• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a little info and help please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkdude

im not ashamed to say i dont know much about computers, but have decided i want a gaming rig. so ive set off out with my monthly budget and bought what i could afford each month. now i know i am too clumsy and not smart enough to build it myself, so i have enlisted a friend to build it then set it up for me, so my questions are this. have i got enough power from my power supply to run this. and secondly will this computer work, and work well? I mostly use it for gaming and photoshop for my photography., i have had to remove some stuff as i lost my job, mainly 2 more 6tb hardrives, 1 more 1tb ssd and watercooling on my graphics cards, which i will be buying slowly.
1 x Essence STX ii Sound Card
1 x Hauppage 2205 Tv card
1 x LG 16x DVD/Bluray writer
1 x Icybox 867 card reader
1 x ASUS USB-BT400 Network adapter
1 x ASUS PCE-AC68 (to boost wifi signal)
4 x Red LED strips
1 x Kraken x61 closed loop
1 x naga hex wraith red edition mouse
1 x duckyshine 4 mechanical keyboar
1 x Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X (until i can buy a warthog)
noise dampening material
12 x Antec TrueQuiet 120mm UFO Case fan
1 x 140mm Thermachill fan
2 x 140mm Apache Black Edition PWM Fan

Buying next month:

PG348Q ROG Swift 34" 3440x1440 IPS G-Sync 100Hz Gaming Widescreen Curved LED Monitor

X-Dream Rocker Ultra 4.1 Bluetooth Gaming Chair

thanks in advance

you didnt list any actual components (cpu, gpu, ram, mobo, psu) so I can't really comment on anything

you didnt list any actual components (cpu, gpu, ram, mobo, psu) so I can't really comment on anything

sorry i dont know what happened there

1 x Corsair 900D case £285.65
2 X Poseidon GTX 980 Graphics card (Not Ti) £1000
1 X 1tb Samsung 850 Pro SSD £329.99
1 x 250Gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD £67.50
1 x Green 6tb Western Digital HDD 189.99
1 x Be Quiet! 1200W Power Supply £180.61
1 x Rampage V Extreme Mother Board £382.66
1 x i7 5690X Processor £769.01
1 x 32 GB Avexir Core DDR4 series Ram £215.99
1 x Essence STX ii Sound Card £189.99
1 x Hauppage 2205 Tv card £110.47
1 x LG 16x DVD/Bluray writer £77.27
1 x Icybox 867 card reader £22.99
1 x ASUS USB-BT400 Network adapter £10.49
1 x ASUS PCE-AC68 (to boost wifi signal) £69.99
4 x Red LED strips £20.00
1 x Kraken x61 closed loop £92.66
1 x naga hex wraith red edition mouse £64.79
1 x duckyshine 4 mechanical keyboar £146.33
1 x Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X (until i can buy a warthog)£30.97
noise dampening material £20.00
15 x Antec TrueQuiet 120mm UFO Case fan £170.00
1 x 140mm Thermachill fan £22.00

£5321.25

Buying next month:

PG348Q ROG Swift 34" 3440x1440 IPS G-Sync 100Hz Gaming Widescreen Curved LED Monitor £999.99

X-Dream Rocker Ultra 4.1 Bluetooth Gaming Chair £219.95

- - - Updated - - -

ignore the prices lol it was my shopping list >.<

Do you really need such a expensive motherboard? the CPU I would go with 5820k overclocked will do well.

Last edited:
I think you could save money on the motherboard, the RAM and the 6TB WD Green Drive. And I never heard of Be Quiet as a PSU brand. But you don't really need a 1200 watt PSU. 800W would be plenty and I would recommend going with a quality, reputable brand like Seasonic, Corsair, EVGA or XFS. Looks like you are intending to do video editing but even so, 16gb of RAM should be enough. Do you really need two SSD drives and do you really need a 6TB spinner for storage and waste? I"m thinking a 3 or 4 TB drive would be enough.

I think you could save money on the motherboard, the RAM and the 6TB WD Green Drive. And I never heard of Be Quiet as a PSU brand. But you don't really need a 1200 watt PSU. 800W would be plenty and I would recommend going with a quality, reputable brand like Seasonic, Corsair, EVGA or XFS. Looks like you are intending to do video editing but even so, 16gb of RAM should be enough. Do you really need two SSD drives and do you really need a 6TB spinner for storage and waste? I"m thinking a 3 or 4 TB drive would be enough.

hi i already bought the stuff, mys question more was if i would have enough power and wether the pieces would work together.

Be Quiet! is a german firm, linus from tech tips loves them :)

i do video and photo editing, i fill about 1tb of memory a month in photos alone. as when i do a photo, i keep the RAW image, a PSD a Large jpg, and a small jpg. so i go through a lot. :)

its also for gaming.

the secondary one is for a backup operating system the other is for the OS and games

The CPU needs to be a 5960x for that motherboard? All the items you picked out will work together.

thanks guys :) and wingman, i just wanted to splash out. its rare i get something thats top quality, normally get cheap second hand stuff so i saved up and got this :) luckily i know someone with nimbler hands and better eyesight than me :) it will look nice sitting next to my 8 year old canon 5D "betty" :)

and this to me is an overkill machine. but thank you everyone for your input :) its all been most appreciated and welcome :)

this is extreme overkill for your needs
just get a single 980ti, a 5820k or 5930k (if you want those extra pci-e lanes), asrock x99 extreme4 instead of the overpriced asus board

you can put the saved money into buying a new camera or lenses ;)

darkdude, you need to get this camera if you are going to do this right:

darkdude, you need to get this camera if you are going to do this right:

Just gone mirrorless :). it does feel good to be having a computer other people i know are jealus of. my last computer i had was back in 1997

this is extreme overkill for your needs
just get a single 980ti, a 5820k or 5930k (if you want those extra pci-e lanes), asrock x99 extreme4 instead of the overpriced asus board

you can put the saved money into buying a new camera or lenses ;)
Exactly.

I understand you want the best, but, its not going to get you anywhere except having a lighter wallet. As was said above, a 5820K/5930K are PLENTY. You do not and presumably will not extreme cool so there is no need for that ASUS board at all.

Exactly.

I understand you want the best, but, its not going to get you anywhere except having a lighter wallet. As was said above, a 5820K/5930K are PLENTY. You do not and presumably will not extreme cool so there is no need for that ASUS board at all.

i know, i knew it when i bought all the stuff. at the time i had the money. :) and ive looked at liquid nitrogen cooling. my dad used to be a plumber and engineer, so that isnt beyond the realm of possibility in the future. but i know its a big drain on the wallet. but yeah if it can do everything. its good. my friend is goingto overclock it for me slightly.

Back