• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G4 or S5 where to buy cheapest for T-mobile

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinky33

So I think I have it narrowed down to these two options. Leaning towered the G4 at the moment. Money is not a problem so I might go with payment plan through T-mobile. I use T-mobile through my dads company so I will not be changing providers. would like just to save the most money so if I can find it cheaper and pay for it all up front I will.

G4 is $350 at T-mobile new

S5 is $300 certified pre owned.

Will consider other phones if anyone wants to recommend one.

thanks.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g4-6901.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php

Between those two I'd probably go with the G4, however if you are into messing with Android at all I'd recommend the Nexus 5X. You can get the 32G version at Best Buy for $350: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-goog...rbon/4736100.p?id=1219810395468&skuId=4736100 .

Alternatively, you can get it for $200 if you sign on with Google's own Project Fi: https://fi.google.com/about/phones/

Both the G4 and S5 have some development, but it won't be as robust (or as easy to deal with) as the 5X. Plus the 5X is a darn good phone.

If that's not an option, I'd go with the G4 probably, though my wife has an S5 and I do like the feel of its size in my hands better than my G3, FWIW. I have average 6" man sized hands.

As hokie alluded to, there are more than just the prototypical mainstream offerings available now.

i am currently running an LG G4, and the battery life SUCKS. I sincerely regret it. The phone is extremely powerful, but I can literally chew through the battery from 100 to 0 in an hour or so simply watching youtube videos. I use qualcomm snapdragon utility that manages the battery, and it did help quite a bit, but its still not nearly what I would like to run.

My wife is running the asus zenfone 2 laser. I didn't get one because the 720p screen kinda made me go "meh..."... BUT, in a side by side comparison, I opened two of the same 1080p pictures on both phones, and unless you zoom in a ridiculous amount there is no visceral difference between the two. The G4 has SLIGHTLY better colors I guess? Performance differences seemed negligible as well. Her battery lasts for days... I would be remiss if I didnt recommend this phone.

16gb version (expandable storage mind you!) is 199, open box (32gb too) for 160 on new egg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=asus_zenfone_2_laser-_-75-220-030-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=asus_zenfone_2_laser-_-75-220-031R-_-Product

Owned both phones since Feb. No issues with either (minus the battery life on the G4).

Between those two I'd probably go with the G4, however if you are into messing with Android at all I'd recommend the Nexus 5X. You can get the 32G version at Best Buy for $350: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-goog...rbon/4736100.p?id=1219810395468&skuId=4736100 .

Alternatively, you can get it for $200 if you sign on with Google's own Project Fi: https://fi.google.com/about/phones/

Both the G4 and S5 have some development, but it won't be as robust (or as easy to deal with) as the 5X. Plus the 5X is a darn good phone.

If that's not an option, I'd go with the G4 probably, though my wife has an S5 and I do like the feel of its size in my hands better than my G3, FWIW. I have average 6" man sized hands.

My friend also recommended a Nexus, but external micro sd is a must. From what I have read none of the google phones (nexus line up) have micro sd slot.

As hokie alluded to, there are more than just the prototypical mainstream offerings available now.

i am currently running an LG G4, and the battery life SUCKS. I sincerely regret it. The phone is extremely powerful, but I can literally chew through the battery from 100 to 0 in an hour or so simply watching youtube videos. I use qualcomm snapdragon utility that manages the battery, and it did help quite a bit, but its still not nearly what I would like to run.

My wife is running the asus zenfone 2 laser. I didn't get one because the 720p screen kinda made me go "meh..."... BUT, in a side by side comparison, I opened two of the same 1080p pictures on both phones, and unless you zoom in a ridiculous amount there is no visceral difference between the two. The G4 has SLIGHTLY better colors I guess? Performance differences seemed negligible as well. Her battery lasts for days... I would be remiss if I didnt recommend this phone.

16gb version (expandable storage mind you!) is 199, open box (32gb too) for 160 on new egg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=asus_zenfone_2_laser-_-75-220-030-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=asus_zenfone_2_laser-_-75-220-031R-_-Product

Owned both phones since Feb. No issues with either (minus the battery life on the G4).

zen is soundling like a winner at the moment. Will look into it.

So needing micro sd slot
nice camera
screen res is not to important. would rather have a good quality screen over high res.
always liking good battery life
Can run split screen and multi task without slowing down to much. I don't game, but I will be browsing multiple browser windows, youtube, maybe netflix and what not in the background. So if the zen is up to the task.......

Thank you guys for the info. Going to watch some youtube videos on zen.

ok watched newegg video why would someone get g4 over zenfone 2 laser? slower processor?

ok watched newegg video why would someone get g4 over zenfone 2 laser? slower processor?

Haha, mistakes were certainly made. I got a refurb G4 for 184$, so not really regretting the purchase. I expected the better screen to be a "Game changer", but its really not lol. I would gladly trade in the G4 for a zenfone 2 laser, for the simple fact of the amazing battery life...

BTW, wife went from an S5 to the ZF2L, she likes the zenfone more. But her uses are her own, YMMV.

edit: FWIW, her S5 has a cracked screen (not too horrible), but the performance degredation was horrendous. I even did a complete factory reset, but the phone just did not perform as when we got it. VERY sluggish. Went to replace it via insurance, and the deductible was more expensive than the new phone haha. So yeah, screw that.

So some zenphones have hot-spot and some don't. I can't seem to find a reason other than the 4GB RAM version has it. I am still researching this asus/zenphone idea. What about updates......Like how the nexus gets updates quicker than samsung galaxy because google makes nexus/android. Sorry if this is not correct as I am no cell phone expert.

