• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How did i kill my CPU thread! (And Mother Board)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M@rk

My story: I have killed a few CPU's by dropping them, Just dropping the CPU on the floor, Still have a CPU i have dropped and i didnt test much(Since i dont have wondows installed on the machine) only bios, but what i have seen in the bios is that the CPU temperature was -128c, And the clock speed freaked out.

Write your own story!

Last edited:
I normally kill my amd stuff with vcore and heat, works pretty dang well, but takes a bit of time.
I went through a phase of killing intel chips with a hammer and a vise, it was much more efficient than heat and vcore, but not quite as much fun.

I have a habit of killing motherboards not CPU's. I have a whole collection of P3's and three dead CUSL2-C's.
What motherboards did you kill?

I killed a P4 with a automotive ignition coil, it took 3 hours of 80,000 shock volts to kill it.

I have a habit of killing motherboards not CPU's. I have a whole collection of P3's and three dead CUSL2-C's.

I have the same ... almost no CPUs were killed, no matter what I was doing but only in last ~2 years I made about 12+ RMA on motherboards. Right now I have one in RMA. I also had 2 DOA and from older boards I found 2x 775 dead while I wasn't even using them for couple of months.

I have the same ... almost no CPUs were killed, no matter what I was doing but only in last ~2 years I made about 12+ RMA on motherboards. Right now I have one in RMA. I also had 2 DOA and from older boards I found 2x 775 dead while I wasn't even using them for couple of months.
What gives out on the motherboards also what brand gives out the most?

2 x XP1700's (1 vMods 1 Fixing pin's wrong :D)
1 x XP2100 (vMods)
1 X xp2800
2 x nf7-s (vMods)
1 x nf7 (hard drive died with it) Lighting
146opty deliding failure
q6600 (just started dying, Worse case of demising returns I've seen on vcore abuse)
x3320
GD-70 (bad Flash operation)
RE mobo

I didn't want to start on the video card department as it is a much bigger list I liked modding them the most...

2 x XP1700's (1 vMods 1 Fixing pin's wrong :D)
1 x XP2100 (vMods)
1 X xp2800
2 x nf7-s (vMods)
1 x nf7 (hard drive died with it) Lighting
146opty deliding failure
q6600 (just started dying, Worse case of demising returns I've seen on vcore abuse)
x3320
GD-70 (bad Flash operation)
RE mobo

I didn't want to start on the video card department as it is a much bigger list I liked modding them the most...

Haha, I only killed 1 video card and it was my lovely Nvidia gt 220 :C my dad tried to fix it but he said the processor of the GPU died :/ (Probably cause it was almost overheating everytime i played games cause the fan on the heatsink was too small.).

What gives out on the motherboards also what brand gives out the most?

- GB Z87/Z97 OC/SOC ( 5 RMA in total on these ) - dead BIOS and maybe some more, 00 error and couldn't see CPU, issues with CPU socket
- ASUS RIVE/RVE/MVG/MVIIIH ( every ASUS was at least 1 time in RMA ) - dead BIOS, no way to make recovery, issues with CPU socket, issues with memory recognizing ( I assume that because of socket )
- ASRock FM2/Z170 - 2x DOA, one time board died after 2h benching
- MSI X99/Z170 - dead power section, in one case it was moisture, in one just died 1 phase ( some parts were burned )

Looks like 13 boards if I'm counting right. That was only stuff still under warranty or new.

If you ask me what is the most reliable right now then I will say that ASRock and MSI. I have one MSI in RMA right now but I know it was my fault. Except that I still have 2 ASRock and 1 MSI boards which were not in RMA ( yet ) and I have no issues with 2 of them while ASRock OCF has obvious design flaws even though it's overclocking great and is still the best overclocking Z170 board.

I have had back luck with Asus 775 boards under single stage. On the other hand my Gigabyte has no trouble I bet I've killed 10 Asus boards. I will never buy them again.

Heh, Good thing i didnt bought asus :p

Remember SNDS (sudden northwood death syndrome)? Putting more than 1.7v on a northwood P4 would sometimes kill it, like my 2.4C. That's the only CPU I've lost.

Remember SNDS (sudden northwood death syndrome)? Putting more than 1.7v on a northwood P4 would sometimes kill it, like my 2.4C. That's the only CPU I've lost.

I dont think going above 1.5 is good for this CPU :rofl:
I have an Pentium 4 630 that i need to check if its alive, I hope so cause it will be my first HT CPU xD
Edit : Here is a quote from a article http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/p4-2400c-oc_3.html
Our participant had the maximum possible Vcore: 1.55V

Mmm... Killed an Asrock OCFOrmula z97 m while OC'ing a 7970... both went RMA (3rd RMA for the 7970, thanks Sapphire!) :p

CPU survived though...

FX-4100 and FX-9590. dead. Opteron 165. that was dead too. FX-55. Yup that one died. Couple of sA, s754 and 940 opteron.

Once threw a de-lidded Phenom II chip in the gravel parking lot cause I couldn't get it to boot. turns out the bios needed to be cleared. It posted after I tossed it lol. I think that was a 965BE.

motherboards? A couple/few MSI, A few Biostopers. A few Asus. DFI at least once. AsRock once or twice. Some VIA chipsets have seen better days.

What about dead memory? Oh god. the dumpster starts to over flow....

FX-4100 and FX-9590. dead. Opteron 165. that was dead too. FX-55. Yup that one died. Couple of sA, s754 and 940 opteron.

Once threw a de-lidded Phenom II chip in the gravel parking lot cause I couldn't get it to boot. turns out the bios needed to be cleared. It posted after I tossed it lol. I think that was a 965BE.

motherboards? A couple/few MSI, A few Biostopers. A few Asus. DFI at least once. AsRock once or twice. Some VIA chipsets have seen better days.

Poor hardware xDD

I try to sell what I can and what I don't need while it's still worth something and is alive. Often it's too late ...
At least from RAM I sold everything that was collecting dust and memory ( except DDR2 D9 ) is not dying regardless how much I'm pushing it. I mean like DDR3 @2.4V+, DDR4@2V+ ... no issues so far.

I dont think going above 1.5 is good for this CPU :rofl:
I have an Pentium 4 630 that i need to check if its alive, I hope so cause it will be my first HT CPU xD
Edit : Here is a quote from a article http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/p4-2400c-oc_3.html

Their CPU's VID was 1.55v. The VID range was something like 1.3 to 1.55. The reviewer says he was able to reach 3.3GHz without tweaking the voltage, but if you look at his CPUz, it is at 1.712v. That review was from 2003 & I think it was about a year later when the new overclock max vcore became 1.675v.

The P4 630 is a Prescott core, lower VID range (1.2-1.4) and generally known to be smokin hot. :) Fun to overclock on a good board - with good cooling - though.

OC2.4c.jpg

Back