• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

using single or dual channel sticks to make triple channel sticks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrjayviper

Registered
triple channel RAM is not available from shops anymore so I was thinking if I can buy 3x 8GB (2x4GB) to convert to 2x 12Gb (3x4GB). or can I even use 3x single sticks (1x4GB)?

This is assuming that all sticks are from the same maker, same model (example:
CMV4GX3M1A1333C9) and same revision/version (example: 9.1). I got the model and version numbers from the Corsair website.

Thanks for the help :)

I know what the manufactures say on using 2 separate dual channel memory kits. The memory kits are put together as the memory sticks are guarantied to work together. We can not guaranty that 2 separate kits will work together in Dual, Tri, or Quad channel.

I have (1) set of Tri channel memory, the Dominator GT's (DDR3 2000 cl8) to go with a 1366 board I have ordered. From reading about the 1366's motherboards, the IMC is limited to DDR3 1333. Any speed higher is obtained by overclocking. I should not have to look for Tri channel memory as the Corsairs should be able to handle this. Correct????

Thanks

MM

Back