• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Page File question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Increased wear?
Hasn't Been A Worry For years.

From what I have read across the net. The SF should be placed on a different drive and preferably not a SSD. You would counter by saying that the SSD is the perfect candidate for a PF. Studies have show (in the past Like +5 years ago) that having a PF on a SSD does indeed increase wear and tear on the internal memory chips and lowers the life span.
Some internal controllers did have problems and caused the above to happen. What controllers - UNKNOWN.

I remember reading where one chap did a Mathematical life span of a 64GB SSD from everyday use. He stated "From the advance wear leveling algorithm and Manufactures including extra memory to compensate. A 64GB SSD would last 10 years before the memory reached it's R/W lifespan."

Since then IIRC we have went from SLC - MLC - TLC. This is all with a "grain of salt" as the internal controller can mess up/die at any time. I had a PCIe OCZ Revo3Drive 240GB. I ended up having to RMA it 3 times because of bad controllers. They refunded me the full price that I had payed for it. This was just before they got bought out by Toshiba.

^ I miss that drive. There was no loading windows screen. I would be fully booted into windows before the windows start up sound would catch up :) IIRC OCZ had A LOT of RMA's from that series of drives.
Again, it's been years since writes are a concern on ssds. Leave the PF on the ssd!!

Gooe 'ssd endurance test' and read those couple of articles that tested TLC ssds.

Hasn't Been A Worry For years.

Again, it's been years since writes are a concern on ssds. Leave the PF on the ssd!!

Gooe 'ssd endurance test' and read those couple of articles that tested TLC ssds.
On to the SSD it goes then!!

A lot of older games (Vista, XP and older) still use pagefile, so disabling it is ill advised if you still play them.

i cant recall which game it was... but a fairly recent game kept crashing with memory errors on my buddy's pc.
he had 8gb of ram, and it never filled up before it crashed due to a ram error, then we realized his PF was disabled, enabled it, and no more problems.
i think it may have been Evolve?

Pagefiles are good. They allow the OS to page stuff in memory out to disk when it's not in use, or to avoid an out of memory condition. If the OS has to page because memory is full, it does slow things down... but if the alternative is a crash, well, great.

All the mucking with the pagefile in past years was due to worry about SSD lifespan, the space it took up, or trying to force the OS to keep things in memory. Not of that is really necessary anymore and I haven't messed with pagefile settings in a while.

Just let it do its thing for Win7 and up!

Back