• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any news on power draw of the new pascal cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

I'm looking to buy a PSU right now to replace my now 4 year old PSU to go with a unit that isn't overkill for my needs, but wont starve my system of power. I haven't read anything on the expected powerdraw of the cards, mostly because its still too early to tell, but I just wanted to get an idea rolling in my head.

The plan:

Two Dual GPU pascal cards(X90)*if they exist ever.* Going to buy them separate from each other, so an immediate purchase is unnecessary.

Running an I7 6700k, 7 fans*8 if you include psu*

1 m.2 ssd, 1 standard ssd, 2 HDD's for mass storage.

My guess is ~ 1000 watts because of the dual gpu cards. Think i can snake by with an 850?

So..... you want 2 DUAL GPU cards? For what purpose? Multiple 4K monitors??!!

Anyway, assuming you meant what you typed, I would assume the vaporware dual GPU Pascal cards to be in the area of 400-500W each. So, no an 850W wouldn't do. In fact, I would look at 1.3KW PSU. Say, EVGA Supernova G2 or P2 1300W.

But really, unless you are rocking multiple 4K monitors, there is no need for that type of GPU setup... not even close. In fact, one of those cards, should they ever hit the market (I wouldn't expect that until mid 2017 honestly), would easily power a single 4K monitor assuming they are as fast/faster as 980Ti (as two of those can handle 4K).

I think you should wait and see when at least some rumors come out or when the big pascal hits and just double that power use. This thread is pretty premature and purely an exercise in speculation.

I was thinking VR headsets. My 770 is insufficient for the very first generation of modern VR, and is indeed, falling behind the high end specs of games, sub 20 fps in Black Desert Online. I was thinking of the future of that. I wanted to be able to play without any lag in VR, and that was the surefire way of doing it, albeit overkill.

I'd be satisfied with one DGPU card, but I want to stay DGPU if possible, because I'm sticking to air cooling, and I want to be able to run anything I throw at it. I don't want to choke my cards of air because they are tightly packed into a tiny space.

I was thinking VR headsets. My 770 is insufficient for the very first generation of modern VR, and is indeed, falling behind the high end specs of games, sub 20 fps in Black Desert Online. I was thinking of the future of that. I wanted to be able to play without any lag in VR, and that was the surefire way of doing it, albeit overkill.

I'd be satisfied with one DGPU card, but I want to stay DGPU if possible, because I'm sticking to air cooling, and I want to be able to run anything I throw at it. I don't want to choke my cards of air because they are tightly packed into a tiny space.

So, you're going to a quad GPU setup because a single 770 won't run VR properly... right...

Go get a 980Ti and call it a day.

for all the vr a single 980ti will get the job done.
as far as waiting on the next best thing..... I just signed the contract for my grid to be installed, I can get it all tesla m60's now so that's what's going in, I'll look at pascal when it gets here.

Back