• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best MB for PIII-S 1.4Ghz 512k Cache Tualatin Socket 370 CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i think best board is up for debate, with the dividers some had you couldnt oc that far. this one if you can find it might be worth a try. http://www.anandtech.com/show/737
that is if you looking to max out the cpu as much as possible. other wise i would say going with a board for a 100 to 133 oc the one suggested above would work as well as the Abit ST6 non-raid or raid models. there was another one i though i saw a review on back in the day, i can no longer find, had another divider added for ocing. this board i think it was from either Epox or Soyo and might have been a non-intel chipset had a 1/4 or 1/6 divider for 166mhz fsb and higher.

That's insane that it won't recognize more that 512.
My old SS7 recognizes 768mb. What a step backwards... But I suppose you are all right... there won't be much gained in gaming from more than 512.

The soundblaster live! that I got is CT4780.
Any ideas where I can get drivers for win98 (and win2kpro in case I'm feelin frisky) for this thing?

So you're building a dually? Sounds bad ***... Could games utilize both CPU's on a dual board back in those days? Or in win98?

Yeah that 3.3v thing is a bit of a nuisance. I have a voodoo4 4500 that I'm currently trying to get to work on the SS7 ga-5ax. Seems flaky. Not sure if it's a bad card, or my mb not being the best of agp2x boards. (or both).

By todays standards, 512 is very meager but the cost back then was astronomical. Second, to get 768 you had to use 3 x 256 which if you work that backwards, each slot only recognized 256. It didn't matter, Win 9x couldn't really use it all anyway.

Getting drivers that old gets dicey. When you download these from any site, scan, scan, scan them for virus.

Win 9x could use multiple CPUs and multithread but the software used on the OS could not. So you could run AIM and game without either suffereing from the other. It was a big deal. Remember, this is even before hyperthread. That didn't come in until the high end P4.

The soundblaster live! that I got is CT4780.
Any ideas where I can get drivers for win98 (and win2kpro in case I'm feelin frisky) for this thing?

So you're building a dually? Sounds bad ***... Could games utilize both CPU's on a dual board back in those days? Or in win98?
This site may help with those Win98 drivers.

From what i see on my dual Tualtin setup, each CPU is loaded about the same. Of course mine is a server so I've never tested games on it.
I am running Windows 2000 Advanced Server on it.

The only thing I have to say is I thought my socket 370 1.1ghz coppermind cpu Was the fastest 370 cpu, I learned something new.

Back