• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking advice on this ASrock board with FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ohcrapitsalex

Hi all

While my computer/tech knowledge is pretty strong, OC'ing is something I've never ventured into. I have a new build, parts coming in on Friday. I just want to get a jump start on advice/instructions/help on OC'ing with this specific board.

Some notes:
-I am looking to OC this to only around 4.1ghz
-My budget allowed me to only squeeze in 8gb (4gbx2) DDR3 1866 RAM. However, I have some PNY 1333 RAM, also 4gbx2 laying around. I'd like to know if, and how, I can OC the 1333 so that I can get all 16gb running at 1600 (as I know the 1866 will downclock to 1333) until I can afford another set of the RAM I just purchased.

Relevant Specs:

Mobo: ASrock 970A-G/3.1 - Manual
CPU: AMD FX-6300
Cooler: Air for now, CoolerMaster Vortex Plus with Artic Silver 5
RAM: Klevv Urbane DDR3 1866 8gb (4gbx2) and PNY Optima DDR3 1333 8gb (4gbx2)
PSU: Thermaltake SMART Series SP-650PCBUS 650W Bronze

So, any advice on what exactly I need to do to OC my CPU and RAM as noted above with this motherboard would be greatly appreciated.
I HAVE already read the great guide on here to OCing the FX and for noobs. However, in hopes of not screwing up, I am hoping someone will know exactly what I need to do in this UEFI to accomplish what I am looking to do.

Here are some screenshots of the UEFI I pulled from the ASrock site manual for this MOBO.

5a48ax.png.jpg

eg66xl.png.jpg

rrjpye.png.jpg

(I put the last one in there in case it's recommended that I disable featurs such as CnQ or any of the others there)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

:welcome: to OCF ohcrapitsalex
You shouldn't have too much trouble reaching that goal. I wouldn't bother with the extra 1333 ram, more than 8 GB isn't necessary really unless you have some software that pushes the limit already. Last page disable C&Q and thermal throttle most likely. Not too familiar with that one. Set the OC mode to manual and disable the turbo feature. I don't see th multiplier option in those shots so I'll check the manual. Give me a few minutes. But you'll wanr Prime 95 to test stability. HWMonitor free version and CPUz to gather us some info.

EDIT: Also disable UCC and APM
You'll have o set the multiplier/voltage to manual and then you should be able to adjust the speed try 4.0 and I would set a manual voltage at 1.3 leaving everything else on auto for now. See if windows boots and you can run P95. If successful run P95 with HWMonitor open and recording temps/voltages While it's running take a SS and post it back here.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch Johan! You may or may not find anything more in the manual that helps. It may be a case of just waiting until I have the parts in hand and can post pictures for you when I have her together.

I'm actually going to be doing a lot of work in Photoshop, dreamweaver, and Muse on this, as well as some occasional light gaming. That being said, I think the extra 8gb is important to total 16gb, especially for Photoshop. It shouldn't be long before I can get afford another set of the RAM I just purchased, along with my HAF Lan Box EVO I plan to buy.

If it matters, the remaining components to my build I didn't mention are:
GPU: Powercolor r7 370 2gb version
120gb Patriot Torch strictly for OS and Software installs
2x120gb HDDs in RAID0 - 1 32gb partition strictly for page file and the remaining as a scratch disk partition for PS
1TB 7200rpm for data/storage

(My sig setup is obviously my planned final setup)

I do realize these are not ideal parts for the tasks I am using them for, however, it's all my budget allowed for the time being. Just trying to make the most with what I've got. :)

Ah, one other question in addition to the previous reply. Although I already have Windows 10 installed and my HDDs setup, I do plan to do a clean install when the parts come in. My question: Is it always best to install Windows and all drivers first before overclocking? Or should I configure the OC settings prior to installing Win? I plan to wipe my SSD and HDDs clean before installing my new parts. So should I do my clean install of Win10 first, before changing any settings?

