• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Graphics Driver Updates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
Crimson Edition 16.4.1 Hotfix

Release Date: 4/4/2016

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.4.1

Radeon Software Crimson Edition is AMD's revolutionary new graphics software that delivers redesigned functionality, supercharged graphics performance, remarkable new features, and innovation that redefines the overall user experience. Every Radeon Software release strives to deliver new features, better performance and stability improvements.

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.4.1 Highlights

Support for:

**Quantum Break™
Upto 35% faster performance using Quantum Break™ on Radeon™ R9 Fury X than with Radeon™ Software Crimson Edition 16.3.2(1).
**Oculus Rift™
**HTC Vive™

Resolved Issues

**Frame rate capping issues experienced in some DirectX®12 applications is resolved.
**Hitman™ may experience flickering when played in DirectX® 11 mode using high game shadow settings.

Known Issues

**A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay"
**Need For Speed™ may experience poor scaling or flickering in AMD Crossfire™ mode. As a work around users can disable the profile through the Radeon™ Settings game manager.
**The Division™ may experience flickering in AMD Crossfire™ mode.
**Power efficiency toggle in Radeon™ Settings is showing up for some unsupported products.
**XCOM2™ users may experience an application crash when using AMD Crossfire™ mode. As a work around please disable AMD Crossfire™ for the games profile in the Radeon™ Settings Gaming tab.
**Some DX9 applications cannot disable AMD Crossfire™ mode through Radeon™ Settings.
**A small subset of AMD Radeon™ R9 380 users may be experiencing slower than expected fan speeds. A work around is to raise your fan speeds through AMD Overdrive in Radeon™ Settings manually to a desired amount.
**HDMI Scaling options may not be available in Radeon™ Settings on some system configurations.

Release Notes & Download Links etc...

Wow, seems like they are releasing updates almost weekly.

Z

I reverted back to the 15.12 release. I have yet to find a solid stable 16.x release that does not bluescreen my pc after being on for a day. Sometimes i will reboot it and have the game crash and bluescreen within hours of a reboot.

I was thinking it was hardware related. But since reverting back, I do not have these issues. Has anyone else experienced this? Are these new drivers better overall? I would love to hear some feedback..

I haven't had a Crimson driver package worth a damn since they were released. Random black screens during boot , among other inconvenient times. Had just typed a long post in another forum and got the black screen before I could post it. I'm getting nVidia. I'm done with AMD's drivers.

I haven't had a Crimson driver package worth a damn since they were released. Random black screens during boot , among other inconvenient times. Had just typed a long post in another forum and got the black screen before I could post it. I'm getting nVidia. I'm done with AMD's drivers.

I find with the Crimson software you must wrestle with it at times. This newest driver set works fine for me. Always use something like DDU to remove the old drivers. I had issues with 16.3.1 but after that so far everything is working as expected. I do notice some improvements here and there which is a good thing. The black screen thing, isnt that related to the ultra low power states? If so go into the Crimson settings and turn off "Power Efficiency". It may help and i feel your pain. I'll also say though nVidia has its share of driver issues too. I think its sometimes just luck of the silicon lottery.

TC
Z

I use the AMD uninstaller , then Driver Fusion (after reboot) , then reboot again and install the fresh drivers , and reboot again. I've changed the power settings in the CCC and Crimson and MSI. Nothing has been a permanent fix. It happened again today while I was typing. I'm going to buy a Team Green lottery ticket next. I was looking at the 970 , but recent budget hits may stick me with a (4 GB) 960. Still a hardware upgrade and I hope a software upgrade. Otherwise I'm going to a pawn shop and getting a Xbox. LOL

Crimson Edition 16.4.2 Hotfix

Release Date: 4/25/2016

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.4.2

Radeon Software Crimson Edition is AMD's revolutionary new graphics software that delivers redesigned functionality, supercharged graphics performance, remarkable new features, and innovation that redefines the overall user experience. Every Radeon Software release strives to deliver new features, better performance and stability improvements.

