• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox HDMI frustrating issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itachiii

Hello guys, it's been a while since I logged into the forums coz of some personal stuff. Now that I got finally some free time, I wanted to start tweaking some stuff I was planning a long time now. I started playing around with my custom loop for my pc and I was like "Ohw well, let's check how the old Xbox 360 does..". Long story short, I have an xbox 360 which I bought Christmass of 2010. The device was barely used, since we were playing 2 games by that time. And by "us" I mean me and my brother. None else touched it. It's hooked on a Phillips 38" via HDMI. Everything were going ok, I was playing just fine but suddenly a green flash on the screen and there's no signal to the TV. I tried the composite cable that comes along with the xbox and it was working just fine. I thought "it must be the HDMI port of the xbox". I tried different cables and different ports on the TV to be sure and it didnt work on any of them. Other devices connected via HDMI on the same TV work properly without any trouble. Here comes the fun part though: I hooked my xbox on the bedroom TV which is a Phillips as well but like 2-3 years older than the living room TV and it did the same thing. I was like, "ok the xbox hdmi port is fried". Whatsoever, I wanted to try my luck with a third Samsung tv we got, which is 23" and much much newer, AND IT WORKED! The Phillips TVs differ 2 years from each other and from what I've seen online they most likely have the same HDMI controllers.

Any clues of what is going sour? I contacted Microsoft but it didn't really work out with the solutions they suggested. It's a pity because the xbox hasn't worked more than 6 months in total and there was no hacking etc. on it.

Thanks in advance!

Hello guys, it's been a while since I logged into the forums coz of some personal stuff. Now that I got finally some free time, I wanted to start tweaking some stuff I was planning a long time now. I started playing around with my custom loop for my pc and I was like "Ohw well, let's check how the old Xbox 360 does..". Long story short, I have an xbox 360 which I bought Christmass of 2010. The device was barely used, since we were playing 2 games by that time. And by "us" I mean me and my brother. None else touched it. It's hooked on a Phillips 38" via HDMI. Everything were going ok, I was playing just fine but suddenly a green flash on the screen and there's no signal to the TV. I tried the composite cable that comes along with the xbox and it was working just fine. I thought "it must be the HDMI port of the xbox". I tried different cables and different ports on the TV to be sure and it didnt work on any of them. Other devices connected via HDMI on the same TV work properly without any trouble. Here comes the fun part though: I hooked my xbox on the bedroom TV which is a Phillips as well but like 2-3 years older than the living room TV and it did the same thing. I was like, "ok the xbox hdmi port is fried". Whatsoever, I wanted to try my luck with a third Samsung tv we got, which is 23" and much much newer, AND IT WORKED! The Phillips TVs differ 2 years from each other and from what I've seen online they most likely have the same HDMI controllers.

Any clues of what is going sour? I contacted Microsoft but it didn't really work out with the solutions they suggested. It's a pity because the xbox hasn't worked more than 6 months in total and there was no hacking etc. on it.

Thanks in advance!

It's not the Xbox or the TVs... it's the HDMI cable (or cables). There were different revisions of HDMI cables and the combination of cable/TV/Device would be enough to make something not function. I had the same trouble with the original (non-slim) Xbox 360 and certain HDMI cables. Find the manual for the TVs online and see what the designation for their ports is.

Hello guys and thx a lot for the replies. The specific cable was used for a long time without problems. If it had issues with the TV, then my laptop would not work with the HDMI cable, but it does.

I thibk it's some sort of HDCP problem as well but how do you solve those?

Back