• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm Stumped. Media Center "encountered a problem and needs to close"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

After 3 blue screens yesterday (while I was moving , so I didn't get to witness them) now Media Center crashes right after I open it. It's the only software that works with my TV tuner (in sig) and has a huge collection of TV shows I recorded. I tried reinstalling Crimson drivers , installing older Catalyst drivers , reinstalled my tuner card drivers , cleared CMOS , tried running it as Administrator , ran Disk Check , ran SFC , and used all the profanity I know. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Media Center. The only thing I can find in Event Viewer that may be related is this
amdacpusrsvc
amdacpusrsvc:IOCTL_ACPKSD_KSD_TO_USR_SVC_SET_FB_APERTURES:FAILED

I'm at a loss. And I can't find my W7 DVD , so I'm downloading an ISO but that will take over 12 hours with my currently lousy internet connection. It sucks to be me. Any ideas from the OC community? I'm usually pretty handy with software problems , but I'm getting nothing from Google or my brain on this. :-/

Haven't experienced that error (surprising because I'm pretty excellent at getting error conditions). Guessing you never made an image of that setup or you would've already tried a restore :/

Have me kinda stumped. Have you tried something like xmbc just to see if it works?

I did try System Restore and the Previous Version in the properties tab. My Seagate (backup) drive failed recently and I stupidly haven't replaced it yet. Budget constraints and all that. Since all I use MC for is the tuner card , I wonder if it's failing. Device Manager says it's OK , but....

Does it happen at stock speeds all around?

I've been hanging around OC for 4 years and didn't think to dial back the CPU. :facepalm: I'll give it a try.

Nope. No difference. The rest of the system is running great and feels "snappy". It occurs to me that I should try the DVI to a monitor as the only recent change is using HDMI to a TV , but everything else works fine through the TV , and I don't want to reboot until my W7 ISO is downloaded. If nothing else comes up I'll try that after the download.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried DVI to my old monitor , and VGA and DVI from onboard graphics. Nada. I'm going to try copying the whole MC folder then deleting it and replacing it with MC from an install disc. Then I'll try to copy my recordings to the new folder. Last ditch effort before reinstalling the whole OS. I was going to do a reinstall when I got a SSD , so it may have to wait. newegg has some good deals on SSDs. 256 GB should be more than enough for W7 and games on the SSD. I'll keep the 2 TB HDD for storing videos , music , etc.. I'm out of ideas , otherwise. I just hope I don't find out it's my tuner card. If that's gone , I may as well get W 10. ROFLMAO! Just kidding.

The only consistent event viewer data is this:
- System

- Provider

[ Name] amdacpusrsvc

- EventID 0

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2016-04-13T18:22:55.000000000Z

EventRecordID 82258

Channel Application

Computer Lee-PC

Security

- EventData

amdacpusrsvc
acpusrsvc: GfxMemServiceInitialize: Target FB Allocation : FAILED

It shows up with old CCC drivers and new Radeon drivers. Any ideas?

Sorry about the double posts. Really bad internet connection ATM and it seems to do that. Fixed! (for now). :thup:

Last edited:
after a bit of digging, that amdacpusrsvc error is related to AMD True Audio.

you mentioned you switched from an DVI connection to HDMI. Im wondering if maybe you need to adjust your sound settings?

Edit:

Dug a bit further, is this service listed in task manager? Have you tried stopping it? I wouldn't normally recommend something like this, but you're already getting BSODs, so it cant hurt to see if stopping it helps the situation.

Open an Elevated Command Prompt

net stop amdacpusrsvc

Let me know what you find...

-TC

Last edited:
I'll give it a shot. My audio seems to work fine , but that particular driver is a HDMI audio driver and I'm not using HDMI audio. That could be the glitch! I'll post my results.

Nope. MC still crashes.

You'll have to forgive me as I am a Nvidia guy.... but

Is AMD True Audio something you can remove during the installation of your video driver?

Maybe do a clean wipe of your video drivers....(I used to use DDU back in the day, not sure if its still relevant) and reinstall them and make sure to uncheck the True Audio component.

Yeah , all AMD drivers can be cleared out. I haven't tried the chipset drivers because everything else works fine. One stupid program and I haven't found a fix for it. When I figure out what to do with 400 GB of TV shows I'll reinstall the OS. It's been a few years , so I guess it's due. And it will be an opportunity to load W7 and all the updates to date and make a clean disc for future use. SSDs are getting cheap(er) , so I can load the OS and games on one and keep the 2 TB HDD for storage and image files. I have to blame myself for not doing something about backups when the Seagate died. As much as I'd like to shake my fist at M$ , this is on me. LOL

I used to reinstall my OS more often than I changed socks. Fixes everything. Either that, or new hardware :)

You don't have any sort of imaging software so that you could image your current the setup and see if a fresh install will fix it for ya? With all that you have/will try, reinstall will become the only option at some point I think. Make sure you image your current set up beforehand just in case

Well , clean install fixed Media Center. Then a power surge in the middle of 204 updates broke Windows Update. It pretends to download updates but doesn't download them. After trying every fix I could find on MS's site I'm looking at doing it yet again. I'm starting to understand how Apple has customers. :bang head

I would do another clean install after a diskpart /clean and make sure to only install about 20 updates at a time. I've had installs break from trying to get them all at once before. And 19-23 seems to be the magic number for getting updates and still being sane at the end. Just my. 02 and good luck

I keep my updates in small groups , trying not to overwhelm Window's delicate sensibilities. LOL It was only a 8 package download , but it was halfway through the 204 updates. I got it fixed , but I lost music and I don't know what all at this point. The 2 second power failure screwed things up royally. I'll be getting a UPS as soon as I can , but I'm so frustrated ATM I'm ready to buy a smart phone and restrict my gaming to Candy Crush. AAAARRRRRRGGGGHH!

Back