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.4.2 Highlights

Updated or New Crossfire Profiles available for:
*Elite Dangerous™
*Need for Speed™

AMD Xconnect™ technology: This driver provides full support for Thunderbolt™ 3 eGFX enclosures configured with Radeon™ R9 Fury, Nano or 300 Series GPUs. This driver also provides plug'n'play simplicity, plus an integrated management interface for such devices.(1)

Resolved Issues

**The Division™ may experience flickering in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
**DOTA2™ toggling between borderless fullscreen and exclusive fullscreen can sometimes cause flickering or corruption when in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
**Some DirectX® 9 applications cannot disable AMD Crossfire™ technology mode through Radeon Settings.
**GPU clocks on some products may remain in high states after recovering from an application crash.
**A small subset of AMD Radeon™ R9 380 users may be experiencing slower than expected fan speeds.
**Power efficiency toggle in Radeon Settings is showing up for some unsupported products.
**The check for software updates feature in Radeon Settings may not find the latest available update.
*8Some games may fail to show up in Radeon Settings gaming tab.
**The Radeon Settings option may sometimes disappear as a shortcut from the right-click context menu on desktop after a software upgrade.
**Steam®VR Performance Test may experience flickering in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
**Stuttering or corruption observed while playing Fallout 4™ on some graphics products in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
**Corruption in Hitman™ when using AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
**Stuttering or freezing in some loading scenes while playing Hitman™ using AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
**Negative scaling seen on Hitman™ when using AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.

Known Issues

**A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay".
**HDMI™ Scaling options may not be available in Radeon Settings on some system configurations or some applications may ignore the HDMI™ Scaling options setting.
**The option to enable/disable AMD Crossfire™ technology logo may be missing on some system configurations from the Gaming, Global Options tab in Radeon Settings.
**The Witcher® 3: Wild Hunt inventory and character pages may exhibit flickering in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
**Radeon Settings game manager does not display icons for Origin Games.
**AMD Radeon Pro Duo users may experience a system crash or hang after resuming from sleep or hibernate.

I just removed the 15.12's and upgraded to this 16.4.2 Hotfix versions and I am getting some weird **** with odd graphics like the download arrow that is in the menu for Firefox I get a larger one over the small one like it fails to just show and do the animation yet to test some games with it though

Did you use a driver cleaner prior to installing the new ones?

Yep I used Driver Fusion after I removed the old drivers and I rebooted then checked to see if the old amd folder was there and it wasnt so I then installed the 16.4.2 hotfix ones

I'm still waiting for the update that actually works as an update. Before Crimson, when it was Catalyst, I could actually install driver updates. With Crimson, every single update has been a hard lockup while installing the new driver and after rebooting I still have the old driver. I have to use DDU to uninstall before I can install the new Crimson.

I made yet another switch between Nvidia and AMD this time going to AMD. I did not delete the Nvidia drivers first, did not use DDU to uninstall anything. Just loaded the latest AMD drivers after Windows 10 went through a couple of reboots and everything is working perfectly. Furmark and 3DMark Firestrike ran perfectly without a hitch.

Crimson Edition 16.5.1 Hotfix

Release Date: 5/4/2016

AMD-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16.5.1

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.1 Highlights

Support for:

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex™
Performance increased up to 27% versus Radeon™ Software Crimson Edition 16.4.2 on AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X(1)

Known Issues

**A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay".
**HDMI™ Scaling options may not be available in Radeon Settings on some system configurations or some applications may ignore the HDMI™ Scaling options setting.
**The option to enable/disable AMD Crossfire™ technology logo may be missing on some system configurations from the Gaming, Global Options tab in Radeon Settings.
**The Witcher® 3: Wild Hunt inventory and character pages may exhibit flickering in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
**Radeon Settings game manager does not display icons for Origin Games.

A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay".

A permanent workaround is uninstalling Gaming Evolved.

HDMI™ Scaling options may not be available in Radeon Settings on some system configurations or some applications may ignore the HDMI™ Scaling options setting.

Since HDMI is my only connection option, and I need the Scaling option to fit my desktop on my display at native resolution, I think I'll skip the update.

Ugh, I hate AMD drivers so much.

It's a tough choice between nVidia's abhorrent dishonesty or AMD's gross incompetence.

And everything past 16.3.2 (WHQL) versions are clearly marked (Beta), so I expect 99% of people will be skipping them. Can we be a bit less silly and accept that they're EXPECTED to have bugs?

Since I installed the 16.4.2's I've no issues at all in fact every game I've played has been running great

Back