• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Possible Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3 R5 issue.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea, the board is the problem and it is bad. How do I know? It just died.

What happened? One of the first issues I was experiencing was rapid back to back Win10 notifications "surge on USB port - a USB device requires more power than what is available" and the popups wouldn't stop. I have three USB devices which are my keyboard, mouse, and Logitech G13 gamepad which all plug into the ports on the motherboard.

I looked at the cables and they were all plugged in securely, but I lost control of my mouse so I had to do a shutdown through task manager on the keyboard. Once it was off I unplugged the devices and then hooked them back up so this corrected that problem since I didn't get any more of those notifications when I got back into windows.

Then running cpu-z I noticed my PCI-e 3.0 x16 link width was now at x8. I reseated the graphics card twice and when I would boot back into windows it would start off in x16, but to test it out I would game for about 15 minutes and exit to check cpu-z again. Back down to x8. I tried to reseat it a third time, but this didn't do anything and from that point on it was permanently stuck in x8.

Not long after that, about 30 minutes later, the PC completely froze. I couldn't move the mouse cursor and CTRL+ALT+DEL wouldn't bring up task manager so I had to do a hard shutdown pressing and holding the power button. It hasn't booted up since.

I press the power button, the LEDs come on, the cpu and case fans power up, but I can't get a BIOS screen and it won't pass POST. So Gigabyte techs reported within one day of having the board that they didn't find any issue with it, but they held onto it for over two weeks.

They returned to me the same faulty board which is in the same bad state it was initially in when I sent it off for repairs. Scott was right all along - the board was the original culprit for the first problem and in less than one day of having it back from RMA it has now completely died.

I just sent another RMA request to Gigabyte tonight and I may have been a little harsh, but I told them I want a replacement or a refund directly from Gigabyte and repair is not an option this time so they didn't attempt to fix it the last time they had it.

I also told them when I send them back their broken board I refuse to pay for shipping this time since they didn't do anything at all to the board. They just tested it, held onto it for an unusually long time and then returned it to me faulty. This proves though they didn't test it thoroughly or for very long.

So wingman, what did you mean by a bad board with an 8x problem? Which 8x problem are you specifically referring to?

Last edited:
The 8x is what you were having trouble with it not working in 16x Graphics mode is what I was referring to. Sorry to here about the bad news, I'm starting to think Gigabyte is a bad company my GA board is doing fine however it is five years old I think they were better back then with there service. Post back how it goes, maybe you should get a ASRock in the meantime and sell the Gigabyte when you get it back from RMA.

Last edited:
Yea, the board is the problem and it is bad. How do I know? It just died.

What happened? One of the first issues I was experiencing was rapid back to back Win10 notifications "surge on USB port - a USB device requires more power than what is available" and the popups wouldn't stop. I have three USB devices which are my keyboard, mouse, and Logitech G13 gamepad which all plug into the ports on the motherboard.

I looked at the cables and they were all plugged in securely, but I lost control of my mouse so I had to do a shutdown through task manager on the keyboard. Once it was off I unplugged the devices and then hooked them back up so this corrected that problem since I didn't get any more of those notifications when I got back into windows.

Then running cpu-z I noticed my PCI-e 3.0 x16 link width was now at x8. I reseated the graphics card twice and when I would boot back into windows it would start off in x16, but to test it out I would game for about 15 minutes and exit to check cpu-z again. Back down to x8. I tried to reseat it a third time, but this didn't do anything and from that point on it was permanently stuck in x8.

Not long after that, about 30 minutes later, the PC completely froze. I couldn't move the mouse cursor and CTRL+ALT+DEL wouldn't bring up task manager so I had to do a hard shutdown pressing and holding the power button. It hasn't booted up since.

I press the power button, the LEDs come on, the cpu and case fans power up, but I can't get a BIOS screen and it won't pass POST. So Gigabyte techs reported within one day of having the board that they didn't find any issue with it, but they held onto it for over two weeks.

They returned to me the same faulty board which is in the same bad state it was initially in when I sent it off for repairs. Scott was right all along - the board was the original culprit for the first problem and in less than one day of having it back from RMA it has now completely died.

I just sent another RMA request to Gigabyte tonight and I may have been a little harsh, but I told them I want a replacement or a refund directly from Gigabyte and repair is not an option this time so they didn't attempt to fix it the last time they had it.

I also told them when I send them back their broken board I refuse to pay for shipping this time since they didn't do anything at all to the board. They just tested it, held onto it for an unusually long time and then returned it to me faulty. This proves though they didn't test it thoroughly or for very long.

