• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote Access

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berne

Hi,

Is it possible to access my pc if Im on holiday? If so what are the conditions that need to be in place in order for this to work?

If the pc is OFF...but plugged into the AC its impossible to access the pc right?

I realise most cellphones carry 80% of our data and we are thankful for same , but I sometimes wonder if PC access is possible?

Thanks,

Berne

I use Teamviewer. Easy to use. Just jot down your ID and the password you set or the one it gives you. (I set my own so I always remember it)
Then just install Teamviewer on your Android phone or another Windows PC or laptop and punch in your ID and then the password and you're set.

And yes, this only work if the PC is ON. IIRC there are special power bars to turn on a PC remotely, but they are not cheap and probably not worth the hassle.

Hi.

Lets say my PC is encrypted and can only pass posting with a Masterpassword. If I leave the pc ON....with the enter password ............. window status active ....Could I then access the PC remotely from my phone to enter the password using TEAMVIWER as advised above?

Berne

Team viewer can be setup to be active prior to windows login if that's what you are looking for so you can log out of windows and leave the pc on and login when you need to access it..

Hi.

Lets say my PC is encrypted and can only pass posting with a Masterpassword. If I leave the pc ON....with the enter password ............. window status active ....Could I then access the PC remotely from my phone to enter the password using TEAMVIWER as advised above?

Berne
Like a boot password? In that case, no unfortunately.
Team viewer can be setup to be active prior to windows login if that's what you are looking for so you can log out of windows and leave the pc on and login when you need to access it..
Indeed if this is what the OP wants then absolutely!
But if he wants a way to enter a BIOS booting password then no since there is no OS loaded, just the BIOS asking for a password to boot the OS.

Another option if you use Chrome browser is the Chrome remote desktop. This still wouldn't allow log on from the bios but it is a nice alternative to team viewer.

Hi,

OK pc is encrypted using the old but still true TRUCRYPT....so am I right in saying that I can tweak Teamviewer from my Android to boot the PC with my TC password which will then boot the pc up to desktop and then enter my W7PRO password, all as long as the pc is mains connected and the TC password enter screen password is active?

When pc biz has concluded I assume I can then also from my android shut down the pc? OR if I try that remotely will I have shut the pc down completely, wihout being again able to reach the TC Mosterlogin screen?

Berne

Hi,

OK pc is encrypted using the old but still true TRUCRYPT....so am I right in saying that I can tweak Teamviewer from my Android to boot the PC with my TC password which will then boot the pc up to desktop and then enter my W7PRO password, all as long as the pc is mains connected and the TC password enter screen password is active?

Berne

No. That is not possible.

TC loads BEFORE Windows which means Teamviewer is not running yet and therefore can't let you enter your TC password. :(

Last edited:
you would need something like this http://www.amazon.com/Dominion-101-Single-Server-Over/dp/B0013FINNC and set the bios (if its capable) to "wake on lan" along with any WOL router settings that may need to be enabled

Hefty price tag...

Also does that device only power on the pc? He still needs a way enter his boot password since there is no way to enter it remotely before the OS loads. The only way to enter said password that I know of is by physically entering it.

I suppose the device could power on the pc, but that's what the WOL bit is about. The device is an ip based KVM. basically, from WAN you try to hit your pc, your router sends magic packet, PC boots and from there the ip KVM is how you interact. I guess you really don't need to do WOL.... this is all me shooting from the hip with zero research. But the whole point of that kvm is to give bios level access remotely, im jjust not sure you can us it to power on the PC. would need to have wake on key set in bios at the very least

I suppose the device could power on the pc, but that's what the WOL bit is about. The device is an ip based KVM. basically, from WAN you try to hit your pc, your router sends magic packet, PC boots and from there the ip KVM is how you interact. I guess you really don't need to do WOL.... this is all me shooting from the hip with zero research. But the whole point of that kvm is to give bios level access remotely, im jjust not sure you can us it to power on the PC. would need to have wake on key set in bios at the very least

I will be honest, i have never heard of KVM... How does it gives a remote PC BIOS level access? Wouldn't one need a compatible BIOS? How does this device send keystrokes and such to the BIOS? I need to research it. Sounds really interesting if it can do this...

Either way for $400 it's hard to justify for home use though unfortunately. :(

kvm's are usually used so you can have one keyboard, mouse and monitor and use them with multiple PC's. I use one to switch between servers and my desktop. The one i linked to is IP based, it acts as a type of server. You run ethernet into it from your network. So, in this scenario, youd connect the kvm to ethernet and run its KB, mouse and vga cables to the encrypted pc. you now have a remote link through ethernet. its as iff youre sitting in front of the PC. no bios settings or yatta yatta needed. remote into the KVM and fire up the PC with a keyboard "power On", now you can see it boot and its like you were physically there.

it is expensive, but i bet you can roll your own with a old laptop and some hot 'nix action

kvm's are usually used so you can have one keyboard, mouse and monitor and use them with multiple PC's. I use one to switch between servers and my desktop. The one i linked to is IP based, it acts as a type of server. You run ethernet into it from your network. So, in this scenario, youd connect the kvm to ethernet and run its KB, mouse and vga cables to the encrypted pc. you now have a remote link through ethernet. its as iff youre sitting in front of the PC. no bios settings or yatta yatta needed. remote into the KVM and fire up the PC with a keyboard "power On", now you can see it boot and its like you were physically there. it is expensive, but i bet you can roll your own with a old laptop and some hot 'nix action
That's what I was thinking. There must be another way to build a KVM machine cheaper. Thanks for the info as well!

I will be honest, i have never heard of KVM... How does it gives a remote PC BIOS level access? Wouldn't one need a compatible BIOS? How does this device send keystrokes and such to the BIOS? I need to research it. Sounds really interesting if it can do this...

Either way for $400 it's hard to justify for home use though unfortunately. :(

If your BIOS has an option to redirect pre-bootloader output to serial console, Supermicro sells a PCI-E IPMI card. Use that to power it on provide the passphrase to access your encrypted drive, then Remote Desktop or whatever once it is booted.

Back