• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water VS. Air Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have read elsewhere of putting a drop or two of dish soap in your loop to reduce surface tension and lubricate the pump. Dont know if i'd be willing to try it. On that note, lol, maybe I should fill my loop with olive oil?

I have read elsewhere of putting a drop or two of dish soap in your loop to reduce surface tension and lubricate the pump. Dont know if i'd be willing to try it. On that note, lol, maybe I should fill my loop with olive oil?

Haha! Sounds like fun :p based on the viscosity, heat capacity and thermal conductivity, you will definetely see a much higher temp. You might even overheat your pump if unlucky :D but experimenting is always fun. If you clean the system afterwards with soap and alcohol (interchangeably), you might be ok :p can't recommend it though

Old thread (OP seems not to be around), but thought I should share my personal experiences here anyway. I did a relatively simple comparative analysis between three top coolers (NZXT Kraken X61, Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power, and TRUE Rev. C) and the AIO wiped the floor with the air coolers in all respects, especially low noise performance. But this was on a highly overclocked hex-core CPU. A stock CPU does not need enthusiast level cooling; it's overkill. Any half decent 120mm tower should do a nice job with the right fans (Gentle Typhoons being the quietest). Dual tower coolers are IMO overpriced and unsightly, and the 140mm ones are just ridiculously large, which is why I've never bought one and probably never will. I also tested the NH-D14 a while ago and the TS140P is better.

I currently own three TRUEs (Black, Rev. C and Cu) and probably won't ever part with them because they are so good. I had a Venomous-X briefly and wasn't impressed with it so I sold it on.

A note about the Kraken X61 - there is no pump noise if using the silent profile in CAM software. No other AIOs feature variable pump speed like the Kraken X series units and when I say quiet, I mean inaudible. Incredible piece of kit.

I can only agree with you Lenny.
I'm running an i7 6700K at stock (4.2GHz boost) with a low profile flower CPU cooler (Zalman CNPS8900), 2x 140mm case fans and im at max 60C when in games. 65C in stresstests. Good airflow goes a long way.
It's completely quiet, too.

I have a NH-D15 on my ASUS Mobo that I'm running a i7 5930k 6 core cpu and honestly I don't what anyone say's the NH-D15 is not loud at all,I use ASUS Suite to control the fan speed's and ASUS Suite has 4 speed setting and if I run it in Turbo and that's the 3rd fastest speed setting the fans turn at 650rpm.

If use the fastest setting called Full Speed the fans run at about 1571rpm and although it's louder it's not much louder and the only time I use that setting is for when I'm running a burning program that allows me to encode 5 videos at once,I have owned a NH-D14 as well and still have it and I do not consider either loud at all when compared to other fans and cooler that do not cool anywhere near as good as the Noctua coolers and fans.

The best way I heard someone describe how good a Noctua CPU cooler performs was in the title of a review when he was reviewing a NH-D15 and the reviewer said once you use this cooler you won't call it Jesus but you will say it walks on water.

I know the water still cools a bit better then a NH-D15 in a rig that is overclocked really high but my friend has a PC that runs at stock clock speeds and he has water cooling and his is a quad core intel i7 I forget the CPU he has it's a 4th gen I or a 6th not sure right now and I'm running a 6 core 5930k and I run at 43C under heavy load with the fans running full speed 1571rpm and he's running 1 degree cooler.

Yes that to I can hardly here mine when I have the CPU's turned up to 1571rpm,my one friend used to buy the no name vary long lasting dirt cheap fans that turned 2500 and 3000rpm's and they were so loud it wasn't even funny you could hear them 20 feet away and they never got any quieter from that far away they horrible and when he asked me what I thought or his new badass rig I told him I never thought I'd be envious of a deaf person but I am right now.

The difference between me and my friend is we both game with are PC's and not a lot so I look at it what's wrong with a GTX960 seeing I don't have a 4K monitor and neither does he and he'll spend 150 bucks more or higher on a GTX980 and the game does not look any better or smother on his PC then mine,his thing is he has to have the best even if it's not the smartest move to make and he knows it.

Bet the Noctua is much quieter though :rofl:

Last edited:
Back