When doing the install just install what is needed for operation like OS and drivers for Chipset/usb etc.. and GFX card. There is a possibility especially with the ram in question and trying to get them to sync that you will corrupt your OS. SO the having all your software installed at that point would be a waste of time. If you can you might want to image the initial drive so that when you're done you can easily make it shiny new and go from there.
Have you already purchased the mobo?

Yep. Everything is on its way, tracking shows it coming in tomorrow.

I do know that there are so iffy reviews on Newegg on that board, but further research shows a lot of promise with it on the budget I had. I got it in a combo deal plus a promo with the 6300 for about $150, which wasn't bad considering the 6300 is selling for 109 and that board for 82. I really wanted the 3.1 type A and C, and didn't care too much about not having the 990 chipset. I haven't seen anyone have any NB overheating issues with OCs, so I thought it was the best bang for my buck.

Why do you ask? Do you see potential issues with it? Or just had a different suggestion if I hadn't already bought it?

I would have pointed you toward the new ASUS 970 pro myself. I have personal ex with that one. I have seen one of the Asrocks toasted already BUT the person was running 5.0/8 core with too high of power requirements. I'm sure you'll likely be fine as long as you keep it modest. Your cooling will be the first to ru out I think.

the clock you're gunning for will be easy.
you might find the 6300 will not like mixed ram sets or might not run 4 stix anyway, 8 gigs in two stix is plenty for most of us and ram speed will, as a rule, gain you nothing, so please don't bother, just chuck in one or the other kit and leave it at that.
the only thing that really matters is that when you boot it, open cpu-z to the memory tab and it shows it's running dual channel, easy!!!

the one thing I don't see listed in your parts list is drives, get an ssd for the operating system, this is the one thing that REALLY, REALLY makes a rig snappy!!!!

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I am sorry I am so new to this OCing! Searching online for these answers is difficult, as terminology is so different board to board in the bios/uefi.

I finally got my parts in and everything is up and running. Now i'm ready to overclock! However, i'm a little confused. Can someone please guide me to what i'm changing here? These are actual screenshots from my UEFI.

I'd like to try for 4.2ghz OC.

I'm confused even by the setting in the first picture that says "Overclock Mode". Do I want this set to auto or manual? If manual, what do I change the values to as seen in picture (if change at all?)?

Then, what am I changing in the settings for the "Multiplier/Voltage Change"?

ff37ma.png.jpg

2jucp.png.jpg

Thanks guys!

Most of what you need to know is in post #2 you're on the right path with the two manual settings you have made just check the rest from my previous post

Ok great, thanks. Only other question, should I change the NB multiplier at all or keep it at 2000mhz? And the HT? I can go as high as 2400...it's at 2000 when set to auto. Should I keep it at 2000 or can I up it to 22/24? I know a lot of this is just trial and error, seeing what it can handle while remaining stable, but I don't want to do something if someone already knows I shouldn't.

Start with the CPU we'll look at the other busses after it's done

Ok great, thanks. Only other question, should I change the NB multiplier at all or keep it at 2000mhz? And the HT? I can go as high as 2400...it's at 2000 when set to auto. Should I keep it at 2000 or can I up it to 22/24? I know a lot of this is just trial and error, seeing what it can handle while remaining stable, but I don't want to do something if someone already knows I shouldn't.

The HT is stock 2600mhz. You shouldn't need any extra voltage to run that rated speed. So you shouldn't have to worry much about that.

I believe the 2600 is only on the 990 no? My board only allows 2400 max

Maybe a different bios would exposed that? Depends on how they write the bios.

One thing I've always noticed is the HT is set to 2000 while overclocking and HT settings on auto. I figured they would think there's more stability while running a lower frequency. Since you are not running multiple processors like a 2P board, the HT bandwidth is more than plenty even at a way lower actual frequency. So there's no worries where you set it. Even 1800mhz you'll hardly ever know the difference.

My next advice is to give us some desktop screen shots and some CPU-Z tabs. We will really give you some more helps that way!

Back