PETG Tubes x8
  • MDF, Birch Plywood, screws, saw, etc.... (Well this is a built list right?)

IMG_5580.JPG
IMG_5587.JPG
So having never built a desk before I started with the network cabinet which will house cables and a 24 Port Gigabit Switch.

IMG_5581.JPG
IMG_5582.JPG
This is the computer cabinet design I came up with. So I know what your thinking and let me explain... I was high when i designed this.. jokes aside, I was trying to do a couple things here:
1. Work with the air flow so it comes in at the front, goes though the bottom and get pushed out away from where I'm sitting.
2. I'm planning on cutting colored acrylic panels out and sliding them next to the walls of the PC area to create themes. Then I can swap them out depending on my mood.

IMG_5583.JPG
Using the base of a Thermaltake Core P5 was a good idea for me as I really wanted my reservoir to be filled up to the top with no air. This design allowed me to easily unhook and slide out the computer, tip it and fill to the top. Plus this was perfect as the acrylic see-through top and layout was exactly what I was looking for.

IMG_5584.JPG
IMG_5586.JPG
Just a few shots of how it would look coming together. Of course doors for the computer cabinet, paint, finishing will come later. Just in case I change my mind.

At this point I needed to get the computer built and into the cabinet so I could mark where I needed the holes for cables and such drilled out at.
IMG_5588.JPG
IMG_5589.JPG
IMG_5592.JPG

That's its for now, I'll post some more tomorrow

Wow. Wish I had that "case" thing when i built my "Deskputer"!

If I can recommend one thing, and one thing only... PUT FILTERS EVERYWHERE! Cleaning these things are huge pita, and swapping parts is equally irritating. Seriously, get some filters going on your fans, you will thank me later...

Anywho, great foundation, cant wait to see this finished :)

If I can recommend one thing, and one thing only... PUT FILTERS EVERYWHERE!

Thanks for the advice . So here's what I was thinking about that. On the shelf that holds the PC, I was planning on having a board with 4 fans attached to it. Held in place by door magnets for easy removal while allowing air to flow over the MB. I was thinking of putting in a slot for an actual AC filter on the inside of the panel. I figured I would use something like this: http://amzn.com/B002CJN0S6 Filtrete Clean Living Basic Dust Filter, MPR 300, 12 x 20 x 1-Inches

Hopefully this works out to plan.

Thanks for the advice . So here's what I was thinking about that. On the shelf that holds the PC, I was planning on having a board with 4 fans attached to it. Held in place by door magnets for easy removal while allowing air to flow over the MB. I was thinking of putting in a slot for an actual AC filter on the inside of the panel. I figured I would use something like this: http://amzn.com/B002CJN0S6 Filtrete Clean Living Basic Dust Filter, MPR 300, 12 x 20 x 1-Inches

Hopefully this works out to plan.

Whatever you choose, for some reason, my deskputer just sucked in all the dust in the world lol. I had 8 fans on the system and it was just a nightmare to clean. The worst part, cleaning the inside was an absolute hellish time. Making things easily removable and easy to clean will make your life infinitely easier.

Glad youre skipping the window tbh. I did the window on my first iteration of the desk build, and it was really cool... until I spilled my first drink(!).
Edit: "To be able to look down through the desk and see it." Missed that bit. I strongly recommend you pass on this. It sounds cooler than it is. I used a peice of tempered glass with rubber 3m mounting tape. Wasn't that great. If anything do a SIDE window.

And the last thing, no sure what you're thinking about for the top of the desk, but after I while I wound up putting hardwood flooring on mine and framed it with PVC wall framing panels. Came out way better than i was expecting. Here's mine fwiw. The best part, its super durable, and if you shop right, can be super cheap too!

20150605_184709_zpsnneyqe5l.jpg

Last edited:
Back