So wingman, what did you mean by a bad board with an 8x problem? Which 8x problem are you specifically referring to?

I expected as much. :(

Neither of the CP member's boards came back working 100% either. They're taking the loss in lieu of more aggravation.

Mine only runs at pcie 2.0... AFAIK the 900 series chipset does not support pcie3.0 without an additional controller. It seems odd to me that Gigabyte would include the additional pcie chip for the UD3 R5 and not the UD5 R5. Yes the GTX670 supports pcie3.0

Edit: also, try measuring with gpuz, and running the rendering test. It may be dropping down the lanes to save power. Click the ? Next to the pcie link info and run the test.

Attachments

• 1462723627712.jpg
    1462723627712.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 208
Just checked, even Gigabyte lists that the pcie links are all pcie 2.0 standard. Sounds like cpuz is reporting funny. Try reading it via gpuz as I recommended.

On a side note: everyone seems to be bashing the Gigabyte boards for the last few weeks. I have had 0 issues with mine, so there are 2 possibilities:

1- I got real lucky and got a good mobo out of a bad design. Seems unlikely to me....

2- there are other issues with people's setups. In this case people are leaning towards power supply.

Don't get me wrong, Gigabyte has had some design issues. The R5 series is solid in my book thus far. It appears to me that Gigabyte has resolved the design issues completely with this release.

Mine only runs at pcie 2.0...also, try measuring with gpuz, and running the rendering test.
I always knew the lane would run at PCI-e 2.0 and, yes, the lane will knock down to save power when in idle, but both cpu-z and gpu-z would report that the PCI-e 3.0 x16 lane was @ 2.0 x8. A few times I would start up the computer and the lane would be 2.0 x16 on bootup, but after gaming for a few minutes it would revert back to x8. At one point in time both programs reported 2.0 x1 link width - this was shortly before the board died.

I wish I could just shrug it off as a loss and get something better, but I'm out of funds for this project and I'm sitting on a dead system. The CPU and PSU were both replaced with retail new in the box products. The RAM and HDDs are also new and haven't exhibited any problems. Asus cleared the GPU and it was working fine when the machine was running.

I know the board is at fault because the fluctuating PCI-e link width and the surge on the USB ports is all controlled by the motherboard.

Neither of the CP member's boards came back working 100% either.
I spent good money on this board and what Gigabyte did is unacceptable. They will make this right one way or the other, I'm going to make sure of it.

On a side note: everyone seems to be bashing the Gigabyte boards for the last few weeks. I have had 0 issues with mine, so there are 2 possibilities:

1- I got real lucky and got a good mobo out of a bad design. Seems unlikely to me....

2- there are other issues with people's setups. In this case people are leaning towards power supply.

Don't get me wrong, Gigabyte has had some design issues. The R5 series is solid in my book thus far. It appears to me that Gigabyte has resolved the design issues completely with this release.

I'm not bashing anything.
It is a UD3. It is Gigabytes entry level line. It is what it is. There are still design issues and always will be because it is an entry level, dead socket board. They will never be addressed.
Of your two scenario's you posted, consider yourself lucky. Your hardware or skills are no better or worse than anybody else's, and I'm being kind with that because the two CP guys are way ahead of you on both counts.

The bashing stuff was more geared towards the general public that have been slamming Gigabyte for the last few weeks than yourself. I have heard RMA horror stories from all brands, on this site. Best recommendation is that you should detail the board with pics, including the serial number before sending it in. Only place I have never had RMA issues has been eVGA for their gpus.

That being said don't relent on their support. Talk to supervisors, tell them what going on and what you have swapped out. Ask for a NIB replacement or a refund for failure to uphold the terms of the warranty. I hope you get this resolved. I understand the paying good money, as I am in the same boat. If my board fails I do not have funds to buy a new one. My comment on the bashing was that most people seem to be dismissing products from gigabyte as terrible, when it is far from the truth.

My apologies if it seemed I was attacking you and your situation. That was not my intent.

My comment on the bashing was that most people seem to be dismissing products from gigabyte as terrible, when it is far from the truth.
This is only the third time I have bought a Gigabyte product and the last ones I owned, another motherboard and gpu, both crapped out in under a year. However, back then I could get the appropriate service I needed to have my products fixed or replaced with little to no hassle since Gigabyte went out of their way to take care of their customers.

Also, back then Gigabyte would not have been did any sh*t like they did now returning a faulty product back to me. I can tell you what they did. They hooked it up, turned it on and saw it boot and said, "It boots! It's functional and no issues found!"

