• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netbalancer Alternative

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

My girlfriend's internet is not so great. Often during games of CS:GO, her ping will go up to 400ms+, then back down. We used Netbalancer which seems to work great, but apparently we can only set priorities to 3 applications on the free version. Without knowing this, we did it to more than 3 and a "trial period" countdown started. We tried reinstalling, but It seems to track what machine it is on. Anyway. That leaves us with needing an alternative to prioritize internet traffic by application. (Netbalancer is $50 for pro)

Have you considered a hardware/software router/firewall that includes the ability to make your own QOS rules?

I've been using Sophos UTM 9 (formerly Astaro) for years and the QOS on it is the best I've used by far, when it comes to taming bandwidth hungry applications or PCs on my network.

If you have the hardware already laying around, it can be as cheap as you make it. Though if you have to buy a new PC or router just for QOS, then the $50 Netbalancer would be cheaper (a good quality router that has a good flexible, configurable QOS is usually $200+).

Back