• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

But... but... I *love* my old x58! Too bad Windows 10 doesn't.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FloorPizza

Gents, I have a bit of a problem.

Long ago, back in the days I had hair, x58 ruled the world as did the i7-920. Fast forward to today... I no longer have hair (or all that many teeth, really) and x58 has gone the path of the acoustic modem.... Or has it? Honestly, I have loved, loved, LOVED my old x58. She's an MSI Eclipse SLI, sporting an i7-920 that has ran at 3.8 ghz all these long years. 24/7/365 since the day I built her. Never a blue screen, never a problem. Sure, I ditched the GTX 295 card during my mid life crisis years for the lovely nubile gtx 980, but hey, what's a guy gonna do? And yeah, I had a wandering eye and replaced the old OS hard drive with an SSD, but how in the world is any red blooded guy gonna resist that?

And to this day, she runs whatever I throw at her. All the new games, all the old games.. everything in between. I just love this old board!

Yet once again, my eye has wandered.... That Windows 10 looks really niiiiiiice. Time to put a new dress on the old gal and take her to the ball, right?

Well... no.

I upgraded to Windows 10. Honestly, I had zero hopes that it was going to work at all. I managed to make it through about four days before I started getting blue screens with CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT errors. I've searched and searched for guys having this same problem, and while I did find a lot of people having this same issue, I wasn't really able to find much in the way of success stories; most ended with "yeah, the x58 is older than I am. You're not gonna find drivers that will play nice with Windows 10 for it." I did take out the overclock, which didn't help at all. I also did verify that I had the last BIOS revision for my board, as well as all the latest drivers listed on MSI's site.

In the end, I did a complete restore of both the OS and Applications partitions on the SSD back to how they existed before I upgraded to Windows 10. (totally off topic, but I loved Acronis 2013. So much so that I upgraded to Acronis 2016 without hesitation. Short version: Acronis 2016 -the paid for version- is nothing more than a way for Acronis to shove pop up ad after pop up ad at you. Avoid at all costs.)

I don't see 4k gaming in my immediate future (see what I did there? :p), and am still completely in love with my dear old girl. Isn't there some way I can convince Windows 10 to play nice?

Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Intel doesn't support the X58 platform as of 2013. If MSI doesn't have drivers for your board then I'm not sure what you can do.
One thought is to try Win8 or Win8.1 drivers, it's most likely you're running in to issues with the INF driver.

Thank you for the reply, ATMINSIDE, I'll go take a shot at finding the last released INF drivers for x58 on intel's site. I've always had such poor luck with finding the correct drivers on Intel's site. Apparently others have had a rough go of it as well, as Intel released a program to (attempt) to make it easier. Unfortunately, their little utility won't run on my board as it's too old.

I'll scratch around a bit.. see what I can find, and post a link to it so you guys can make sure I'm installing the right INF.

Edit: So just to be sure it wouldn't work, I downloaded intel's inf update utility, and sure enough.... it wouldn't work. So I poked around a bit, and came up with https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...Intel-6-5-4-3-900-Series-Chipsets-Zip-Format-, hoping that it's the last/latest INF update for x58. I installed it, and it said it installed successfully, but looking at all the x58 and ICH10 drivers in device manager, they still show older drivers.

Also, am I correct that the link above is the last/latest INF driver for x58?

Yet another Edit: I've tried looking around overclockers.com (as well as other sites) for success stories of people running Windows 10 on x58. I haven't had much luck, although I have seen one guy's signature that said he had two x58 motherboards running Windows 10. I was going to send him a PM asking for advice, but alas... I seem to have inadvertently closed the window I had open showing his forum name. I'm quite sure he's on this forum. The search continues...

Last edited:
Yep. I'm here. I love my x58 too. Initially, I had a huge install issue with Win10. I can't recall the error but when all was said and done, it turned out that Windows 10 did not like my USB3 card. This is odd to me because it was the newest device in the system. Once I took out that card, I had no problem with the install. I was not able to get Windows 10 to accept that card even after the install. Remove everything except what you need to run the machine and test it.