Now that I have looked deeper into what cell phone offering are out there I have a new list of standards.

32GB min of on board storage
128 micro sd min of additional storage
hotspot
can run split screen and not bog down. (I don't game, but will probably stream video and txt,email, brows the internet)

I am now back at G4, but you have me concerned about battery.

searching more asus options.

so here is what I think to be the nicer asus with 4GB of RAM, but only lets you do 64GB of micro sd???? but has hotspot.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ASUS-Ze...d2d086b4f&rpp_cat_id=56f5bca2e4b06344da61550d

Is there an asus that has 3-4GB of RAM 32 or more internal storage, 128GB or more of micro SD optoin and hot spot. AND has better battery life then G4?

Last edited:
I would say it depends on your uses. If you need a big ole powerful beast, i would recommend the note 5 over any of them. My note 3 was the best phone I've ever owned, but it got old lol.

Updates? Im not too finnicky with updates tbh, I cant tell you. I can say, my wife and I both got an android update at the same time a few weeks ago (same day at least). Do you really need that much storage though?

Need,no. Want, very much. Would like to store music I own.

And computer files. The 2TB option on G4 is over the top. And that is a nice thought.

128GB would suffice though. Just need to find an Asus that has those min specs.

bob4933 Can you please check your wifes phone and see if you can enable hotspot on it. I am getting mixed answers via googling. If it can run hot spot I just have to find a 32GB model and a 128GB micro SD card and I am sold if I can find it for @200-250

Thank you very much bob4933 I ordered the exact phone you linked me to from the start. I don't feel the g5 was worth another $150. To bad I waited for the free power pack offer :(

Last edited:
bob4933 Can you please check your wifes phone and see if you can enable hotspot on it. I am getting mixed answers via googling. If it can run hot spot I just have to find a 32GB model and a 128GB micro SD card and I am sold if I can find it for @200-250

Thank you very much bob4933 I ordered the exact phone you linked me to from the start. I don't feel the g5 was worth another $150. To bad I waited for the free power pack offer :(

Yup. She can, i actually yelled at her yesterday because she had it on at the mall lol.

ZenFone seems to be a very bad phone so far.
Pics are worse than iphone 4s
It takes about 5 times longer to take a photo than 4s and the pics are blurry

With the 4s I could take photos as fast as I could press the button and now it takes 2-3 seconds and again the photos are crap

Screen is not as bright as my 4 year old phone and near impossible to view in sun. When I do want to turn down brightness I don't even notice a difference between highest setting and lowest. So it is way to bright in the dark.

Screen not as sensitive as 4s and I find myself having to press harder

Speaker is crap. Not as loud as 4s and distorted. Maybe it needs to break in?

It seems slow.

Id return it then. We've experienced none of those issues (minus the speaker thing, never used the speakers tbh). Pictures are definitely a selling point of the zenfone 2 laser, and the screen adjustment is DEFINITELY wrong.

edit:

Yeah I just grabbed my wifes phone for a few minutes. Pictures were good and quick, screen was very easy to see outside. Theres a 1-2 second write time, but she has the stupid filters turned on atm.

Last edited:
I probably will return. Need to check new egg return policy.

By any chance can you see if your camera is a circle or square focus ring and run an update to see if it changes anything

Been playing around with co-workers g4 and wife's iphone 6. The iphone 6 is quicker at just about everything. It also feels more responsive/smooth.

I am trying to get away from apple stuff and really wanting to try windows or android. But dam! IPhone has it down. Even apps like heytell,wunderlist, and other non intensive apps are a little slower on this new phone. The options/buttons are in weird places.

First world problems

I am trying to like android. Not sure if it user error on some things and/or resistant to change.

Also this 5.5" inch phone is a little big for my liking.

Thank you for checking your wife's phone for me.

Her's has a targeting reticule. Its not a square nor a circle. It has the laser boxes, and then it looks like a pilots targeting reticule on a fighter jet lol. I am quite unsure what was changed, but shes not home for me to check it out in depth.

Comparing the g4 OR the zenfone to the iphone 6 is going to be a recipe for heart break to be honest. Thats a superior phone... but comes at a FAR more expensive price point as well lol. That said, I never bothered A-B testing any aps, they all felt fine to me. Might be more apparent if youre sitting down comparing them both directly ofc.

Button placement changes on every phone, you get used to what you have pretty quickly. Swapping from my galaxy note 3 to the g4 was... annoying at first.

So I ran my third update. Camera seems better. Still not as nice as iphone 6. But yes your right about a much higher price point.

Yes a jet fighter targeting ciricle is a great way to describe it.

No returns to new egg just exchange. I am happy about battery life considering phone has a large screen.

I will continue to tweak phone to my liking. My whole thought process behind moving away from apple to android was because I wanted more options. Now I find myself running the same apps,but with less options in those apps and slightly slower.

Still weird that I can't turn screen brightness down very low. After reading around it seems this screen is just not as bright as high end phones like apple.

I was spoiled by my 4s without knowing it.

Might look into used iphone 6 with 64GB. I think I have seen them for $300. A great deal vs g5.

Asus Zenfone is the worst phone I have ever used.

More problems with this phone than I care to list. I would not recommend this phone to anyone ever.

I am now using a nexus 5x. I will see if I like this more.

That sucks, sorry to hear that. Glad you went with a 5x though; they're darn good phones.

Back