• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In real world how much loss is there in a 100Mb ethernet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingman99

In real world how much loss is there in a 100Mb Ethernet in a house?

Last edited:
That depends on what you are doing? Are you transferring files around? If so, you're limited to 12.5-ish MB/s, pretty slow by most standards (among other limitations to sharing that 100mbit throughout the entire local network as well).

I know how to calculate, just wondering if there is any loss with 100Mb Ethernet connection running with only the internet download?

Well, if you did the calculator and know your DL speeds from your ISP, you can answer that question. Only you know your DL speeds, so I gave you the part that was missing. ;)

You realize you asked a different question in tbe OP and the post above right? So what are you trying to do? Transfer from pc to pc or DL from web? Either way, you have the answer (janus) or can figure out, the second question. Elementary my dear wingman. :)

Last edited:
That is the problem my internet provider says I'm not getting the full speed of 60Mb/s for my fiber connection because of my Ethernet;), he says 57Mb/s that I'm receiving is normal loss?

Do the math wingman...

I can tell you I max out, with a 75Mb/s DL speed around 10-11MB/s on gig ethernet. Seeing as how 100mb is 12MBs....you should be able to figure it out.

I'm getting more than my ISP offers... my speedtest.net results show that.

EDIT: you say "he says" talking about your ISP. How do they know your actual speeds? Try running a speed test from speedtest.net and post back.

Last edited:
I did do the math EarthDog 100 Mb/s network to my PC and I'm receiving 57 Mb/s DL according to speedtest.net and I should receive 60 Mb/s Download from My ISP.

100Mb/s is 12.5 MB/s

57Mb/s is 7.125 MB/s

In that case, seems obvious the 100mb isn't choking anything, no? Overhead isn't 60%+ ...

Why are you running on 100 anyway? That z68 is gb...

Last edited:
Yes my network port on my motherboard is capable of Gigabit bandwidth however the switch I'm concreted to is a 100Mb/s switch. Thanks for your input, I was thinking that tech did not know what he was talking about.

100Mbs.jpg

Well I have a update, after insisting they had a problem on there end they found the problem and it was network routing, so now I have 60Mb's upload and download.

Back