The only other problem I had with Windows 10 was also during the install. In that case, I ran memtest 86+ and found a RAM chip had gone bad. So, run memtest 86+ If you have a lot of RAM like I do, you never really hit all of your ram during normal use. My last client had 8 gig but the first 6 or 7 was fine. It wasn't until they hit the full amount of RAM that the problem showed.

Next, with Windows 10 installed, What does your Windows System Log and Application log show? You could probably get a better view of the actual issue.

Note that I fold 24/7 with both of my x58 machines and they are rock solid aside from the USB3 card issue. One is an MSI board and I don't recall what the other one is. I did not do anything special to install them. Windows 10 is really not much different from Vista/7/8/8.1 in terms of drivers. They are all on the same base Windows code. Clearly there is a difference but not so much of a difference.

*edit* If I can think of anything more, I will post it. I see no reason that you can't have a stable install of Windows 10 64bit on the x58 platform.

*edit* ATM. I love your "storage drive" bit in your sig. Good show.

*edit* I was looking at your stats page. I see you list that you have 16 GB of RAM. Definitely test it with memtest 86+. I also see that you have an 850 watt power supply. Based on age alone, it may be time to consider replacing it. I have. With your 980 and the OC you were using, you've probably found the edge of what it can do. Time is not kind to power supplies.

Finally, consider posting more on the forums in general. I like your sense of humor and dedication to hardware. You joined in 2009 but these are your only two posts. Share the love man.

Oh, one last thing, put your hardware in your sig so that we don't have to guess what you're working with. Makes it easier to help out.

Last edited:
don256us, thanks a bunch!

I did update my signature with my pc specs yesterday, but it's not showing up on posts I'd already made. Hopefully it will now.

You know, I did just recently (as in 2 weeks ago) upgrade my RAM from the original 6Gigs of OCZ to the current 16Gigs of Corsair, and I haven't run Memtest on it since. That's usually the very first thing I do after a RAM upgrade, but my son wanted me to play TF2 "right now, Dad!" so I put it off. See how I shifted the blame to my son? My wife taught me that bit. I'll have to do a bit of looking around, as my old startup CD for Memtest is circa 2008 or so. Glad to see it's still the de facto memory tester.

Yesterday I was poking around a bit in Device Manager after updating my INF's when I noticed something.... well, I hate to use the word "odd", as that's the word my wife usually reserves for me, so let's go with "peculiar." There is a listing titled "Acronis Devices" with two sub listings under it: "Acronis TIB Mounter" and "Acronis Virtual Disk Bus". The latter of which has the dreaded exclamation point icon over it. Further examination reveals "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)" under the Properties, General Tab.

Back in around '09 or so, I had Acronis setup with a small recovery partition on a long-since-gone mechanical drive I used as my OS/boot device. It was rather handy, in that if anything went wrong, I could simply boot to the recovery partition, run Acronis, and recover my latest goof from a backup. While that particular drive is now landfill fodder (no recycling in my small town back then), it appears that Acronis has left some stuff hanging out in the Device Manager.

The reason this intrigues me, is that Windows 10 immediately got it's shorts twisted when I tried to run Acronis 2013; it immediately disabled it due to incompatibility issues. So I upgraded to Acronis 2016. When I very first tried to run Acronis 2016, it became unresponsive. Now previous to upgrading to 2016, I still had all the little bits of Acronis 2013 still installed: the backup scheduler, backup task manager, etc. I'm wondering if all of my Windows 10 issues might very well be boiled down to Acronis 2013.

I think I now at least have a plan of attack: I will uninstall Acronis, making sure that alllllllll of it's sneaky little bits are gone, including any Device Manager entries. I'll then run Memtest overnight, and make sure my new memory is copacetic. Then I'll try to re-install Windows 10 and see what happens.

Unfortunately, I'm leaving on a week long trip tomorrow, so most of this will have to wait 'til I get back. But at least now I have a couple of leads to follow. We might be able to shove the old girl in to the new dress after all.

Many thanks!

P.S. I'd like to post more on the forums, but unfortunately, my knowledge of computers is as long in the tooth as I am; I'm afraid I'd have very little to contribute to the conversation, unless, of course, said conversation was about old hardware. *Really* old hardware. I enjoy reading these (and other) hardware forums, in an attempt to glean a bit of knowledge about the current state of computers, but it seems I'm never able to get completely caught up. I do, however, greatly appreciate all the knowledge you guys are willing to share.