That is probably as far as they took it and they probably didn't even investigate the original issue of why I sent it to them - hint: not being able to boot was not the reason I sent it in to them since it never had a problem booting up...until now.

My apologies if it seemed I was attacking you and your situation. That was not my intent.
It's fine homie, I didn't take it that way. I was simply elaborating the issue a little further for better clarification. You and I are at odds ends though in your defense of Gigabyte though which I think to be undeserving.

Wingman hit the nail on the head - Gigabyte was once a reputable name, but their quality of products and their service have gone downhill in recent years. This is what experience has taught me and I can promise you I will never buy another GB product after this.

I paid $30 for them to hold onto the board for over two weeks only to have it returned even more faulty than what it was when I sent it off. They didn't service it at all. Totally inexcusable on their part.

Just a side note here. AMD boards suffer from everybody but Asus. Most manufacturers give full support to Intel right now. Gigabyte makes some really nice Intel boards, so does Asrock, it's just their AMD boards that suck.
Everybody makes some crap boards now and then. It's no reason to shun one manufacturer over another.
CS is another story. There are not many manufacturers left with good high end CS.

I'm not bashing anything.
It is a UD3. It is Gigabytes entry level line. It is what it is. There are still design issues and always will be because it is an entry level, dead socket board. They will never be addressed.
Of your two scenario's you posted, consider yourself lucky. Your hardware or skills are no better or worse than anybody else's, and I'm being kind with that because the two CP guys are way ahead of you on both counts.

I wasn't saying that I was a god among men at putting a round peg into a square hole, merely that the R5-series does not have many issues on them (compared to previous lines from gigabyte). I have personally scoured forums looking for reviews/issues of these boards, before buying mine. No more than the sabertooth or other decent boards from other brands. I was questioning the quality of the other components used. The OP has basically replaced everything except the mobo. The PSU was RMA'd. What is the likely hood of a PSU that is not working right doing damage to a mobo? It's not like it supplies power to the motherboard or something....

I don't know about you Mr. Scott, I know there are plenty of Asus and other manufacturers' RMA horror stories on this forums.

But what do I know. I'm just another dumb-*** with a tiny post count, and fell off a turnip truck a few weeks ago.

You're taking it way out of context man. It wasn't meant for you to get butt hurt over.

You're taking it way out of context man. It wasn't meant for you to get butt hurt over.
I'm not butthurt, I was merely agreeing with you Mr. Scott. I am not knowledgeable on this at all and should stop posting. I voiced my uninformed opinion, and now I am done. Now of you don't mind, I'll go enjoy my golden egg of a Gigabyte board(because it functions) and play a few more rounds of overwatch...

The OP has basically replaced everything except the mobo. The PSU was RMA'd.
Along with the CPU and the liquid cooler. The mobo was RMA'd, but GB screwed me.

I'll go enjoy my golden egg of a Gigabyte board(because it functions) and play a few more rounds of overwatch...
Gee, rub it in my face you have a working GB board why don't you :sly:

I'm kidding dude. I'm just being cynical.

Hey Scott, what do you think about this board as an alternative? It's an Asus, has all the specs I want and I like the price. I just don't know much about M5A97 boards.

Edit: Here's a real kick in the pants...I can't get an open box sabertooth for less money than what I spent on the UD3.

Last edited:
Eh.......8350 will kill it. It'll just take longer.
If you're gonna go cheap, at least get some sinks on the mosfets.

Along with the CPU and the liquid cooler. The mobo was RMA'd, but GB screwed me.

Gee, rub it in my face you have a working GB board why don't you :sly:

I'm kidding dude. I'm just being cynical.

It wasn't intended that way Blackheart. I'd avoid the LE models. They are quite weak in the VRMs. But I'd wait for Mr. Scott to tell you that before you buy. I had the older version of the M5A97 non-LE board. They are solid, but not the best overclocker. LLC settings are basically on/off/auto. The LE version is pretty watered down from the non-LE version. Generally the minimum recommended for an 8-core is atleast an M5A99X, as it has a 6+2 VRM section.

I agree. The only 970 board that I'd consider is the 970 Pro Gaming Aura.

I agree. The only 970 board that I'd consider is the 970 Pro Gaming Aura.

Ahh forgot about that guy. They released that a few months ago right? If Asus still sold the M5A97-EVO that would probably be the best cheapest option, but Asus killed that product off many moons ago. It was a 6+2 VRM version of the M5A97. I'm not sure where the pricing for the aura sits. Your other option might be check some other classified forums for a used saberkitty. I haven't seen one pop up here for many many months.

Back