• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up printer to be used by another computer on the LAN?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
just activate file and print sharing on the on the OS. and that should take care of it. Make sure the printer is set as a network printer when you installed it.

they don't need the drivers for it but they must be able to recognize and identify the printer over the network. sometimes the only way this is acheived is by actually installing the drivers (i had to do it with our printer here as i had no printer software even installed).

98 to XP

I have a printer on the downstairs 98 system, and my computer is running XP. Unfortunately, we didn't install the printer as a network printer. When I searched for network printers on "add a printer" it found none. I am going to install the printer drivers on my system first, then maybe reinstall the printer....but that's a royal pain, I think.

Thanks for the advice, ... are there any other steps I need to take?

Turn on file and print sharing and share the printer on the 98 machine then add network printer on the xp machine thats how I set mine up.

Success at last.

Thanks, all that needed to be done was to enable the printer for sharing, just as you would with any folder.

Thanks, it works fine now.

Back