• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo and Ram...Help me choose!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

superVARIO

Registered
I've just acquired a 6600k :D and need help selecting a motherboard and some ram to go with it. From what I understand most Z170 boards are very similar. Please suggest some quality boards under $200. I would like to overclock to 4.5 at least if my chip permits. The MSI M5/7 and the Asus Z170 A from what I've explored so far appear like solid choices but nothing beats practical experience with a board. MATX boards are welcome too as I haven't decided to go small or not. For the record I plan to use most of my parts from my signature with the exception of the case, maybe cooler and the addition of a 1TB SSD. The case will be replaced with the Define S or something similar. Thanks in advance. :salute:

The ASRock Z170 Extreme4 LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB is a well liked by members here. The 4.5GHz is reached by most of the i5 6600k any board will do that mild of a overclock, all boards have to clock to 4.2GHz for the i7 6700k.

I've just acquired a 6600k :D and need help selecting a motherboard and some ram to go with it. From what I understand most Z170 boards are very similar. Please suggest some quality boards under $200. I would like to overclock to 4.5 at least if my chip permits. The MSI M5/7 and the Asus Z170 A from what I've explored so far appear like solid choices but nothing beats practical experience with a board. MATX boards are welcome too as I haven't decided to go small or not. For the record I plan to use most of my parts from my signature with the exception of the case, maybe cooler and the addition of a 1TB SSD. The case will be replaced with the Define S or something similar. Thanks in advance. :salute:

I asked some of the same questions and received some good advice when I just upgraded so check my signature. You'll need new DDR4 RAM memory. It's the same board Wingman mentioned and it's a nice mid-range board.

Ok so most likely going to be the AsRock extreme 4 ($119 after rebate) and G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 ($64 after promo code). It's kinda funny to me that I'll be going from the 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ to the z170 variant. I'm still curious about the microATX version. Anybody have experience with it?

MicroATX versions are just as good, they just don't have all the PCI-E slots that the ATX version do.

That would be it just the USB 3.1, also you still have the 3 year warranty. Are you going to overclock?

Last edited:
On the ASRock Z170M Pro4S LGA I read some reviews that said there is no v core voltage control. Extreme 4 micro ATX should have all the options to support overclocking. I sent a E-mail to ASRock to find out, they should reply tomorrow.

ASRock sent me a E mail reply and both boards ASRock Z170M Pro4S LGA, Z170 Extreme 4 micro ATX are capable of voltage settings and multiplier to overclock. You should have no problem with those boards to overclock to 4.5GHz.

It appears the Z170M Extreme4 has a 6 power phase design vs the full size with a 10 power phase design. Perhaps the full size is the way to go after all. Ah first world problems.

The AsRock Z170-Pro4 is a solid board. I own one and it has all the features you might need all at a right price including 10-phase power.

It appears the Z170M Extreme4 has a 6 power phase design vs the full size with a 10 power phase design. Perhaps the full size is the way to go after all. Ah first world problems.
The six phase is fine for 4.5GHz that is just a little over OEM 4.2GHz i7 6700k it is made to run with. Asrock said the v core voltage is limited to +240mV that is plenty. If your are going over 4.5GHz then I would consider the 10 phase.

Back