• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.65 exceeds maximum cpu voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

So, I went and purchased and pieced together the rest of the computer for my friend. Was going to get 8gb of 2133 ram but they didn't have any for they price I saw it at. I did find 8gb of 2400 ram and according to the mobo that speed is fine on that board. Now I get home and it says something about ram exceeding the voltage for this cpu (i3-4170). This is what pcpartpicker says..
The EVGA SSC 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.
So, I have it running at 2400 using xmp. Will this damage the cpu/mobo/ram? The only other option is 1600 and I don't want it running that slow. Should I return the ram and get a different set or will I be fine running it like this?

you'll be fine, jdec standards say it must be able to run at a much higher voltage than that.

Back