• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GFX card for GTA5 4k / VR / Cuda

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Graphicism

Hey all,

It's been a while since I upgraded and I don't keep up with tech like I used too. I don't play a whole lot of games so it's hard to justify the very best graphics card, however I do want to get into 4K and VR and know how demanding that is. Also I'm loving how GTA5 looks on my current setup, however on medium graphics it does crash after a short while.

My specs are:
i7 2600k / 16GB DDR3 / GTX 460 v2 1GB

Ideally I don't want to replace the cpu, mobo or ram and just get a better graphics card with more memory. I also do a lot of photo and video editing and the Cuda cores really help, more so than the CPU!

Budget around $200?

Thanks!

Wait... $200 budget for running GTA V @ 4K and VR? Bub, that budget will have to increase big time...

For GTAV alone a single, highly factory overclocked 980Ti would do 43FPS ... but many other games, a single card isn't nearly enough.

VR is also pretty stressful on your PC. A $200 card won't do well there either.

CPU/mobo/ram are fine. :)

I know its hard to justify it, but if you goals are 4K and VR, a $200 GPU won't cut it, period.

Wait... $200 budget for running GTA V @ 4K and VR?

Like I said I'm out of touch, haha! So we're not there yet, what would $200-$250 (gfx card sweet spot) get me? How about GTA5 at 1200p (current monitor) on Ultra settings? I've been using TrinusVR with GTA and it's awesome but I only get about 3 fps.

Maybe my question should be what's the best graphics card available for my budget and what should I expect?

Cheers for your reply!

Dan,

Nothing at the $250 level will play 4K very well. The cheapest thing out that will run 4K is the 390X. Its over $400

1200p? You talking 1600x1200? Any midrange card should be solid there. A GtX 960 is about it on the NVIDIA and CUDA side, but there is no way it can handle 4K or VR very well.

For what it's worth, the bare minimum requirements for VR for the Oculus/Vive start at around the R9 290/x and the GTX 970.

Ahh, 1900x1200, gotcha.. Well, that is a few more pixels than 1080p, so it wont make a huge difference.

Not many people are going 4K, honestly. Its pretty cost prohibitive for most. Not only do you need to drop a few hundred+ for a good monitor, in most cases, you need more than a single high end card to play games on it. Look at the link I provided. That is a $650+ GPU, fastest NVIDIA has to offer, and I don't think one title is over 60 FPS and many are half that.

For what it's worth, the bare minimum requirements for VR for the Oculus/Vive start at around the R9 290/x and the GTX 970.

That's good to know, in that case I suppose I should at least get the GTX 970.

Ahh, 1900x1200, gotcha.. Well, that is a few more pixels than 1080p, so it wont make a huge difference.

Not many people are going 4K, honestly. Its pretty cost prohibitive for most. Not only do you need to drop a few hundred+ for a good monitor, in most cases, you need more than a single high end card to play games on it. Look at the link I provided. That is a $650+ GPU, fastest NVIDIA has to offer, and I don't think one title is over 60 FPS and many are half that.

Perhaps not, I just see mention of people buying 4K over at slickdeals every time one goes on sale... though that isn't to say they don't know what they're getting themselves in for!

I checked out the link thank you and while I'm not ready to spend $650+ perhaps I could justify half for the GTX 970 ... 23.3FPS sounds 'okay' lol.

$300 AR for this one -- http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GAMING-GT...e=UTF8&qid=1460052813&sr=1-2&keywords=gtx+970

To each their own on 23 FPS... depends on the kind of game, but, that is below the magical '30 FPS' that most deem 'playable'.

Oh boy these forums do get me in trouble ... about 10 years ago I asked on this forum for headphone recommendations for under $100 and I was sent over to Head-Fi ... thousands of dollars later I still haven't learned my lesson.

I'm going to consider the 970 the bare minimum and decide if I buy it now or wait for something better to drop in price.

Thank you both for you help!

You're very welcome, I look forward to seeing the direction you end up going. Depending on the time in which you plan to buy, there are rumors that nVidia will begin to reveal and release their Pascal GPUs next month. Granted, they won't be the super-high-end ones, but I imagine they will be focusing a lot on VR and higher resolution capability even on their mid-range release parts.

Back