• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Complete new build, time to replace my 2600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FizbanDK

First of all i want to say thanks as i have been lurking around for a while just reading the forum.

But now its time to build a new computer and replace my old 2600k =)

It will be used for gaming and photo editing mostly.

This is what i plan to get:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero
Intel I7-6700k
Noctura NH-D15
Corsair RM750i
G.Skill RipjawsV DDR-3200 C15 DC - 16GB
Fractal Design Define R5
Samsung 950 Pro SSD M.2 2280 - 512GB

And for now i will keep my Asus 770 GTX and get a new card when Pascal hits us.

What do you guys think about it?

Looks like a solid build all around.

If I were to change anything, I'd go to the EVGA Supernova G2 750W and save some money over that Corsair RM. The G2 is the same or higher quality for less.

I second the PSU, though if you're only going with a single card you could even drop the wattage back a little and maybe save some more.

First of all i want to say thanks as i have been lurking around for a while just reading the forum.

But now its time to build a new computer and replace my old 2600k =)

It will be used for gaming and photo editing mostly.

This is what i plan to get:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero
Intel I7-6700k
Noctura NH-D15
Corsair RM750i
G.Skill RipjawsV DDR-3200 C15 DC - 16GB
Fractal Design Define R5
Samsung 950 Pro SSD M.2 2280 - 512GB

And for now i will keep my Asus 770 GTX and get a new card when Pascal hits us.

What do you guys think about it?

I agree nice rig, you did your homework very well.

Why no mechanical drive if I may ask? I've seen people buy 1TB SSD's before and they STILL bought at least a 750GB spinner for backup and extra storage :p

You could go with a lower cost board that works just as well. ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

You have (or will have) roughly my setup, so ssd/hdd space will be totally dependant on what you need for daily basis. I have one SSD for Windows, another for games and the 4tb hdd for backups/movies/etc...

Change the PSU as E_D said and get 3/4 more GP-14 fans for the case and you're golden :)

Thanks for the replies.

I'll take your advice and get the EVGA powersupply insted.
And was already planning on getting at least 3 more "Fractal Design Fan Silent R3 - 140mm"

About the extra space, i have an 240gb Intel 520 SSD and enough spinners if needed, but most of my data is located on my NAS.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll take your advice and get the EVGA powersupply insted.
And was already planning on getting at least 3 more "Fractal Design Fan Silent R3 - 140mm"

About the extra space, i have an 240gb Intel 520 SSD and enough spinners if needed, but most of my data is located on my NAS.
Is network data movement pretty slow when used this way? I mean most people use NAS only for backup, right?

Back