• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Possible Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3 R5 issue.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have spoken to AMD techs about my issue and they told me to send the CPU in for a replacement. Their suggestion not mine lol :D. They even emailed me a prepaid fedex label so AMD wants it back pretty bad.

I guess it's an ultimate safeguard because when I get all these parts back the issue should be resolved.

I hear ya wingman and I have already sent a support request to the PSU manufacturer. I have received an automated acknowledgment from them so now I'm just waiting on them to process it and give me a green light.

So your going to wait till you can rule out the PSU to send the cpu in? What I don't understand is why does AMD want a bad cpu? :screwy:

Hopefully you are able to figure out which one was the culprit...

Most likely the PSU since the motherboard was cleared. Might have been the CPU, but it doesn't seem likely it would affect the rails or leaving the power button LED lit and stuck.

Yea, like shrimp and wingman, I'm banking on the PSU now.

I am not sure what the cause is... but I had a bad CPU and power on the board. The debug typically reads 00. ;)

I would test the new PSU with the old CPU and returned board. If that works, clearly its the PSU. ;)

You also said the rails were good several posts up... so not sure what you mean by 'affect the rails' when they were not affected in the first place?

The chances of the CPU affecting the rails at all just seemed unlikely was the only point I was making :).

Still AMD wanted it back regardless so I figured why not, it's pretty much like starting over.

This GB board is definition of issue ... btw I just got new basketball. I guess it won't help much :p
But really I wonder what is causing issues in this case as you are generally replacing half of the PC ;)

I have gotten all of my parts back except for the new PSU and the board.

For a board which doesn't have any problems Gigabyte is taking a long time to send it back to me. Makes me think they did find an issue with it but haven't updated the case details.

I have gotten all of my parts back except for the new PSU and the board.

For a board which doesn't have any problems Gigabyte is taking a long time to send it back to me. Makes me think they did find an issue with it but haven't updated the case details.

Couple CP members had to RMA their Rev. 5 boards also. 1 was DOA. That RMA took 7 weeks. They actually repaired the board, not replace.
The other has a VRM temp issue. That board just left for RMA.

Gigabyte has had it since April 15th and they almost immediately reported no problems found. Here we are at the end of the month and they still have it which begs the question if they couldn't find any issues with it, why do they still have it? There has to be a problem with it for them to still have it.

My PSU was scheduled to arrive at the manufacturer today, that unit is being replaced. I have lots of time to kill.

I just got a shipping notice on the board. They say it's cleared so now it's just a matter of a new PSU and I should be good.

So I got all my parts back today and put everything together. The computer has been working fine and I have let it run for almost three hours now, so far it hasn't cut off or power down. What was responsible? Hard to tell, but it's looking like the PSU.

The only thing which is bugging me is after a period of time the display will go into a sleep mode and turn itself off despite the fact I have turned off all the power saving features in Win10's power management making sure turn off the display and put the computer to sleep are both set to never. I have gone into the advanced power options turning off hybrid sleep and any other sleep function in there and to top it all off I ran an elevated command prompt doing the powercfg -h off.

Despite all this the display still goes into sleep after about 20 minutes. What am I missing?

Nope. I hit the menu button on the display and cycled through all the options to be sure, but there isn't a sleep function.

I've also had the issue of the PCI-e 3.0 x16 lane is now stuck on x8. I've reseated the gpu three times now and when I boot into windows it will be running x16 in cpu-z so I'll play 5-15 min of a game. Exit the game and check again to find it's now x8. I reseated the card one last time and that didn't do anything, still stuck in x8.

Back