• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cougar CF-V12HP Amp Rating? Push-Pull for h60 1Amp header-Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

42YottabyteSim

Registered
Hi,

First time PC builder here.

I'm considering a push/pull config on an Corsair H60 Water Cooler using two Cougar 120mm CF-V12HP fans. But I can't find the Amp rating for these type of fans anywhere on the internet.

Here is my concern. I called my mobo manufactorer, and they said the fan header limit is 1Amp. He also said I should NOT split from the mobo headers.

But I don't know how else to make the push/pull config work if I can't split. The mobo has these fan headers available: CPU_Fan, CPU_Opt, and 3 regular fan headers.

If I plug my H60 radiator into CPU_Fan, I can only plug 1 more fan into CPU_Opt, otherwise my push/pull fans will each have their own header and I think thats bad, right? I mean I'm not sure you can plug a push in one header and a pull in the other header, and they will still be properly matched, right?

Can anyone here confirm the Amp rating of those particular cougars?

My only other option would be plug those cougars into the PSU to run full blast 24/7, but don't know if that will bother me at night while sleeping.

Any advice?

You're fine as far as current goes, looks like they pull ~1/3 Amp each. If you go to their product page on Newegg and zoom in on the photo of the back label you can see the current rating.

Hey thanks, nice find.

What do you think will happen with the BIOS with splitting two fans to one header.

My mobo tech support said there would be issues with the bios not being able to correctly know the RPM (since two fans are split), but he couldn't elaborate any further.

My only concern is will it be able to cool the CPU properly. I know both fans will be strong enough to do it, but will the BIOS prevent them from running properly?

mobo is Gigabytes GA-Z170X-Gaming 3.

What you need is a "PWM slitter" -- a device that takes a PWM feed from the motherboard and splits the feed to 2 of more PWM fans. Newegg sold double fan PWM splitters. Other makes will sell you splitters for several more fans. The multiple fans get their 12v power directly from your PSU. The motherboard's amp limit is irrelevant. Only one of the fans will send its RPM signal back to the mb.

There. That's the way to use two or more PWM fans on a single PWM header.

Back