Last edited:
I just realized I completely blew past a few rather important parts of your post...

Yep. I'm here. I love my x58 too. Initially, I had a huge install issue with Win10. I can't recall the error but when all was said and done, it turned out that Windows 10 did not like my USB3 card. This is odd to me because it was the newest device in the system. Once I took out that card, I had no problem with the install. I was not able to get Windows 10 to accept that card even after the install. Remove everything except what you need to run the machine and test it.

The only hardware I have added is the GTX 980 card, and a sound card (the name of which escapes me at the moment). Think I should remove the sound card, then? Hmmm... I did add some third party drivers/software for that card. Maybe I'll see if I can track them all down and get rid of them. Maybe scrub the system of all sound card related files prior to the Windows 10 install, then add in the card after the Windows 10 upgrade is complete. Does that sound like a decent plan?

Next, with Windows 10 installed, What does your Windows System Log and Application log show? You could probably get a better view of the actual issue.
Unfortunately, I didn't have the presence of mind to check while I still had Windows 10 installed. I'll keep that in mind should things go south after the next upgrade attempt.

I also see that you have an 850 watt power supply. Based on age alone, it may be time to consider replacing it. I have. With your 980 and the OC you were using, you've probably found the edge of what it can do. Time is not kind to power supplies.
Fortunately, I do still have "the Secret VISA" card just for such situations. Now if I can arrange for delivery while She Who Must Not Be Named isn't home....

1) Yep. Remove the sound card and see what your results are. If it is not needed to bring the machine up and running, don't install it just yet. Install Windows 10 and see how it goes. If it's stable, install your sound card. It that's stable, install your <whatever>. It that's stable, install the next thing.

2) The log files will come in to play once you are up and running with Win10.

3) You may not need a new PS just yet. Let's see how it goes with the "free" stuff first.

I found your thread somewhat amusing, from the point of view that as old as the hardware is, it still holds its own. A friend of mine recently made a comment how my computer (x58/920) was so much snappier and ran better than his, which he just bought last summer. He is the type of guy that has no taskbar space left for open apps because its filled with links to just about anything. I still have two x58 rigs up and running and besides my gaming rig, they are my go to machines for anything. The x58 chipset has been by far the biggest bang for the buck in my pc world.

1) Yep. Remove the sound card and see what your results are. If it is not needed to bring the machine up and running, don't install it just yet. Install Windows 10 and see how it goes. If it's stable, install your sound card. It that's stable, install your <whatever>. It that's stable, install the next thing.

2) The log files will come in to play once you are up and running with Win10.

3) You may not need a new PS just yet. Let's see how it goes with the "free" stuff first.

Excellent. I should be back in town one week from today. I plan on sending the wife shoe shopping so I can spend the day peacefully working on the computer. And I thought this was going to be a "free upgrade". : /

I found your thread somewhat amusing, from the point of view that as old as the hardware is, it still holds its own. A friend of mine recently made a comment how my computer (x58/920) was so much snappier and ran better than his, which he just bought last summer. He is the type of guy that has no taskbar space left for open apps because its filled with links to just about anything. I still have two x58 rigs up and running and besides my gaming rig, they are my go to machines for anything. The x58 chipset has been by far the biggest bang for the buck in my pc world.

I've owned many computers, starting with an Apple IIe. I still have an original Macintosh in its original boxes, complete with manuals and MacPaint and MacWrite floppies stashed away in the attic (no, it's not for sale). The point? I completely agree: the x58 has run the marathon; it is now the longest serving machine I have ever owned. By far the best bang for the buck ever in the pc world.

Even if I should be able to coax The Boss that I really do need to build a new machine, the x58 will not be taken out of service. It will take on a new role as a server, and will continue to serve as such until the day it finally melts. At which point, it will be disassembled and placed in a shadow box in my den.

