• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what's agp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I was out and about today and found a gpu for a buck, so what the heck.
the box said xfx 7600gt but inside is a gigabyte gv-r955128t, big deal, for a buck who cares??????
the interface looks like pci but none of my asus or asrock boards have this type of slot called agp.
how can I test it, play with it and perhaps blow it up?

looks like time to go dumpster diving to try to find a motherboard this thing might fit........

The 9550 was a video card people bought in 2000-2002 when they decided to build their first PC. Once the box was together the person realized there was no where to plug in the monitor (because they just assumed to mobo had onboard graphics). So at that point they would go buy the cheapest video card they could find. That would be the 9550. Lol

It would probably be fun to abuse this card if you where able to find an old s478 Intel or s462 AMD system to play with. :)

I had a 5450 card that johan45 has now and it was a pretty good little clocker, ran it in the overcloctagon a time or two!!!
I think Rgone was looking for an agp card a while back so I have sent him an email about it.
in the mean time I need to look around a bit.

What's AGP? Jesus caddi, are you trying to make me feel old?

If you are seriously wanting to use this thing, I'll ship you a soltek k8t939-fl and a 3800 x2 with it if you pay for the shipping cost.

I'll take you up on that, after I hear from Rgone on weather he wants it or not.

Roger that - I'm pretty bad at remembering to recheck threads I've been in, so PM me if I don't answer - I'll see it at some point.

You'll need some DDR1 of course, I don't think I have much of that lying around anymore.

you do predate me in the computer thing........
I just got involved at the release of bulldozer.
my first build was a 965 rig that I could never get to even boot and used as a door stop until I joined this forum with a bulldozer build and then MR. Trents helped me get the 965 build running.

you do predate me in the computer thing........
I just got involved at the release of bulldozer.
my first build was a 965 rig that I could never get to even boot and used as a door stop until I joined this forum with a bulldozer build and then MR. Trents helped me get the 965 build running.

Funny, I always thought you had been around longer than me :rofl:

This board started with an fx-5200, then a 6800 gt, then 7800 gs and lasted me all the way through an agp 3850. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102730

Good times, but it's rotting away in a closet now.

As an aside: if you ever find an agp version of a 3850, 4650, or 4670 for cheap make sure you buy it - they resell for an almost comical amount of money on ebay.

That board with the 3800 x2, some decent ram, and a decent overclock will get you points benching AGP cards. ;)
Not as many as if you had an E8400 Intel setup, but it will get you points non the less.
Keep it cheap and have fun.

Yes it will score you some points - Then I'll have to get the same card and take them from you with my DFI 939 AGP LanParty board and the Psycho Opty. :D

Seriously though, do the deed and have fun.

If you're gonna bench why not get a voodoo or riva tnt ? Plenty of those around still :)

Well of course I have more stock in my graveyard of parts than I remembered - found 2 sticks of 512mb and 3 sticks of 256mb. So I'll throw some ram in it as well.

Funny, I always thought you had been around longer than me :rofl:

This board started with an fx-5200, then a 6800 gt, then 7800 gs and lasted me all the way through an agp 3850. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102730

Good times, but it's rotting away in a closet now.

As an aside: if you ever find an agp version of a 3850, 4650, or 4670 for cheap make sure you buy it - they resell for an almost comical amount of money on ebay.

IIRC caddi is one of our elderly posters here, I think he just got into the computer tinkering a bit later than alot of us :p

I remember pre-ordering my last AGP card when I was stationed in Korea, an eVGA 6600GT. Put that sucker in my Abit mobo that housed my Athlon XP Barton core and played the crap outta HL2, CS:Source, and EQ2. Good times. Next build I did was an AM2 system right when AM2 was released. That was my first pcie build :)

ok rescuetoaster let's do the deed.
I don't bench for bot points but it sounds like I might have to try it any way.

I just want you to know that you guys made me feel like the students at emory in Atlanta,.........SCARED!!!!! the little sissys saw a pro trump scribble and wet their panties.
YOU BULLIES!!!!!!!

Replied - this beast even has optical audio, so I guess if you get bored benching it you might be able to make it into an HTPC.

Back