Right.. well, it's nearly 6 a.m. Where has this day gone? Time to get on the road.

this is disheartening to hear, I like building rigs for no reason x58 and 775 are high on the list, after a recent fail from an x58 evga mobo hearing this hits me even harder....

if you figure it all out buy the old girl a 990x cpu, she deserves it.

Edit: question, after upgrading to 10 have you done a fresh install or are you still working with all the old os files hanging around?

Hi i'm a little to late to answer this post and im new on this site but i still use my old i7 920 and x58, and i still does not get any problems. 4.0 ghz , Zotac amp extreme , 24 gb and windows 10.
I can miss understand the problem. but I7 920 works very well on windows 10. i get better fps than my amd fx 9590 whit that one on battlefield 1 , DOOM and such more . I do not have upgraded bios driver or anything for motherboard. i has tried audio driver for windows 7 and that worked. But i did have the same problem when i overklocked my cpu " 920 " to 4.2 ghz , but when i did go back to 4.0 i didn't have any bluescreens . But are you sure it has not to do whit Windows 10 and old bios driver ? cuz i do not update my drivers for bios anymore. and well i have Asus p6t SE x58 and it still works. Hope you did fix the problem. Reegards

Ruh roh! Looks like you lost CPU core stability! I would check the PSU caps and motherboard caps...(just in case) The motherboard is less likely to have cap issues.

That BSOD error means a core dropped out. That would suck major time for it to keep being unstable at only 3.8! If lucky, maybe it's just because of dust and heat...

If getting a new system from scratch, even that new multi-unlocked Core i3 kicks ***!

It's supposed to be called the Core i3-7350K

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/unlocked-kaby-lake-core-i3-7350k-pending.html

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I recently started buying old LGA 1366 hardware off eBay. Found some good deals too.

Remember if your i7 takes a dirt nap the Xeon X56xx series is an excellent replacement. You get six cores, more cache, it runs cooler and it can address up to 288GB RAM. I have my X5660 running at 4.37GHz. Have less than $200 in the mobo, RAM and CPU. :D

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon X5660 - AT80614005127AA (BX80614X5660).html

I still rock my x58.. it currently has either a bad mem controller or my board gave out some cause I can only use like 4 or 5 of my 6 mem lanes, but whatever.. i still can get the OC to hold out at 3.4-3.6.. had to turn it down (must update sig at some point), but I havent had any other major issues and this things been running for 8+years and some of the parts I'm the 2nd owner..
Gonna need to get a new mobo so i can turn her in to the "kids" pc after the holidays.. its a lot harder to find a decent x58 board than i thought..most of the decent ones are way overpriced.

I've had mine on w10 for a while now, never got an issue on install that I remember either. I also do not have USB3 or any other fancy schmancy parts either.

And I totally agree that this machine has been worth every penny I've put in to her.. I never had a pc last more then 3-4 years and this old bag is 8+ and only a lost a few teeth.. she ain't gumming it yet!

I still rock my x58.. it currently has either a bad mem controller or my board gave out some cause I can only use like 4 or 5 of my 6 mem lanes, but whatever.. i still can get the OC to hold out at 3.4-3.6.. had to turn it down (must update sig at some point), but I havent had any other major issues and this things been running for 8+years and some of the parts I'm the 2nd owner..
Gonna need to get a new mobo so i can turn her in to the "kids" pc after the holidays.. its a lot harder to find a decent x58 board than i thought..most of the decent ones are way overpriced.

I've had mine on w10 for a while now, never got an issue on install that I remember either. I also do not have USB3 or any other fancy schmancy parts either.

And I totally agree that this machine has been worth every penny I've put in to her.. I never had a pc last more then 3-4 years and this old bag is 8+ and only a lost a few teeth.. she ain't gumming it yet!

I installed Win 10 a couple of nights ago. Everything went pretty well except the Ethernet is not working correctly. I know I can get that working so I am not worried. :D

I know this is a really old thread, but in case someone else gets here through a google search or a standard search...
The solution for me was a BIOS update. Fresh USB Windows 10 install would either get stuck during the install process, or the PC would reboot. I updated the BIOS and now I'm watching the 4GB update download (after I went through the Welcome process).
Motherboard is an ASRock X58 Extreme.

Back